My application requires to read an excel file, select a particular record based on the ID value entered and then show a subset of all the fields of the record...can you help me with this?
Here is how I'd do it:
- upload the file to the server using flash.net.FileReference class. (This is important! If you are in FB3 with Flash Player 9 and this is not an AIR project this is the ONLY way to read from a file; on the server side)
- Read and store the contents of the file on the server using some kine of library; in J2EE based server applications, for example, there is Apache POI. I'm not sure about other server side engines like .Net, PHP and the rest but there's got to be some native or third party library to read from Excel
- Store the read data somewhere; in a database temporary table, in application or session scope...
- Send another request from Flex client to read this data using HttpService class -- assuming you're not using RemoteObject -- in some format that Flex understands e.g. XML, JSON, etc
- Read and display data on result event of HttpService's call
Here is another read on the topic: http://flexblog.faratasystems.com/?p=85
I hope this helps.