10 Replies Latest reply on Aug 24, 2009 8:21 AM by Colin Brougham

premiere 4 not recognising capture location

supercool37 Level 1

I'm running 4 on a Mac and am capturing HDV files from a Sony V1.  I have selected my capture location to be an external hard drive with about 290GB of space.  When I begin to capture the capture duration reads 27MB, which I presume means it's not actually recognizing the amount of space in the capture location.  This results in me only being able to capture about 22 minutes of footage on tapes that are running 50 minutes in length.  I also notice a lag of 2-3 minutes by the time the tape's timestamp reaches 10 mins. Sorry to start a new thread, if this question has already been answered please re-direct me!  Thanks.

• 1. Re: premiere 4 not recognising capture location
          Harm Millaard Level 7

I would not worry about the MAC messages. They can be completely off. HDV is around 12-13 GB per hour. Had you gotten a PC, you could have used HDVSplit, which is freeware and saved a lot of $$ in the same process.

• 2. Re: premiere 4 not recognising capture location
            supercool37 Level 1

Thanks, good to know that it could be a misreading.  But that doesn't explain the problem I'm having where I can only capture the first 22 minutes of a recording and then the capture stops on its own.

• 3. Re: premiere 4 not recognising capture location
              Colin Brougham Level 6

How is your external capture drive formatted? With what filesystem? FAT32 or HFS? By my calculations, 22 minutes of DV/HDV is pretty close to 4GB, which is the filesize limit for FAT32-formatted disks. It's convenient for cross-platform compatibility, in that it's both read/write capable on both PCs and Macs, but it's not very efficient for video applications due to the filesize limit. I think a lot of off-the-shelf external drives come formatted this way as your average computer user isn't working with files that large, and most aren't technically savvy enough to know that they should be using NTFS for PCs and HFS for Macs. The hard drive manufacturers simply use FAT32 so they field that many fewer support calls about "why don't my 'puter look at my disk drive".

You can check your drive's filesystem using the Disk Utility in OS X. You can also use that utility to reformat as HFS, which you should do if it's not already. Be aware that you'll lose everything on the drive, so you'll want to back up all of its contents to another location before going ahead with that step.

If FAT32 doesn't seem to be the problem, post back and we'll rethink.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: premiere 4 not recognising capture location
                supercool37 Level 1

Ok, now we're getting somewhere.  I am capturing the files on a Mac for transfer to a PC, as it turns out, which is why I formatted it as FAT32 instead of HFS.  I understood the 4 GB file limit when transferring onto the drive, but I hadn't really thought of a capture as a 'transfer' exactly, which is really silly now that I think about it.  For some reason I thought since I was taking the footage right from the tape to the hard drive, rather than putting it on my Mac (or any other drive) and then transferring it to the hard drive, the rule didn't apply. Silly neophyte.

I've read about software that can get you around this issue if you are going between a Mac and a PC, which I suppose is the only other route I can take.  Anyone tried this?

Thanks for that, I thought I had the format stuff worked out but I wasn't thinking about it quite right.

• 5. Re: premiere 4 not recognising capture location
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Unless you must also share this external with a PC, I'd go with Colin's suggestion to format it fully to HFS. The only reason that I can think of to keep the FAT-32 would be if it ever has to read by a PC, though if that PC had a copy of MacDrive, the HFS would be a non-issue, unless the PC was running a much older copy of Windows. Then, the cure would be to update the PC.

Colin,

I think your calculations are spot-on. Yes, it could be coincidental, but I do not think so. When I pick up a new external, they are almost always FAT-32 and with the Mac structure on them. I just Convert and Format, if necessary, to NTFS, and away I go. Now, with the NTFS, I cannot swap to a Mac, but I keep a couple of older externals as FAT-32, and know the ~4GB limit for the file sizes.

