25 Replies Latest reply on Sep 2, 2009 6:26 PM by the_wine_snob

Why won't my Canon MVX40i upload video to Premiere?

Kurt_777 Level 1

Hello All,

Having video capture problems.

I've checked the FAQ and followed the tips mentioned in some of the threads there, but Premiere 7 will not see my camera. I'm running Windows Vista. I've switched the camera to vcr mode; I've connected it correctly using the firewire cable that came with the computer; and I've installed the software package that came with the video capture card, (er... a Pinnacle bundle). I've checked Device Manager and it tells me that the device drivers are loaded for the card and it is working correctly. I've checked to see if my camera brand is supported, and although my particular model of Canon isn't listed, I believe it should still work, being a bog standard Canon min dv tape camera.

I've tried capturing via Windows Movie Maker, but even that app can't detect my camera.

This is a new computer which I've just bought this week. I've never used it to capture video before. Never used it for anything yet, for that matter. I have used my camera on my eMac to capture video to iMovie4, and it always worked perfectly.

I can't recall if I had some software with the camera that I installed into the eMac, but I doubt it.

Can anyone help? Thanks.

Cheers,

Kurt.

• 1. Re: Why won't my Canon MVX40i upload video to Premiere?
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

The fact that you can't capture with MovieMaker either indicates that this is likely a hardware issue, not software.

Ensure that your miniDV camcorder is connected by a FireWire (IEEE-1394) cable. Premiere Elements will not capture from this camcorder via USB. (Camcorders generally ship with USB cables, not FireWire cables. Double-check to ensure that is indeed a FireWire cable you're connected with.)

BTW, you don't mention if, when you're connecting your camcorder, Windows is playing the bing-bong tone and an icon of a camcorder displays on your task bar. If this is not happening, then you are definitely not getting a connection.

• 2. Re: Why won't my Canon MVX40i upload video to Premiere?

There is also something strange in this camcorder's specs.

Although it is a miniDV camcorder, it appears to also have some photographic abilities too -- including the option to capture low resolution digital video to its flash memory.

If this is the video you're trying to capture, it's not going to download over FireWire.

• 3. Re: Why won't my Canon MVX40i upload video to Premiere?
              Kurt_777 Level 1

Steve,

The camera is connected by the firewire cable to the 1394 socket on the

computer. And the video I'm trying to capture is mini dv footage from the

tape, and I'm using the same output socket that I have used in the past when

I connected the camera by firewire to my Apple computer.

I don't get the bing-bong and no icon shows. What I get is a message

saying the camera is "offline."

I agree that this might be a hardware problem, either with this particular

camera, or with the video capture card that was installed in my computer.

I'll be talking to the store today and see what they suggest.

Thank you,

Kurt.

• 4. Re: Why won't my Canon MVX40i upload video to Premiere?
                the_wine_snob Level 9
                I agree that this might be a hardware problem, either with this particular camera, or with the video capture card that was installed in my computer.

With FW Capture, you will not be using a Capture card, only the camera, the cable and the FW socket, hooked to your MoBo.

Now, if you cannot get Windows to see your camera, then there is most likely something wrong with one of those three. If the camera and the same cable, work on your Mac, but not on the PC, it could well be that your FW socket is dead. Do you have any other FW device to test with?

Also, when doing a Capture, make sure that you have no other FW devices connected to your computer, unless you know for certain that you have multiple controller chips for your FW connections - most MoBo's do not, though many PCI/PCIe cards do.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: Why won't my Canon MVX40i upload video to Premiere?
                  Kurt_777 Level 1

Well, that's interesting! I assumed the capture card was necessary to get video footage into my computer. I had them install a mickey mouse biggie for that very reason. 

I know the camera is good, since I used it only last week on my Mac. And I've tried the FW cable that came with the new computer, as well as the old cable I've always used. I'm connecting to the FW socket in the back of the computer which I presumed was the socket attached to the capture card. But from what you tell me, maybe that one is not working.

