11 Replies Latest reply on Aug 24, 2009 1:26 PM by the_wine_snob

PE7 HDV Export to Tape

gandyco

I have captured HDV video from my Sony HDR HC7 camcorder and have edited it, added voiceover and music, and exported my one-hour production to tape.  I get a perfect product with one exception.  There is always an one or two second freeze somewhere on the tape - only one, never none, and randomly placed on the tape.  This has happened ten or twenty times.  My system is state of the art (with two very fast hardrives) and I have eliminated startup routines, have nothing running in the background (virus detector disabled and internet turned off), use a striped tape, cleaned the camcorder head, defragmented, etc. etc.  It almost sounds like something in the background programmed to run once an hour.  But to the best of my knowledge, everything is turned off.  Any ideas?

• 1. Re: PE7 HDV Export to Tape
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

It certainly is possible that that your operating system has a background process running (indexing, your firewall or even your antivirus, for instance) that's interrupting your output. Without knowing your specs, it's also possible that your RAM is filling up and you're getting a page file dump that's interrupting the process.

One possible solution is to output from Premiere Elements as a HDV file and then use a program like HDVSplit to port that file back to your camcorder. HDVSplit is a free capture utility that operates much more efficiently than Premiere Elements. I don't know it inside and out, but I believe it includes the function to output back to tape.

• 2. Re: PE7 HDV Export to Tape
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Along Steve's line of thinking, I'd do two things first:

1.) make sure that Windows Indexing is turned OFF for your HDD's and all folders on them. This is done via Properties (for the HDD's) in Windows Explorer. Check to turn this OFF for ALL folders. Note: it may take some time for this to take effect. Be patient. Windows Indexing can "lock" files, while it does its "thing." Even though it cannot extract any usable data from the large AV files (and the working files from PrE), it will try every time that one is accessed, or changed. It can cause all sorts of issues.

2.) look closely in Event Viewer to see what Processes/programs are started, or accessed, about the same time as your Burn to Tape. There will likely be no error, or warning messages, as all will go well (except that one of these might interrupt your Burn to Tape). All messages will be just information messages, but might yield a clue as to what else gets started about the same time. Gotta' poke around and you may have to do a lot of reading, but a clue will often be hidden around the same time. It could be something as simple as the OS trying to access the Time, or some equally innocuous sounding Process/program.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: PE7 HDV Export to Tape
              Kodebuster Level 3

If you continue to suspect that some background process may be at fault, you can run "msconfig", and at the Startup Tab select "Disable All".

Then reboot your System.

You will then get a Dialog box after reboot, telling you things have changed via Msconfig.

This is applicable to both XP and Vista.

After testing, you can re-enable all processes via Msconfig, and get back to your original configuration...

Good Luck...

• 4. Re: PE7 HDV Export to Tape
                gandyco Level 1

Dear Kodebuster:

Thank you for your interest in my problem.  Actually, I had already disabled

all of the routines in my Startup Tab at the suggestion of Adobe.  (As an

aside, there are still several routines running in the Services Tab, but

there seems to be nothing I can do about that since I followed Adobes's

instructions and told the machine to Hide All Microsoft Services and Disable

All under Services.)

Nothwithstanding the above, I still get one and only one random glitch (a

two-second freeze) in the resulting tape when I export my Adobe Premiere

Elements project to tape.  Since the project is one-hour long, and since I

always get one and never zero glitches, it seems very likely that something

is running in the background once per hour.  I have disabled the internet ,

my virus checker, and Windows indexing.  What could it be?

Thanks,

Very truly yours,

Sanford Cohen

• 5. Re: PE7 HDV Export to Tape
                  gandyco Level 1

Thank you, Hunt, for your interest.  I have implemented both of your

suggestions, but still have the same problem - one and only one random

glitch (two-second freeze) on every tape to which I export my project.  With

respect to the Event Viewer, I have not gotten any registered events, either

Application or System, during the generation of the tapes.  Since my project

is one-hour long, and since I always get one and never zero glitches, it

seems very likely that something is running in the background once per hour.

I have disabled all of the startup routines, the internet , my virus

checker, and now Windows Indexing.  What could it be?

Thanks,

Very truly yours,

Sanford Cohen

• 6. Re: PE7 HDV Export to Tape
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

OK, you have Windows Indexing turned off for all drives. You have cleane out your Startup to eliminate all unnecessary Processes and programs. You have no AV, spy sweeping, or pop-up blockers running.

Have you disabled all screensavers, and all energy management schemes? What about programs that have auto-update, including Windows? Do you have either Nero, or Roxio? Both have "sniffers/watchers," and can interfere with longer operations, as they want to seize a folder and look inside of it.

When I am doing editing, here is my normal operation:

1.) Have used MSCONFIG to clean out "stuff," including iTunes Helper, and Bonjour Services.

2.) All screen savers, and energy management settings off.

3.) All updating for all programs set to full manual

4.) No indexing, or sniffing from either Windows, or my Nero

5.) Manually turn off AV, spy sweeping and pop-up blockers

6.) Run EndItAll2 to shut down anything else.

7.) Leave both Gigabit LAN and Internet hooked up, but do not use any Internet during these sessions, as my "guard" is down, even behind a hardware firewall.

Now, on the workstation, I use either PrPro, or CyberLink PowerDirector to burn to tape, as I do not have PrE on that machine. Never had one issue and have done this many times.

Other than mention what has worked for me, I cannot think of what this 1 hour interruption might be. Were there any "good" messages in Event Viewer at about that time? These will not be error, or warning messages, but every Process, or program, that starts will have an event. I'll just look like the dozens of other events, but the timing might be a clue.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: PE7 HDV Export to Tape
                      John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Windows Messenger active and checking for a new message?

Are you sure you have auto update set to OFF for all Adobe products?

• 8. Re: PE7 HDV Export to Tape
                        the_wine_snob Level 9
                        Windows Messenger active and checking for a new message?

Yes, I had not even considered that little piece of _____, er "stuff." I alway eliminate it with MSCONFIG, though have to do it with every OS update. MS really wants it on one's machine. I need to write a StartUp script that automatically blows it away, if found. Gawd, what an aggravating thing it is - like a fly that will not leave you alone!

Hunt

• 9. Re: PE7 HDV Export to Tape
                          gandyco Level 1

I had eliminated all auto updates, but I did not know about Windows

Messenger.  According to the options in it, it starts running when Windows

starts and it is always on in the background.  However, I had only expoerted

to tape after I had disabled my network connection.  Do you suppose that

Windows Messenger was still sending a message to the OS periodically?  I

have now disabled the automatic start and the "always on in the background."

Thanks for the suggestion.

• 10. Re: PE7 HDV Export to Tape
                            gandyco Level 1

I did not know about Windows Messenger.  According to the options in it, it

starts running when Windows starts and it is always on in the background.

However, I had only exported to tape after I had disabled my network

connection.

Do you suppose that Windows Messenger was still sending a message to the

OS periodically?  I have now disabled the automatic start and the "always on

in the background."

• 11. Re: PE7 HDV Export to Tape
                              the_wine_snob Level 9
                              Do you suppose that Windows Messenger was still sending a message to the OS periodically?

Could be possible. I always kill it in MSCONFIG first thing, so do not know about all that it might do.

Good luck,

Hunt