22 Replies Latest reply on Aug 24, 2009 2:44 PM by the_wine_snob

No video playback

multiben Level 1

Hey there,

I just installed a demo version of the PPCS4. I have hit a snag immediately in that the video of any file I import is not visible. I can hear the audio, and I can even see the preview frames in the timeline, but I get nothing in the program monitor or the source monitor. I have tried every single video file format on my computer with the same results. Oddly enough if I click on the program monitor I can see the current frame of the video and when I drag the project time bar back and forth I can see the clip changing, but it just stays frozen if I hit play. Once I hit stop it updates. I have no problems playing all this footage on any other program I have tried.

I am using the following setup:

OS: Windows Vista Business with all the latest patches.

RAM: 6 GB

CPU: Intel Core i7 2.8GHz

Graphics card: GeForce GTX 285

Anyone able to offer some sage advice on how to fix this problem?

Cheers,

Ben

• 1. Re: No video playback
          Jim_Simon Level 8
          I have tried every single video file format on my computer with the same results.

Don't do that.  Premiere Pro is a professional level editor, and can be very fussy about what you feed it.  Professional media you shot yourself on a pro camera is your best bet.  For the non-professional editing a variety of 'computer clips', there are plenty of consumer editors that will probably work much better.

• 2. Re: No video playback
            D&R Films Level 1

Do you have the latest Nvidia video card drivers?

I assume you are running Vista 64?

Drivers here

• 3. Re: No video playback
              multiben Level 1

Yep. All drivers are up to date, and yes I am running vista 64bit.

Jim,

I understand that it's a pro level editor, which is why I converted my footage to uncompressed avi (i know i will be losing quality). Upon failing to get that to play I decided to try and play various other files I had. Are you saying that the pro version is not capable of playing or importing common compressed formats?

Thanks for the help so far!

Cheers,

Ben

• 4. Re: No video playback
                D&R Films Level 1

Hmm.. Try using the Adobe Media encoder to convert one to a standard MSDV file or an HDV file. Sounds like an odd xvid or techsmith or some other codec that Premiere is having trouble with.

• 5. Re: No video playback
                  multiben Level 1

Ok, just tried converting some stuff using the media encoder and the process seemed complete without error but still no luck getting it to play. I converted it to uncompressed microsoft avi.

• 6. Re: No video playback
                    Jim_Simon Level 8

What exactly happens with the Uncompressed media?  What are the specs of that media (resolution, frame rate, PAR, etc.)?  What are the sequence settings you're trying it in?

• 7. Re: No video playback
                      Jim_Simon Level 8
                      Are you saying that the pro version is not capable of playing or importing common compressed formats?

Common compressed playback formats (MPEG, Divx, Xvid, H.264, MP4, FLV), yes, that's what I'm saying.  Standard compressed camera formats (DV, HDV, DVCPRO HD) it can work with.

• 8. Re: No video playback
                        D&R Films Level 1

Give it a bit more credit.

multi_format.jpg

FLV, F4v, Xvid DVD rip (MY DVD.. No pirating here) and Blu-Ray Mpeg2 all play and edit just fine on the same timeline.

Now, I think you were trying to say that to be safe for "editing" it's best to use an editing friendly codec.

Right?

=)

• 9. Re: No video playback
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Ben,

Maybe I missed the specs of your "Imported files," but those will tell everyone exactly what you have, and will probably lead to instructions on how best to handle the material. See this ARTICLE for some background and also how to determine exactly what you have.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
                          • 10. Re: No video playback
                            multiben Level 1

Thanks for all the replies so far guys,

Jim, I will look up the settings when I get home tonight.

Hunt, thanks for the link. In my attempt to get this working I have tried importing quite a number of different files - mpg encoded with ffdshow, xvid, divx etc. In theory, if I imported these files using Adobe Media Encoder to Microsoft Uncompressed AVI, shouldn't that put them in an appropriate state for Premiere, regardless of their original format or codec?

Cheers,

Ben

• 11. Re: No video playback
                              John Currie Level 1

Ben

Your problem with playback may be caused by having ffdshow installed, uninstalling this may still not cure the problem, it probably will require a total rebuild of ypur system, or a wind back using a previously saved disk image.

John

See post #12

http://forums.adobe.com/message/1713037#1713037

• 12. Re: No video playback
                                Harm Millaard Level 7
                                In my attempt to get this working I have tried importing quite a number of different files - mpg encoded with ffdshow, xvid, divx etc.

[Sarcasm on] I think congratulations are in order.

This must be about the most extensive list I have ever seen here, of  things God has forbidden, and Premiere as well.

[Sarcasm off]

• 13. Re: No video playback
                                  multiben Level 1

Ok. Here's where I'm at. I just converted a VOB file from a PAL dvd using virtual dub. I converted it to uncompressed AVI. I created a new sequence in PPCS4 using the settings DV-PAL 25fps Standard 48kHz. Still no video in the source monitor. Still no video when I play the sequence.