There are two more FW sockets ion the back, so I'll try connecting to them and see what happens.

By the way, I'm finding that my new computer is actually running slower, (with 4G RAM and a 2.83 GHz CPU), than my older computer did, (with 1G RAM and a 1.2 GHz CPU). Programs run hesitantly, screens don't refresh as fast, and video doesn't play all that smoothly. My older computer used XP, but this new one uses Vista. I'm beginning to believe all the bad news I've read about Vista.

• 6. Re: Why won't my Canon MVX40i upload video to Premiere?
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

I hope that the other FW connectors work better.

As for Vista, it comes with a ton of baggage. Most of it is not very useful, and does sap performance. Steve has several FAQ's in the FAQ sub-forum on optimizing Vista. These would be my first stop.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: Why won't my Canon MVX40i upload video to Premiere?
                      Kurt_777 Level 1

Thanks, Hunt. I have checked the FAQs already. I think you're right that there's a hardware problem. I'm taking the box back to the store today to have them check all the hardware they installed, and also to delete Vista and install XP. Was going to do it myself, as I've done hard drive erasures before, but this time it's a bit daunting.

Thanks for your help.

I'll let you know how it goes.

Cheers,

Kurt

• 8. Re: Why won't my Canon MVX40i upload video to Premiere?

I've got to come to Vista's defense here, Hunt. Assuming Kurt has allowed the OS to update, he should be at SP2 by now, which have virtually none of the problems and "baggage" of the original Vista release. Assuming he's tuned Vista up, per the FAQs to the right of this forum, his computer should have no problems running this program or editing video.

But the fact that Windows isn't registering the connection to his camcorder is a bigger issue -- and I'm sure we're right about it being a hardware issue.

I also want to clarify one thing: A FireWire card is not a capture card, technically. Capture cards are old-style technology that was necessary to get analog video into a computer. The card changed the format of the video by digitizing it.

A FireWire card connected to a miniDV camcorder, on the other hand (whether it's on a Mac or a PC), merely streams the video as is from the camcorder. The digital video data is unchanged in any way.

That's why, if Kurt can get a hardware connection, he'll have no problems capturing his video from that camcorder.

• 9. Re: Why won't my Canon MVX40i upload video to Premiere?
                          Kurt_777 Level 1

Hunt, I've only just bought the computer, with Vista already installed. I haven't had time to check if it's the very latest version, because I had to take it right back to get the firewire problem fixed. I have perused the FAQs and I will at least try those fixes to get the most out of Vista.

But I've googled the XP vs Vista debate extensively and it seems Vista is almost overwhelmingly panned. There are even cynics who suggest that MS has a history of deliberately issuing new versions of Windows which add nothing except more tinsel and glitter to appeal to the easily wowed. I know from my own experience that the programs which used to run at light-speed on an XP system with less RAM and a slower CPU, now stutter and hesitate on my 4GRAM 2.8 GHz machine running Vista. This is simply indefensible.

Granted, the fixes you offer will probably boost the performance a bit. But I didn't pay all that dough just to get something that needs twice as much work just to make it run half as well as the one I was using before!  

I mean, for a start, Vista uses half of my new RAM just to run itself! That's just plain nuts!

Anyway, not your fault of course. Just saying, is all.

Cheers,

Kurt

• 10. Re: Why won't my Canon MVX40i upload video to Premiere?

Vista is a victim of the Windows ME syndrome. It got such a well-deserved bad rap when it was first released that nobody cares how much it eventually improved. Vista SP1, and now Vista SP2, is a perfectly good operating system, particularly now that third-party driver providers are providing the support they should have three years ago (including Apple, which did everything it could to sabotage iTunes support for Vista).

In fact, Windows 7, the operating system that will be released at the end of this year, owes more than it would like to admit to Vista and the lessons learned with it.

Sorry. I don't mean for this thread to digress into a discussion of Vista. But I do want to assure you that, if there are problems with yours or any computer, a well-maintained Vista is probably not at the heart of it.

