6 Replies Latest reply on Aug 25, 2009 4:08 PM by Cris is Bliss

side by side color comparison

Cris is Bliss Level 1

Hello

I would like to know what is used in Premiere Pro and AE for side by side comparsion for color correction.  In FCP there is something called Frame View

Thank you

• 1. Re: side by side color comparison
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Chris,

If ganging displays does not do it for you, look to some of the CC Effects, like Fast Color Corrector. You can set a "before/after" 50/50 view. [Very Important] Just remember to disable this, before you Export! I do not recall all of the various CC Effects, that have the same, or similar.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: side by side color comparison
            shooternz Level 6

A 'Reference Monitor' may also be of help .

One can be opened from a number of locations in PPRO depending on what you need to do.

• 3. Re: side by side color comparison
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Craig,

That was my first thought, but am waiting to hear if the "ganged monitors" helps, or not.

Thanks,

Hunt

• 4. Re: side by side color comparison
                shooternz Level 6

Reference Monitor works if the OP wants to compare ( and CC/Grade or effect) one clip to another clip.

Means two or more clips can be open simultanously.

Cant imagine that ganging them  works for this instance.

Ganging them works if you display the waveform monitors  etc in a reference monitor.

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: side by side color comparison
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Craig,

You caught me. I mis-spoke, and mis-used terms that I should know better than to do.

My reference was to the Source Monitor, besides the Program Monitor and NOT to "ganging." Duh! Thanks for the correction - you were gentle...

With the Source Monitor and the Asset loaded, it will show the "before," where the side-by-side Program Monitor will show the CC Effect applied to the instance of that Clip in the Timeline..

Also, the Split-screen in some CC Effects will do the same. I use a 50%-50% split for much of this, but then must remember to turn that OFF, when done.

Hunt

PS - too bad there is on "egg on the face" smilie. Maybe I can download one somewhere, as I need it here.

• 6. Re: side by side color comparison
                    Cris is Bliss Level 1

Thank you for the help.  Use of the reference monitor was what I was looking for in premiere pro.  It also helped in ganging the Reference when using the scopes.  Now all I have to do is learn how to read the scopes and make adjustments in the clips to reflect the "correct" scope bounderies.

Thanks again to all