Could I ask someone to kindly supply with me a short snippet of DV footage (I don't have a pro camera) so I can verify that the issue is not to do with the source files I am feeding premiere? That would be great.

Cheers,

Ben

• 14. Re: No video playback
                                    D&R Films Level 1

multiben wrote:

Could I ask someone to kindly supply with me a short snippet of DV footage (I don't have a pro camera) so I can verify that the issue is not to do with the source files I am feeding premiere? That would be great.

Cheers,

Ben

That's why i suggested you try the adobe media encoder. You have it... it has presets for microsoft DV (no reason to make uncompressed.. just make DVCPro25 Microsoft DV .avi). It will make the file regardless if Premiere is having trouble showing overlay on your screen.

• 15. Re: No video playback
                                      Harm Millaard Level 7

I have a strong feeling that in all your efforts, you messed up your system in such a way that a complete reformat of your hard disk and a complete reinstall of OS and programs is the only way to get out of this mess. You have so many codecs and other crap installed, that this seems the only way out. Good luck, and in the future NEVER install a codec unless you are absolutely sure you NEED it, it is STABLE, and does not CORRUPT your system. You have apparently been trespassing on all accounts.

• 16. Re: No video playback
                                        John Currie Level 1

Ben

Totally agree with previous two posts.

To satisfy your curiosity to test your system with an AVI file captured from a camcorder the attached file is a PAL 25 fps AVI type 2.

John

1 person found this helpful
                                        • 17. Re: No video playback
                                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Ben,

Please go back to about Reply #11, from John Currie. I'd completely remove FFDShow and try again. If you got it through an installation of K-Lite CODEC pack, or similar, I'd completely remove that along the way. I am NOT a fan of any CODEC pack, and find that most really fritz up a system.

Now, as for that "list" of attmepted CODEC's. All are "delivery-only" CODEC's. I do not think that one is meant for editing. Do not know about Windows Media Encoder and how well, or poorly, it might work, but you'll have better luck, if you convert to DV-AVI Type II w/ 48KHz 16-bit PCM/WAV Audio. I use a shareware converter, DigitalMedia Converter, and it handles most of those delivery CODEC's just fine.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - please report if the removal of FFDShow helps.

Message was edited by: the_wine_snob Corrected previous poster's name

• 18. Re: No video playback
                                            the_wine_snob Level 9

John,

You beat me to the punch. I had just started converting an NTSC DV-AVI Type II to PAL, when I saw your post.

I also think that you might be "right-on" in post 11, with FFDShow (or maybe some of the likely candidates that were installed with it). Sorry that I had to go back and get your name entered correctly - my memory told me "Crane," and had to edit.

Thanks for stepping up with some test footage. Now the OP can test, both with, and without FFDShow.

Hunt

• 19. Re: No video playback
                                              John Currie Level 1

Dear Hunt (Bill)

The clip was rattling about on my HDD, just had to trim to beat the 5MB limit.

I saw the your email and Mr Crane reference, wasn't until I revisited the post that I realised there was not any Mr Crane. I'm off to enjoy an evening glass of Chianti now, if we ever meet state-side we must share a bottle.

John

• 20. Re: No video playback
                                                the_wine_snob Level 9
                                                I saw the your email and Mr Crane reference, wasn't until I revisited the post that I realised there was not any Mr Crane.

Yes, "Mr. Crane" went to byte-heaven. In the old fora, one could scroll all messages for things like that. Now, it's just the mesage, to which one is replying. I have to go from memory, and we both can see that that's not a good thing. As soon as I posted, I went to check, as it just did not seem right, when I typed it - it wasn't. You had to be quick to catch it, as I thought I'd made the correction, before anyone would notice. I got caught.

I'm off to enjoy an evening glass of Chianti now, if we ever meet state-side we must share a bottle.

Enjoy your Sangiovese. Had a wonderful "new style" Barolo on Sat. night, and it paired amazingly well with everthing from scallops to flank steak. I love my IT wines, but do not know them as well, as I would like. Gives me a reason to always order them!

We can share that bottle.

Thanks for posting the test file for the OP,

Hunt

• 21. Re: No video playback
                                                  multiben Level 1

Thanks so much for the file John. Unfortuately I get the same results which confirms for me that there is something seriously wrong. I have uninstalled FFDShow and Xvid. They were the only 2 codecs I had manually installed on this machine. Both of them came directly from the manufacturers websites - not from a codec pack. Still made no difference. I guess I'll have to consider a rebuild

Thanks to all who responded with helpful suggestions and advice - I have found this to be a particularly good forum in that regard!

Cheers,

Ben

• 22. Re: No video playback
                                                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Ben,

Sorry that FFDShow's removal did not do it for you. As it has caused others grief in the past, I thought that it was a likely candidate.

Good luck,

Hunt