• 11. Re: Why won't my Canon MVX40i upload video to Premiere?
                              Kurt_777 Level 1

Seems the first thing I'll need to do when I get the box back is to check and see which version of Vista they gave me. I suspect it's not the new improved one, though, because I did notice a reduction in speed from XP.

In a way, it will be good if it's upgradable, because that would save me the time, effort, and expense of going back to XP.

Thanks for your help, Hunt.

Cheers,

Kurt

• 12. Re: Why won't my Canon MVX40i upload video to Premiere?
                                Kurt_777 Level 1

Steve, just to put you out of suspense, , while the box was still at the store, I lost my nerve and called them up to tell them to delete Vista and install a fresh copy of XP.

Got it back, hooked up the camera, and voila! it uploaded my video!

They didn't do anything else to the system. They had checked the firewire socket and mobo and video card etc, and it was all good. The guy did download a bit of software that he thought the computer might need to recognise my camera, but in the event I didn't install it. Probably wouldn't have made any difference anyway.

So, I don't know what this says. The obvious conclusion is that Vista just didn't like the camera, but you seem positive that couldn't have been the problem, and I'm sure you know what you're talking about. Might have to put it down to the Bermuda Triangle syndrome.

Either that, or the guys at the store had screwed up with the firewire connection and just didn't like to admit it!

Anyway, all's well that ends well.

• 13. Re: Why won't my Canon MVX40i upload video to Premiere?
                                  Kurt_777 Level 1

Oops, sorry Steve! I called you Hunt instead of Steve! Must have neuron damage from staring too long at monitors, obviously.

• 14. Re: Why won't my Canon MVX40i upload video to Premiere?

Kurt, any solution is a great solution!

Happy moviemaking!

• 15. Re: Why won't my Canon MVX40i upload video to Premiere?
                                      the_wine_snob Level 9
                                      Anyway, all's well that ends well.

So long as you are up, Capturing and editing, we can all reserve judgement on what the root cause might have been. It could have been a jumper misplaced, or a setting in the computer's BIOS chip. If it is working now, that may be "as good as it gets." Personally, I could live with that. Builders, of all sorts of things, make mistakes.

For my birthday, I gave myself a very high-end LP gas grill to replace one that had worked well for over 20 years. It was a beautiful, shiny stainless unit, and cost 2x what my father paid for a '59 Chevrolet station wagon, back then. The grill was hard to light, and kept eating the backup batteries. I had service out about four times, and was finally referred to the mfgr's TS department. They insisted that it could not be their fault, because they test each grill before shipment, so mine had to have broken by the retailer/delivery group here. I was told that to have one of their techs come out, it was going to cost me additional $. Well, after a bunch of registered letters, the mfgr. sent their local tech, and he found that one connector had been bent in assembly, and that the igniters were only drawing current from the backup batteries. He exacted a quick fix, for a mfgr. error, as was gone in 30 mins., after a complete checkup. After 4 weeks of effort on everyone's part, the grill was up and running perfectly. I've put it through all the paces, and it's now time to follow up all those letters, with the resolution and a thank you for the people who tried to fix the issue, plus the one, who did. Love the grill, but I think that their TS department employees came over from the computer software/hardware industry! Still, by b'day present works great. Now, if I could only get it to quit burning my pork ribs!

Hunt

• 16. Re: Why won't my Canon MVX40i upload video to Premiere?
                                        Kurt_777 Level 1

That's exactly right, Steve! Now that it's working, I'm not gonna tempt Fate by asking why.

Cheers,

Kurt

• 17. Re: Why won't my Canon MVX40i upload video to Premiere?
                                          Kurt_777 Level 1

Hunt, now that it's up and running, it's impossible to point to the original cause. Although, I think you and Steve were both right in that it was a hardware problem. Even though going back to XP coincided with the system working properly, it's still possible that the real problem was that the boys in the back room at the store had actually messed something up, and that they discretely fixed it when I took the machine back, but "forgot" to mention it. I'm sure they didn't object to my paying for a new copy of XP!!

