5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 5, 2009 9:45 AM by Keephowlin

Premiere CS4 won't link to After Effects

Keephowlin

Hi,

I first bought and installed Premiere CS4, then later decided to buy Production Premium CS4.  I uninstalled Premiere first, then installed Production Premium, and then did all the Adobe updates to bring everything to the current.  Everything works well except trying to use Dynamic Link from Premiere into After Effects causes the "Adobe Dynamic Link Requires Adobe Production Premium" error message.  I scoured the forums and found a suggestion to uninstall Production, run the Adobe WinCS4CleanupScript and then re-install Production.  I did all that (painfully) and then re-ran the Adobe Updater.  Many hours later, I still have the exact same problem.  I can use Dynamic Link from After Effects into Premiere, but cannot link to After Effects from Premiere.  I can't do the "Replace with After Effects Composition" either (same error).

It seems to be related to the initial Premiere CS4 install and something possibly lingering in a registry somewhere, but I cannot find it and I've spent a lot of time uninstalling and reinstalling.  I'm running under Vista-64.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Rob

• 1. Re: Premiere CS4 won't link to After Effects
          Jim_Simon Level 8

Unfortunately, your best bet may be to wipe the hard drive and start fresh, reinstalling everything from the ground up.

On the plus side, you should do this at least once a year anyway to clear out all the old registry debris and other junk that accumulates on any computer system.

• 2. Re: Premiere CS4 won't link to After Effects
            Keephowlin Level 1

Thank you for the suggestion.  My system is only a few months old, and thus not really bogged down with old registry stuff yet.

Fortunately it did not come to a reformat for me.  I created a Case on Adobe Technical Support, and the solution was to just go into Premiere and Deactivate (with the "Erase my Serial Number from this Computer" checkbox selected).  Then reboot and go back into Premiere, which prompted me to re-register the Production Premium product.  Bam!  That was it...  Of course I had to wait about a week to get the Tech Support answer, but I just wanted to publish the fix for anyone else later.

Best regards,

Rob

• 3. Re: Premiere CS4 won't link to After Effects
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Thank you for reporting. As yours is not a common situation, it's good to know the "fix." Glad that TS came through. They have been getting hit pretty hard by folk, who were not so lucky, so it's nice to hear a good outcome.

Appreciated,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Premiere CS4 won't link to After Effects
                Jim_Simon Level 8
                I had to wait about a week to get the Tech Support answer, but I just wanted to publish the fix for anyone else later.

That's funny.  it actualyly would have been faster to do a complete reinstall.

• 5. Re: Premiere CS4 won't link to After Effects
                  Keephowlin Level 1

Good point, Jim.  If this was in the critical path of my project, it would have been faster (in calendar time) to just reformat the whole system.  I'm still in pre-production right now, so I spent the time learning many techniques that will help me down the road in my project.  Having to stop everything and rebuild my system would have been far more impacting to my progress.  Further, to later find out that it would have only taken me 5 minutes to resolve would have really steamed my clams!

With all the marketing upsells from Point-Products into Suites, I'm surprised this isn't a bit more common.  Hopefully someone else down the road can use this thread to have an easier time with it...

Best regards,

Rob