Good call in my book,

Hunt

• 6. Re: premiere 4 not recognising capture location
                    Colin Brougham Level 6

Good deal. Actually, I frequently use the same workflow: for a couple of projects I'm working on, I have to capture using a Mac with FCP because the source footage is BetaSP and the Mac has a BMD Decklink card. I capture to DV, simply to make editing easier, with the intention of recapping at uncompressed upon completion of the project (it's a documentary with a fairly straightforward style, so an EDL to finish on FCP should work--I hope). Anyway, since Mac OS X will read NTFS but won't write to it, I capture to external drives formatted with HFS+. Once I move the drive to my PC, I then use HFS Explorer (free) to copy the DV MOVs to my PC's editing drive. Now, HFS Explorer isn't quite as slick as MacDrive, in that it doesn't mount a drive so it's navigable in Explorer and other Windows applications, but again, it's free and it copies files very fast. I use it on a weekly basis, and have never had a problem with it. If you want a more seamless experience, you'll have to pony up for MacDrive, which is a good solution--but I like free, as in free beer.

Hope that helps!

• 7. Re: premiere 4 not recognising capture location
                      Colin Brougham Level 6

Yes, FAT32 is something that needs to go the way of the dodo. I was reading the other day (I was actually researching this very issue for my own workflow needs) that apparently the new(est) version of OS X and Bootcamp ship with NTFS and HFS drivers, so that both file systems are readable from one OS or the other. Say whatever you want about Macs, but I think this is a step in the right direction, and removes a huge barrier for those of us who need to function in both realms.

If you need to access an NTFS drive from OS X and you're not on the latest version, check out NTFS-3G and MacFUSE. MacFUSE is an open-source project that allows for various filesystem drivers to be written for Mac and allow access to foreign filesystems, such as those for Windows (NTFS, which is what NTFS-3G is) and Linux. I've used this particular application/driver with great success when needing NTFS access on the Mac. It's actually a lot more slick than the HFS Explorer option mentioned above, because the NTFS drive mounts like any other on the Mac is directly accessible from Finder. You can open and perform file operations right in Finder and other applications, without needing to copy the files from the drive first. However, in my experience, read/write access has been several orders of magnitude slower than what you can achieve with HFS Explorer on a Windows box. Typically, my workflow is to use an HFS-formatted drive when I need to move between the Mac and PC, and use HFS Explorer, but it's great being able to go both ways in a pinch.

• 8. Re: premiere 4 not recognising capture location
                        the_wine_snob Level 9
                        I have to capture using a Mac with FCP because the source footage is BetaSP and the Mac has a BMD Decklink card

Colin,

I was getting tears in my eyes, until I got to the end of the sentence. Thank's for qualifying your reasons. I was about to post, "say it ain't so... "

Hunt

• 9. Re: premiere 4 not recognising capture location
                          the_wine_snob Level 9
                          Yes, FAT32 is something that needs to go the way of the dodo. I was reading the other day (I was actually researching this very issue for my own workflow needs) that apparently the new(est) version of OS X and Bootcamp ship with NTFS and HFS drivers, so that both file systems are readable from one OS or the other.

Oh, I agree about FAT-32 and the Mac's, as well as FAT-32 and the PC's. Thanks for the update on the Mac OS. Now, I can at least question my Mac clients, as to what they have. I hate having to compress the bejesus out of an AV to get it under ~4GB, so that I can ship it out on one of the FAT-32 externals. Some folk are adverse to FTP, etc., and want the files on a HDD.

Update appreciated - now for all of my Mac-clients to switch over, and I can finally ditch FAT-32 forever.

Hunt

• 10. Re: premiere 4 not recognising capture location
                            Colin Brougham Level 6

I was getting tears in my eyes, until I got to the end of the sentence. Thank's for qualifying your reasons. I was about to post, "say it ain't so... "

Yes, it's not my ideal solution, but you do what you have to do when the mortgage is on the line. Actually, if it weren't for my receptiveness to working on a Mac and FCP, I'd be missing out on a ton of great, interesting work right now--and I'd be living in a box. That said, I've gotten really good at firing laser beams of pure hatred through my eyes, aimed at Steve Jobs. FCP isn't bad... it's just misinformed

Would that I could, I'd go back to the good ol' days of pounding on Mac OS9 and Avid MC Xpress. Odd as it may seem, it's the golden standard for me. Of course, it's what I first learned to edit with--I came into the game amidst the transition from edit controllers to keyboard and mouse--so it's my first love. Kind of like that first bittersweet crush on the cute and utterly unreachable girl down the block...

<sigh>