3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 22, 2009 1:54 PM by the_wine_snob

How to "edit out" audio in Premiere Elements 7

alaskalover08

As I have already posted before I am new to Premiere Elements 7. Thanks to the help of the wonderful people on this forum we are on our way to completing our video.

We captured a wedding video from our camcorder. Unfortunately the announcer at the wedding spoke the wrong last name for the bride's grandparents. Question #1: We are trying to figure out if there is a SIMPLE way for amateurs to figure out how to eliminate the sound track of the last name.

There were others introduced who did have the same last name as the grandparents.

Question #2: Is there a way to use the correct last name he spoke elsewhere and "paste" it onto the imperfection? If it is possible, how complicated is it? We are true amateurs. I have the Adobe manual and the Steve Grisetti Guide to Premiere Elements 7, if the information is hidden somewhere in either of those books. So far I haven't found it. Perhaps I don't know the correct terminology to look up.

Thank you, Mary

• 1. Re: How to "edit out" audio in Premiere Elements 7
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Hi,Mary. Thanks for supporting the book!

Here's the easiest way to eliminate the name. Remember, you can zoom into the timeline (pressing the + key) to get as close as you need to.

Position the CTI (playhead) just before what you want to cut. Click on the scissors icon on the Monitor to slice the clip.

Position the CTI to just after the part you want to cut. Click the scissos icon again to slice the clip.

Now click to select the clip between the cuts, then right-click and select Remove Audio.

That's the simplest way to do it. It will leave a silent second in the video though.

Cutting and pasting the audio from another section of the video might well work, if it matches pretty well. To do this, place the clip you're going to use the audio from someplace out past the end of the movie on your timeline (just so you have a place to work on it) and trim it so that it only includes the name. Then right-click on the clip and select Delete Video.

You can then place this audio clip on Audio 2, right above where you cut the audio.

If you really want to blend it, see if you can fit the new audio right into the spot where you deleted the old. (As it says in the book, you'll likely need to hold down the Ctrl key to do this.) Once it's in there (assuming it fits) add some short audio transitions on either side of it to blend it with the rest of the audio.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: How to "edit out" audio in Premiere Elements 7
            alaskalover08 Level 1

Thanks for the info Steve. We will work on it tonight and I will let you know if we figure it out.

• 3. Re: How to "edit out" audio in Premiere Elements 7
              the_wine_snob Level 9

I'd probably go at this with an Audio editor, like Audition, but the exact mechanics would be almost exactly as Steve outlines.

The reason for my personal choice would be that I could more easily match up the Audio, let's call them "sub-Clips," with just the wrong word and hopefully the right word, i.e. the name. I do hope that it exists somewhere else. If not, can you have the speaker just say the right word, maybe into your video camera now? As the speaker to try and duplicate the same pacing, to make it easier on you.

If you ambieance does not match, between the incorrect word, that you have removed, and the inserted correct word, you can likely find a snippet of just the ambience from elsewhere, where no music, or dialog exists. Copy that and place it "below" the inserted word. This will help to keep the inserted word similar to what was recorded around the incorrect word. If you do have it correct elsewhere, and with the same general ambience, you're pretty much home free, other than maybe adjusting for pauses between the words.

If you have the right material, regardless of where it appears in your tape, you're going to be fine. It's easier (whether you do it in PrE, or say Audition) to do, than it is to tell you how to do it - trust me.

Good luck,

Hunt