10 Replies Latest reply on Aug 23, 2009 4:32 PM by cpk3

Illustrator freezes computer

cpk3

I just loaded a new hard drive (Win Vista 64-bit - 6GB RAM).  I installed Adobe Creative Suite 4.  I use Dreamweaver without any problems.  But when I'm in Illustrator (not even working, just viewing) ... it freezes the entire computer ...mouse, everything locked up, I can't even use Ctl-Alt-Delete and need to do a hard shut down.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

• 1. Re: Illustrator freezes computer
          Wade_Zimmerman Level 6

look at this

http://www.bugge.com/Family-and-friends/Illy/illy.html

It tells you how to move the settings folder (essentially removing a corrupt preferences folder).

But there can be other causes that are related you can have some corrupt fonts or font cache files there are utilities that can remove them.

Keep in mid Illustrator loads fonts when it launches so you need not be using one for it to cause problems.

Then it can b the user account it self and it could just as well be a permissions problem, now keep in mind that the permission problem concept bothers many window users so it is up to you to decide if you want to look into it.

So here is a big part of solving this type of problem for window users the idea that ll of these can be connect is also foreign to them but if you clean out the cache and that is the main problem you should probably repair the permissions at that point after moving the settings folder.

Believe it or not that is one scenario, it can be a plug in as well.

it can be a conflict with another software and one way to find out if it is something other than the settings folder is to create a new user and log in to that
          and see if you can launch the application.

Again none of this is popular with windows users, but don't please blame me for trying to help.

• 2. Re: Illustrator freezes computer
            cpk3 Level 1

Thanks for troubleshooting.  I 'jus't installed the new hard drive and loaded the programs.  I haven't installed any additional fonts.  My prefs folder should be pristine, except for opening and viewing .esp.  Where would you start?

• 3. Re: Illustrator freezes computer
              Wade_Zimmerman Level 6

I gave you all that I know and I am sorry if the information is not 

what you want. It is not multiple choice you have ty the things I 

wrote about if you can't do that I certainly can't be of assistance.

Good luck.

• 4. Re: Illustrator freezes computer
                cpk3 Level 1

I certainly appreciate the information you provided.  The permissions problem is interesting as I had to deactivate before taking the old hard drive out.  Creative Suite 4 installed without any problems but maybe Illustrator needs a setting adjustment.  I'll phone tech support on Monday.

Thanks again

• 5. Re: Illustrator freezes computer
                  Jacob Bugge MVP & Adobe Community Professional

cpk,

... My prefs folder should be pristine, ...

And possibly pristinely corrupted. It has happened before.

• 6. Re: Illustrator freezes computer
                    cpk3 Level 1

I can't locate Adobe Illustrator X or Adobe Illustrator X Settings

I am more than willing to try the suggestion ... I created a folder on my desktop to place the file.

My operating system is Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit

Thanks

• 7. Re: Illustrator freezes computer

cpk,

I can't locate Adobe Illustrator X or Adobe Illustrator X Settings

If you have CS4, the name will be Adobe Illustrator CS4 Settings; similarly for CS3, CS2, and CS. For 10 and below, it will be the version number, without the Settings part.

You will have to search/look for hidden files and folders.

With Vista, restart your PC before restarting Illy.

• 8. Re: Illustrator freezes computer
                        cpk3 Level 1

Found it, thanks!  I'll remove AIPrefs to my desktop and restart ... I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks again

• 9. Re: Illustrator freezes computer

Looking forward to it, cp.

• 10. Re: Illustrator freezes computer
                            cpk3 Level 1

This probably won't come as any surprise to you ... but, I'm having a good day!  So far so good and I even used the program!  I'm going to hold my breath for another day or two.  Thanks so much for the help received on this forum ... I'll report back in a couple days.

Many thanks,
                            cpk3