11 Replies Latest reply on Aug 25, 2009 8:09 AM by the_wine_snob

What dpi & quality when resizing pics in PSE for use in PRE?

ElisabetB

For use in Premiere Elements 7:

When resizing my digital camera pictures in Photoshop to the reduced sizes 1000 x 750 you recommend when panning & zooming, there are a couple of additional choices.

One asks for the Resolution in dpi.  Should it be 600, 300, or less?

The other thing is:  Convert files to ??? JPEG max quality or standard or what?

I'm still a beginner at Premiere, so please don't get too technical!

Thanks, Elisabeth.

• 1. Re: What dpi & quality when resizing pics in PSE for use in PRE?
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Actally, dpi is meaningless in Video. Out of habit with the creation of New Images in PS, per my Video settings, I have it set to 72ppi, but again, that is meaningless - it's just a habit with me to make sure that everything matches. All of my PS Actions set this, but it's the pixel dimensions that count. Both the dpi and ppi are for printing, and for Web display. Video does not care.

I use a .PSD (PS's native format) for everything. Again, this is just my habit and my workflow. I am personally less a fan of JPEG compression, for for low-compression and Video dimensions, it's not a big deal. Again, all of my Actions Save_As .PSD. If I need to animate the Layers, I do not Flatten. If I do not need to animate my Layers, I leave them un-Flattened.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: What dpi & quality when resizing pics in PSE for use in PRE?
            ElisabetB Level 1

So the dpi is not important when I resize my pictures, so I can just leave it at 300 (that's where it was prefilled) ?

But as to the other part of my question, the Photoshop El.7 screen asks for ... JPEG Max quality or high quality or less, your answer is that you use psd.

I don't have a clue about psd.  I feel overloaded with learning new things at the moment and I'm getting nowhere with my slideshow, and would like to know if I have to use psd or if I can use JPEG, and if I can use JPEG, which quality would I use for PRE 7?  Do I use the best quality available, or will the result be unnecessarily cumbersome to work with?

I'm probably asking a stupid question, but please help me out.

I'm not looking for professional quality, just doing a vacation video, but I'd like for it to be watchable.

Thanks!

Elisabeth.

• 3. Re: What dpi & quality when resizing pics in PSE for use in PRE?
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Do not worry about asking questions.

As for the .PSD's, these are Photoshop's native file format. They are uncompressed, and can contain Layers of several sorts. Now, I do not use PSElements, so do not know how it would differ from the full version of PS that I use. PS also does NOT have a SlideShow feature, so there could be major differences here. [See, you asked a question that I cannot answer!] If PSE does not list .PSD files as sources for SlideShows, then totally disregard my earlier comments on that workflow. I do all of my SlideShows in PrPro, which does Import .PSD's and in more ways, than PrE does.

Now, JPEG is a compressed file format. This means that some of the data is "thrown away," when the file is Saved_As JPEG. How much will depend on the "Quality" settings. The higher the Quality, the less data is discarded. The inverse is also true.

Now, there are two considerations, regarding image files for Video. One applies only to .PSD, and both apply to JPEG. The main one is the Image Size. This will be the horizontal and the vertical sizes in pixels, say 720 (h) x 480 (v). This applies to both (actually to TIFF's, PNG's, GIF's, TGA's, etc, but we're talking about JPEG and PSD only for now) file types, and applies equally. The Quality setting is the degree of compression. Higher Quality = less compression. This is where PSE is saying to use the higher Quality - in the compression settings. PSD files are not compressed, so this does not apply to them.

Hope that this clears things up a bit. I'll try to track down whether PSE can use .PSD files, but if you have the program, you might want to check the Help (F1) files, under File Formats, and also under SlideShows.

Just for clarity sake, here are the "codes" in my post:

PS = Photoshop

PSE = Photoshop Elements

PrPro = Premiere Pro

PrE = Premiere Elements

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: What dpi & quality when resizing pics in PSE for use in PRE?
                Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Well, my book has all the answers, if you're interested, Elisabet!

PSDs are Photoshop files. Unlike most file formats, PSDs save their image data in editable form, including layers and text. It also saves this image data losslessly -- so the files can be rather large.

JPEGs were invented primarily for use on the internet, and their chief advantage is that their image data can be compressed, so that the file sizes are much smaller. (This is why your digital camera most likely saves its photos as JPEGs.) But compression does not come without a cost. If you re-open and re-save a JPEG several times, you'll eventually start to affect the integrity of the image.

With photos that you plan to use in a Premiere Elements, a JPEG is probably just fine. High quality is a good setting, and that's anything over a 7. (You can probably compress your files even more, if you don't plan to re-open and re-save the file, but you probably don't need your file to be that small, unless you're using it online.)

