6 Replies Latest reply on Aug 22, 2009 3:12 PM by the_wine_snob

How do you remove PIP from a group of clips

bvcoen Level 1

I have Pre Elements 7 and have two questions:

1) How do I remove PIP from Clips?  I see how to remove other "effects", but there is no trash bin option for PIP presets.

2) Is there away to merge several small clips into one?  Without exporting and importing.

Thanks for the help

• 1. Re: How do you remove PIP from a group of clips
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

Now, if you have a PiP, you have a Clip on Video Track 1 (your background) and a Clip on Video Track 2 (your PiP material). Just Delete the Clip in Video Track 2 (or upper Video Track) and it's gone from the Timeline, though still in your Project.

As for your second question, basically PiP is a combining/compositing of two (or more) Clips. How does what you wish differ from the PiP? Remember, besides the Presets for PiP, there are many, many more ways to do them, and you can customize what you end up with, far more than the easy to use Presets.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: How do you remove PIP from a group of clips
            bvcoen Level 1

Thank you.  I appreciate the help.

I see how to do it follwing your directions, simple enough.  I was trying to prevent deleting my PIP scene (a group of 6 clips) excuse me if I have the terminolgy  wrong...   Because, I created a 30 sec scene out of 10 minutes of choppy whale watching video and I really didn't want to go back and redo that part...  but, I can.

That led to the second question, once I edited my clips into a 6 clip scene, Is there away to merge these into one clip.  (To make it easier to apply pip's smoothly)  However, I am now starting to see how to use POSITION and SCALE to make it all look seemless.

• 3. Re: How do you remove PIP from a group of clips
              the_wine_snob Level 9
              That led to the second question, once I edited my clips into a 6 clip scene, Is there away to merge these into one clip.  (To make it easier to apply pip's smoothly)

Provided that you have SD (Standard Definition) material, the easiest is to move the WAB (Work Area Bar) to include just your 6 Clips and Export WAB as a DV-AVI Type II file. Import that into your Project, and replace your separate Clips with that one. You can Export Video-only, so you have no issues with the Audio. Now, the answer would include one more option, were this PrPro, but this will do what you want.

Here's a look at the WAB:

PE_WAB_Rendering_03.jpg

The WAB can be used for both Rendering and for Export. You just have to make sure that you select it, and not Entire Sequence/Project.

However, I am now starting to see how to use POSITION and SCALE to make it all look seemless.

These are great Effects to become accustomed to using. Remember, you can also Keyframe these Effects, so that they change, as is needed, over time. Once you master Keyframing, you will likely not use half as many Presets for anything, again.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: How do you remove PIP from a group of clips
                bvcoen Level 1

Thanks alot...  I get it now...

• 5. Re: How do you remove PIP from a group of clips
                  the_wine_snob Level 9
                  I was trying to prevent deleting my PIP scene (a group of 6 clips)

Now, there could be differences in PrE 7, but as PiP Presets are basically just Motion>Scale/Position settings, can you just zero these to their previous (Imported) settings to get rid of the PiP? In PrE 4, they are done with Motion>Scale/Position settings. PiP is not really a pure Effect, but a combo of others. Might be something with the Presets in PrE 7, that I just do not know about. As stated above, other than the Project Presets, I usually do things manually, and hardly use any other Presets in a Project - 'cause I am a "control freak," and want to do exactly what I want to do, with the manual controls, even if they are automated via Keyframes.

Good luck, and let me know a bit more about the PiP Effects that you have added. I think I am about to learn something about PrE 7, which is not a bad thing.

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: How do you remove PIP from a group of clips
                    the_wine_snob Level 9
                    Thanks alot...  I get it now...

Great news.

Don't forget about the PiP settings, as I have asked a question, or two, that might save you even more work - that's a goal on this forum.

It could be so very easy, or we might need a slight workaround.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful