7 Replies Latest reply on Oct 13, 2009 4:58 PM by Ed@SF

Flash CS4 10.0 for Mac very unstable. Just me?

tallscot Level 1

I've been using Flash CS4 10.0 for a few weeks now and this thing crashes on me about a half a dozen times a day. Am I the only one?

Thanks!
      Scot

• 1. Re: Flash CS4 10.0 for Mac very unstable. Just me?
          Gurflob Level 2

I run the windows version and mine does seem to crash much more often than CS3, but not quite "a half a dozen times a day".

• 2. Re: Flash CS4 10.0 for Mac very unstable. Just me?
            Rothrock Level 5

Have you updated to 10.0.2? It made things much more stable and useful for both my Mac and Windows versions.

I seldom have any trouble at home on my Mac. But I crash quite often with my Windows machine. But even that is maybe only once a day or less.

If you are getting that many crashes I would be looking for something else wrong with your set up or perhaps you are using some file(s) or asset(s) that are corrupted.

Is there something specific that usually happens to cause the crash?

• 4. Re: Flash CS4 10.0 for Mac very unstable. Just me?
              tallscot Level 1

Thanks, folks. I didn't think to look for a update manually because of the auto Adobe updater. I just updated to 10.0.2 and hopefully it will be more stable now.

Thanks!!

Scot

• 5. Re: Flash CS4 10.0 for Mac very unstable. Just me?
                tallscot Level 1

This is still unstable. It crashes about once every 1-2 hours for me right now.

I'm doing simple work with Flash CS4 where I'm opening up illustrations in Illustrator, copying, pasting into Flash and doing simple fades using a motion preset I created with the alpha channel.

Just now, I simply went into TextEdit and copied some text and then pasted it into another field of text and it crashed. It varies on the crashing.

I don't have any 3rd party components or anything like that.

THanks!

• 6. Re: Flash CS4 10.0 for Mac very unstable. Just me?
                  mrdale

I have the exact same issue.  It seems to be related to the number of Symbols in the library.  My client saddled me with a bunch of source material that has gazillions of clipping polygons and after I've imported 8-10 of these things Flash starts crashing every 15 minutes. 

Save early, save often.

Sigh.

• 7. Re: Flash CS4 10.0 for Mac very unstable. Just me?
                    Ed@SF Level 1

Reviving this post/thread.

Already have the aforementioned 10.0.2 (courtesy of this thread about a month ago) and yes, it's a bit unstable (still).

Symptoms:

1. "TEST MOVIE" doesn't seem to "compile correctly"
                      • If you do a test movie, the first time you run it, the movie will not run correctly - usually if you make as3 code changes. You may start pulling your hair out and changning more code - without really needing to.
                        • If you stop/close the movie and just do another TEST MOVIE (aka "recompile" again), it will run as you had expected it to.
                        • I've never needed to do this more than twice, so fair warning to others - don't immediately start cannibilizing your code, just do this twice and only start screaming after a 2nd "test movie" does the same thing (meaning yeah, you hosed something in code).

2. Unsure if this is a Mac or Flash thing - but there are certain instances when saving your work takes longer. Sorry, I'm coming from the PC world here, so that "spinning wheel" (akin to the spinning hour glass on PCs) appears. If this were a large project (in the Flash sense), then I'd expect it to do the same thing each time - it doesn't.

As much as this started off as being a "huh, I thought mysterious hangs only happened on PCs moment?", it finally culminated in a PC like crash of Flash CS4 Pro last night. I did expect some data loss - changes made after last save, but it seemed to revert to a couple of "versions back" - if that makes sense.

So it sounds like a file managment issue (versioning?) - actually both issues above somewhat point to something in this area...

Anyway, just posting this to say, nope, you're not alone in noticing instability of Flash CS4 on a Mac (pro workstation, Intel, Leopard)