6 Replies Latest reply on Aug 23, 2009 4:42 PM by the_wine_snob

Unauthorised copying!

mejanr

Hello,

Is there any way to make it harder for your DVD productions to be copied illegally, or is it just something you have to accept?

Thanks.

• 1. Re: Unauthorised copying!
          the_wine_snob Level 9

One can only add Copy Protection to a replicated disc (commercial replication house), and not to any burned disc. Even with Copy Protection, most can be copied in moments with the right software.

Best you can do is to put a Title with copyright notice and a "plea" to not copy the DVD.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Unauthorised copying!
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Here is a link to the Encore Copy Protection sub-forum. There is still some good info there, but most of this sub-forum, with tons of discussion, was lost with the forum changeover.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Unauthorised copying!
              mejanr Level 1

Hi,

It is so hard to believe that with all the advanced technology we have today, no-one has found a solution. But I guess there is no solution because of the adanced technology that is one step ahead  - Catch 22!!

Thanks for info.

• 4. Re: Unauthorised copying!
                the_wine_snob Level 9

There are a few "advanced technologies," that claim to be able to create "unrippable" DVD's. However, it is anything but cheap, and there are many, who claim that it is not so unrippable, after all. Because of the extreme expense, and the licensing fees, it is not even remotely likely that one would even consider any of these for a burned DVD.

There are a couple of schemes that basically corrupt parts of the DVD, so that it makes copying difficult. However, it also limits playability.

No, unfortunately, mentioning that the material is copyright protected, and appealing to the honesty of the viewers, is about as good as it gets.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: Unauthorised copying!
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Hunt,

Just this afternoon, I ran into this decrypter business when someone asked for how to which involved ripping VOBs from an encrypted DVD-VIDEO.

I was amazed at how easy it was to find sites describing software to rip "anything" from a DVD-VIDEO. What I do not understand is how it is that the law does not put these software manufacturers/suppliers out of business....no one cares unless it hits home??

ATR

• 6. Re: Unauthorised copying!
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Tony,

In the Encore forum, the ease is usually described as "any eleven year old with Google, can rip the DVD in about 5 mins.!"

Now, one of the ways that the RIAA, and others, have addressed pirating, is to get MS to disable the DVD player capabilities on WMP. Still, there are many freeware, and commercial DVD players available that do play DVD's.

Sony has been very active in copy protection with regard to BD. Along the way, they have taken many steps to stop the use of BD for burning, and some firmware updates preclude the use of BD RE discs. I feel that this can bite them, as one of the things that spurred the growth of DVD-Video, was the use of this media to burn, both for home use, and light commercial use. With BD, Sony wants all discs to contain their copy protection, and be replicated, not burned. Obviously, one purpose is to sell the licensing per each title, and then to promote the use of their authoring/burning services from a replicator. If things go, as they seem to be planned, BD will soon be only commercial and most titles from Sony. I think that we are going to rue the demise of the HDV format.

Hunt