5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 23, 2009 10:46 PM by Wade_Zimmerman

Problems in CMYK with saving a Rich Black colour

akent64

When creating documents for print I need to change the black (K=100) to a rich black (C=30 M=30 Y=30 K=100). After I change the black colours to rich black and save as a .PDF it is not saving rich black and instead some of this vectors revert back to K=100 (a dark grey). Is there a reason why this is happening or does anyone else know of this problem and how did you resolve it?

Thanks

A

• 1. Re: Problems in CMYK with saving a Rich Black colour
          Jacob Bugge MVP & Adobe Community Professional

A,

After I change the black colours to rich black and save as a .PDF it is not saving rich black and instead some of this vectors revert back to K=100 (a dark grey).

Does the rich black save correctly in Illy?

Does it save correctly for some vector objects and not for others?

Does the colour actually change to 100 K, verifiable in Illy, or is it merely the appearance in PDF?

• 2. Re: Problems in CMYK with saving a Rich Black colour
            akent64 Level 1

Thanks for your reply,

No the rich black does not save correctly as when I close and reopen the document in illustrator some of the blacks that were set to C=30 M=30 Y=30 K=100 revert back to K=100 and therefore when sending documents for print at the moment I am having to get them to check all the blacks and supply me with a proof instead of just being able to trust that the RICH black has saved correctly.

It does seem to only happen for some vector objects as when viewing the PDF after save some are rich black and some are dark grey (K=100).

The colour changes are noticable on Illustrator so that when I change in from K=100 to rich black, I can see the black darken on screen very slightly and therefore know what the changes are being made, I can also recheck that the colour has been changed and this is all fine, but it does not save.

Thanks for your time

• 3. Re: Problems in CMYK with saving a Rich Black colour
              Doug Katz Level 4

For clarity, let's put aside the PDF for a moment.

You're saying you: 1) Create a global rich black swatch in an AICS4 document that is definitely in CMYK mode; 2) assign that global swatch to object fills and/or strokes on the artboard; 3) save the AICS4 CMYK document; 4) re-open the AICS4 CMYK document in AICS4.

And upon re-opening, some of the objects you filled or stroked with the rich black swatch have actually changed to 0.0.0.100?

Let's get this clear first, and then we'll try to see what's going on with your save to PDF.

• 4. Re: Problems in CMYK with saving a Rich Black colour
                PrepressPro1 Adobe Community Professional

As Doug puts you through the steps to make sure you are getting the results you are reporting I would like to make sure in step 3) you SAVE AS and not just save. You can use the same name for the file but Save As will overwrite and possibly retain the rich black you have applied.

Here is a technique I would try. Start by selecting all in the file. My example only has swatches of 100% K and a Rich Black 60,40,40,100.

Picture 1.png

Picture 3.png

Go Edit>Edit Colors>Recolor Artwork. There should be swatches for all colors in selected art now in the color edit window.

Picture 4.png

Option click to the right of the 100% K swatch. The program should ask if you want to add a color. Say yes.

Picture 5.png

Your results shold look like this. Now just Command drag the current color Rich black to the New 100% K swatch click, OK and you should have Rich black throughout the file.

Picture 6.png

Do a Save as and reopen to confirm you have the correct results.

• 5. Re: Problems in CMYK with saving a Rich Black colour
                  Wade_Zimmerman Level 6

Besides the fine suggestions above what I would d is make the rich black color a global color then load it using the Live Color Feature.

That is Recolor Art then do your save as.

I would delete any other black swatch.

Or perhaps you have two swatches with similar names like Black and BLack 1