4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 25, 2009 4:22 AM by yenaphe

Help: AE crashes on invoking plug-in

theloststory Level 1

hello

i am new to AE. trying to render an AE file but AE keeps crashing with this error:

After Effects error: crash occurred while invoking effect plug-in "Ripple".

same for another plugin I used

After Effects error: crash occurred while invoking effect plug-in "Brightness-Contrast".

Details : I am running AE CS3 8.0.0.298, on MacBook Pro 2.8Ghz, MacOSX 10.5.7 (4GB RAM, 512 VRAM)

My file resolution is 2048X1556, pixel aspect ratio : 2

(i also tried a square pixel aspect ratio, but it still crashes)

Interesting thing to note: when I reduce the resolution from "full" to "quarter", it doesn't crash.

Any thoughts on how to solve this? am designing titles for a friend's film.

I have always been doing it on Combustion/FCP but find AE more user-friendly, perhaps because I am extremely comfortable with Photoshop.

• 1. Re: Help: AE crashes on invoking plug-in
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

I suggest as a first thing, that you turn off OpenGL completeley by removing the plug-in out of the AE folder. It should be in Applications:Adobe After Effects CS3:Support Files:Plug-Ins:Extensions:AE_OpenGL.plugin. Brightness/Contrast is an accelerated effect and may cause problems because of this. If that doesn't help, replace the effect with another. You can get the same result with Levels, Tint, Curves and an array of otehr standard tools. For your Ripple, use the Radio Waves effect with a blur in combination with Displacement Map. You may need to pre-compose the Radio Waves, but it should offer an alternative. I'm reasonably sure, though, that the issue here is the brightness effect, so it may not be necessary to also "fix" the Ripple.

Mylenium

• 2. Re: Help: AE crashes on invoking plug-in
            theloststory Level 1

hello mylenium. tried that. didnt work.

i wil try and create a new file altogether and see if it works. thanks for the reply.

if I have to use round-abouts for simple plugins then there's something serously wrong with AE.

• 3. Re: Help: AE crashes on invoking plug-in
              Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Actually in Brightness/ Contrast there seems to be some weird bug that only occurs under some circumstances. To my knowledge it hinges on the new calculation model vs. the legacy mode. I'm aware that it could be potentially annoying, but using Levels and otehr effects does not strike me as too much of a problem. I for instance never use Brightness/ Contrast, but rather Hue/Saturation or Levels. I guess it all depends....

Mylenium

• 4. Re: Help: AE crashes on invoking plug-in
                yenaphe Level 4

I would also run an update on your CS3 version because 8.0.0.x is not the latest one, it's 8.0.2.

If you can have it render correctly in quarter resolution, maybe it's a memory issue too. Is MultiProcessing enabled ? If yes turn it down.