Still, I like XP, and I'm comfortable with it. Probably set myself a bit of a task, trying to learn a new editing program while also trying to get used to a new OS!

That's the trouble with computer technology. Unless you're a whiz kid, you can be told anything and be expected to buy it. Kinda like when women take their cars to a mechanic!

Your gas grill experience sounds kinda familiar. Funny how everybody runs for cover, when a simple fix up front would keep the customer happy. I can believe that the grill would cost twice as much as a '59 Chevvy. I remember when my Dad bought a brand new Holden (an Australian car) in the 60s, it was $2000!!!

Another coincidence - my new computer, and Premiere, were my birthday present to myself! That's what I told my wife, anyway.

Thanks for your help, Hunt.

Cheers,

Kurt

• 18. Re: Why won't my Canon MVX40i upload video to Premiere?
                                            the_wine_snob Level 9

Kurt,

With the setup of a MoBo, there are a lot of little dip switches, or jumper, or a combo. All it takes is for the wrong one to be in the wrong position, for something to get fritzed up. Most techs can do this in their sleep, unless they hit a new MoBo. Still, a good tech will run down the check list, and then dbl-check everything. I've seen connections to FW (and other) ports, that just did not get hooked up, even when all switches and jumpers are correct. "Stuff" happens. Next, some BIOS have additional settings, that need to be addressed. Again, there is a check list, and it needs to be followed, even if one has done 100 Award BIOS setups, each setting needs to be addressed. Any of these three situations could well be the problem, or maybe something that I am not thinking of.

Next, Vista has differences, beyond XP. Again, most computer builders do not know NLE machines, nor do they know design/image machines. They set up 100's for e-mail and MS Office. Beyond that, they just do not see things like an NLE box. Going back many years, a great client was the creative director of a large university. She was the only design person on the network of maybe 3000 computers. Her IT department was good with their optical network, and at setting up machines for database work. However, they had zero experience with a design/image computer and kept messing hers up, trying to make it 100% like the other 2999 in their domaine. She finally got to where she'd sneak me in, when everyone else had gone home, just to set up her computer for Photoshop, Quark, PageMaker and Painter. I'd correct a dozen problems, and get her display running. In a month, some IT person would come in and reset everything, and she could not get any work out. After about three of these Mission Impossilbe episodes, I finally set security on her BIOS, so no one but her, and I, could access that machine. IT sent her memos, that she ignored, and never could break the code to access her computer. Luckily, she had no real IT issues, and we continued this for about two years, until she left. I went back in, and reset all security, so her replacement and IT would not be locked out. It was not that they meant any harm, but that they had no clue what her machine needed to do. Same with many computer shops. They just never see machines like these and do not know how to address the unique issues - hardware and software. Could be one of many Vista settings, that got in the way. You may never know, unless you go drinking with one of the guys from the "back room."

Now, I wish that we did know, as it might help someone else. Still, there is good info in this thread, and you are Capturing and editing, so all else is right with the world.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 19. Re: Why won't my Canon MVX40i upload video to Premiere?
                                              Kurt_777 Level 1

You're right about that, Hunt! I know just a little bit about the guts of computers - just enough to get into trouble, as the saying goes. So I'm happy to leave it to the experts. I wouldn't even lift the hood of a new car today, even though I spent a lot of time working on my cars when I was a kid. Just too much to know. I don't really blame those guys at the store, because with computers, anyone can make a mistake. It amazes me that they understand all that stuff at all!

When I first sat down with the sales guy and told him what I wanted in the box, he admitted he didn't use NLEs and didn't know much about them. But he did know the standard products for a computer that would be dedicated to them. I told him what I wanted to do with the computer, and he selected the hardware. I selected the software later.