• 5. Re: What dpi & quality when resizing pics in PSE for use in PRE?
                  ElisabetB Level 1

Thank you Hunt and Steve,

My PSE 7 does have the possibility of resizing it to .psd.  I may try and do that another time.  I have no idea if I have to learn new things for it, and my brain is full, can't stuff much else in there for another week at least!

For now, I'll just use the JPEG setting and will remember not to save and/or resave the pictures any more than necessary In PSE.

Thanks again,

Elisabeth.

• 6. Re: What dpi & quality when resizing pics in PSE for use in PRE?
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Normally, I link to this ARTICLE, but could not find where I did upthread. When you want to dig more deeply into resizing, you might give it a read.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS if I did link to it above, I apologize.

• 7. Re: What dpi & quality when resizing pics in PSE for use in PRE?

Not to stray too far from the topic, Elisabet, but where do you find settings for saving your PSD files at a decreased size?

Short of flattening the layers, I don't know how that's possible.

• 8. Re: What dpi & quality when resizing pics in PSE for use in PRE?
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Steve,

I cannot answer for PSE, but in PS, I can resize and Save_As .PSD in any size, keeping my Layers. As I Import some .PSD's with Layers intact, into PrPro as a Sequence, to animate the Layers, I have that capability in many of my Actions. For most Imports, I do Flatten, and just keep the images in .PSD form, as that is my workflow.

With Actions and with File>Automate>Batch, I never break the .PSD chain, as I'm doing the Destination Folder as my "Finsihed PSD's" folder.

Now, if I were going to Save_As JPEG, then yes, I would Flatten, Delete any Alpha Channels (won't work in JPEG) and also any Paths. Since I do not Save_As JPEG very often (most often with Save_For_Web), I seldom encounter these situations.

Maybe you can educate me on how PSE might differ, as I do not have that program. I know that there are many similarities, but I do have to have my memory refreshed from time to time, as to how PSE differs from PS.

Thanks,

Hunt

• 9. Re: What dpi & quality when resizing pics in PSE for use in PRE?
                          ElisabetB Level 1

Steve, I find this setting in Photoshop Elements 7.

Click on File, Process Multiple Files, and then near the bottom of the page it says Convert Files to...

It has a drop down menu with JPEG Max Quality prefilled, but when you check that menu, there are other choices including psd.

Elisabeth.

• 10. Re: What dpi & quality when resizing pics in PSE for use in PRE?

This will indeed save your files as PSDs -- and you can change the image sizes at the same time -- but you can't COMPRESS a PSD, the way to can a JPEG, to change the file's size.

A single-layer 640x480 pixel PSD will always be the same size (~307k) while a 640x480 JPEG can be compressed as small as 22k or as large as 300k.

• 11. Re: What dpi & quality when resizing pics in PSE for use in PRE?
                              the_wine_snob Level 9

Good news for me. I had become concerned that there might be a limitation in PSE and was about to rewrite my suggestions on workflow.

Now, for some, the file sizes could be an issue, and one that must be considered. It's rather like doing work to go to the Web, where one must balance the quality of the image vs the file size. I'm blessed with tons of HDD real estate, and never even consider compression, unless I have a compelling reason for doing so. Along the way to the prep. of my still images for Video, I will usually have the camera RAW file, and often a DNG backup of that file. Next, I will have my .PSD from the RAW image and will work on it at full-size (camera capture size), with all Adjustment Layers, and the like. This is also saved in this form. Once complete, I'll prep and resize for Video, so I have yet another .PSD, though in a smaller image size with the PAR corrected for my Video Project's setting. The RAW, DNG (if I do one), and the original "working" Layered .PSD are stored in the archives, and the resized .PSD's are with my Project, in a "Still Image" sub-folder in the Project's folder hierarchy. Regardless of what happens, I still have my working .PSD's to fall back on, and even the RAW & DNG, if I had to go back to that level.

Now, if one did have HDD real estate issues, going from the "working" .PSD's to a high-quality JPEG would be a good step. In PS (full-version), Save_For_Web would be the best method, as it will Flatten the .PSD, and eliminate any Alpha Channels and Paths in the process. You can also set it for a high-quality compression. I'd still urge the saving of the "working" .PSD - just in case. I do not know if PSE has Save_For_Web, or similar. It might be slightly more involved with PSE, as one might have to include Flatten and the deletion of Alpha Channels and Paths in their resizing Action. I just do not know.

Thanks for the clarifications folks, I really appreciate it.

Hunt