3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 23, 2009 10:12 AM by kglad

shared object in flash for stats

codeBeastAdobe Level 1

Hi.

I have a gane that uses shared object and keeps note of highscores and users names. So - if that is possible then I can set up teaching courses on standalone pcs can't I? ie: Databses I have in access can go in XML and the recording of position in course and results of tests can also be recorded using Shared object.

Is that a good way of going about things OR should the whole thing go over to AIR and its sqlite system?

• 1. Re: shared object in flash for stats
          kglad Adobe Community Professional & MVP

if you're trying to create a highscore record for more than one user (or, at least, more than one computer), you'll need to use server-side code and files.  if you're only trying to create a personal highscore record for each user, then the sharedobject will work.

• 2. Re: shared object in flash for stats
            codeBeastAdobe Level 1

Well yes, at the moment its for standalone desktop app but in the future we will go the online route for many scores - with php and mysql. There are tutorials and sample code for this and it looks very easy indeed. BUT if we want multiplayer its a little more difficult. Few people are giving me much help re: multiplayer which is where the difficulty lies. I will try and talk to you here and if not well hey ho.

I've been told to use smartfox or flash media server - sockets with mysql (for stats), php and xml (with the questions). It all sounds quite straight forward. Is there any tricky business I should know about. Have you any good tutorials? or indeed any freelancers that this would be easy for?

Cheers if you can help and cheers if not. (You always helo me a lot anyway) If you caome to Spain you have some sangria and paella waiting for you. lol

Gerry

• 3. Re: shared object in flash for stats
              kglad Adobe Community Professional & MVP

if timing is an important factor, there may be latency issues for you to contend with.

your best best is to use google to search for a tutorial that covers something analogous to what you need.  or, if you want to hire a free-lancer, send me an email via my website:  www.kglad.com