Having said that, I've since seen computers with much more grunt than mine, and I realise that mine, though perfectly good for the jobs it'll be doing, isn't the brute monster I first thought it was. But then, I was building to a price as well, so I'm not complaining.

Best thing is that I know exactly where to come now to get advice!  And I don't even have to get in my car!

Cheers,

Kurt.

• 20. Dang! Here we go again!
                                                Kurt_777 Level 1

I had everything going great. Premiere saw my camera, I was able to upload video, g*d was in his heaven and all was right with the world, etc.

But last night I installed my Corel Draw Graphics Suite 12, which no doubt you all know something about. I also installed Corel Paint Shop Pro, Corel Painter, Corel Painter IX, and Corel Painter Essentials. Yeah, I'm a glutton for graphics gear.

Anyway, guess what, this morning Premiere won't see my camera any more. Gives me the same message that it's "offline".

I've done all the correct things, and it should work. But it doesn't.

Now, the obvious conclusion is that something in one of those Corel apps that I installed has thrown a spanner into the works. And I should uninstall each of them, one by one, to see which one is the culprit.

But I thought, before I do all that, I'd ask you guys about it. Have you ever had a problem similar to this? Is it something specific to Corel, and if so, what is it. And if it's about drivers or whatever, do you know a good way to track down the problem?

Over to you, guys.

Thanks,

Kurt.   

• 21. Re: Dang! Here we go again!
                                                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Unfortunately, I cannot comment on most of those Corel apps. I've used Painter (since it was Fractal Design, about version 2.x), and have IX, but never any issues with anything on my workstation. I do use WordPerfect, but that is not even close to the other Corel apps., that you mention.

Before I do any major installations, I always do a manual Restore Point. If I get into trouble, I create a new Restore Point and then  I boot to Safe Mode and do a roll-back to the earlier Restore Point, to see if that addresses the issue. If it does, then I know that something in the installation is amiss and can address that issue.

Good luck, and let us know how you solve this issue. While the timing seems to point at Corel, it could well be coincidental and might be something like an OS update that came in about the same time - or something else entirely.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 22. Re: Dang! Here we go again!
                                                    Kurt_777 Level 1

Well, guess what. it's working again, and I didn't have to uninstall any Corel stuff.

I'm thinking that was just a coincidence.

But I'm learning that my camera/software relationship is apparently a hot and cold affair! Sometimes the camera feels like talking to the software, sometimes it doesn't. I have to coax the camera, by turning it off and then on again, and manually playing some tape, before the software will turn around and pay attention.

Eccentric &*%# computers!!

Could also be a faulty cable.

• 23. Re: Dang! Here we go again!
                                                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Kurt,

From the PrPro forum, one user, Jim Simon, found that his Panasonic was very critical of exactly how it was plugged in and turned on, relative to how the Capture module for PrPro was launched. I do not recall exactly what sequence worked for him, but think that it was plug in camera, turn it on, launch PrPro and then launch the Capture module.

Think about the possible sequences, and see if one is the key for you. By this, I mean:

Launch PrE, plug-in and turn on camera, then launch the Capture module

Plug-in, turn on, launch PrE then the Capture module

Plug-in, but leave off, launch PrE, then the Capture module and THEN turn on the camera

Etc, etc.

Keep notes, and if you find the perfect sequence, write that on a sticky on your monitor and do it that way all of the time.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 24. Re: Dang! Here we go again!
                                                        Kurt_777 Level 1

Yes, I've learned that video editing is very much a workflow process, Hunt. Especially when I'm capturing in PE7, exporting to Virtual Dub for some processing, then saving as avi, then importing into Particle Illusion for some fancy spfx, then back to PE7 for burning to DVD!

I've started keeping a log of steps, otherwise I'd get hopelessly lost.

Kurt.

PS: The on/off/reboot/camera procedure does get the computer to see the camera eventually.

• 25. Re: Dang! Here we go again!
                                                          the_wine_snob Level 9

That is a step in the right direction. Remember, take good notes!

Hunt