7 Replies Latest reply on Aug 23, 2009 10:01 AM by Harm Millaard

Canon Vixia HV40

Soula-55 Level 1

I am using premiere pro CS3 on Windows XP professional.

I have difficulty capturing from tapes. First of all this camcorder is not recognized. Sometimes no capturing is possible, sometimes it does capture but the capture preview pane is totally black, the clips though seem to be correct.

Is there a way to correct this problem?

Thanks to all

• 1. Re: Canon Vixia HV40
          Harm Millaard Level 7

There is no capture preview with HDV. It may be better to use HDVSplit for capture, because this freeware offers scene detection, preview and no OOS errors. Everything PR should have offered for a long time, but still doesn't.

• 2. Re: Canon Vixia HV40
            Soula-55 Level 1

Thanks Harm, one more question: in order to be able to edit the captured clips, and export in mpeg format, what is the best plugin available that I will need to use?

Also, will upgrading to cs4 give me any great advantages? I should mention that I do not do very complicated projects, it is the quality that concerns me more.

I downloaded and tried the HDVsplit utility. Very useful!!!!!!  Thanks again

• 3. Re: Canon Vixia HV40
              Harm Millaard Level 7

There is no need for a plug-in. PR has it all included. I would upgrade to 4.1 because of the tighter integration and the better support for HDV, XDCAM, etc. 4.1 for me at least appears more stable.

• 4. Re: Canon Vixia HV40
                Soula-55 Level 1

Thanks Harm, I was told by someone that I need  a plugin to be able to edit the mpeg files that I get with the camcorder. They said that it will give me the opportunity to have "smart" rendering. Is that true? would I have any advantage if I were to use some kind of magical plugin?

Regarding the upgrade, I appreciate your opinion, in due time I will have to take the plunge....

• 5. Re: Canon Vixia HV40
                  Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

That would be the  MainConcept™ MPEG Pro™ HD 4 plugin

Unfortunately Smart rendering is not available under current Premiere Pro CS4 releases, because of a defect in its plug-in API. Future updates of Premiere Pro CS4 and MPEG Pro HD 4 will solve this.

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Canon Vixia HV40
                    Harm Millaard Level 7

PR comes with all the codec and other stuff required to handle HDV efficiently. No plug-ins required, but...

as you were told when you want smart rendering, that is something PR does not do. It may be that the MainConcept plug-in can do that. I don't know, because;

1. I have in the past had some negative experiences with the MainConcept plug-ins and returned them.

2. Even though their prices have dropped, I still consider it pricey.

3. On my system I do not miss smart rendering.

Visit their website and have a look for yourself, but I repeat, it is not needed.

1 person found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: Canon Vixia HV40
                      Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

One should not have to buy a plugin for that it ought be a standard feature especially for HD(V).

Several other NLE have it.