10 Replies Latest reply on Aug 24, 2009 8:33 AM by the_wine_snob

How important is rendering?

Dogminder Level 1

Hi, I'm usng CS3 Pro.  Can somebody tell me is it always necessary to render a project before exporting or burning to DVD?  I'm only asking because I have some rather large projects which will take ages to render, and I don't want to have to waste time rendering them if it's not absolutely necessary. Many thanks, Brian

• 1. Re: How important is rendering?
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Basically, Rendering is for getting a smooth preview of your footage on the Timeline. If you do not need to check your Effects, or Transitions with the footage playing smoothly, then there is no need. In CS4, with some Export formats, the Render files CAN be utilized to speed up Export. However, you must factor in the time to Render in the first place. It will probably be close to equal, but maybe a test of both ways will confirm that one is faster.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS Welcome to the forum

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: How important is rendering?
            Dogminder Level 1

That's an enormous help. Thank you. Brian

• 3. Re: How important is rendering?
              Harm Millaard Level 7

You don't need to render. Rendering is done for fluid playback in the timeline, not for the encoding, unless you instruct the encoder to use those rendered files. If you don't render the timeline, the encoder needs to render, taking longer. If you render the timeline, that takes time, but if you then instruct the encoder to use those rendered files, the encoding time will decrease. In the end it makes no real difference in terms of time required at least as the sequence settings match your export settings. If you have material A and need to encode to material B, you are better off not rendering the timeline.

• 4. Re: How important is rendering?
                Dogminder Level 1

Thank you Harm - that's a bit technical but I think I understand it (sorry I'm still a bit thick on all this). Thanks again, Brian

• 5. Re: How important is rendering?
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Brian,

What we're saying is that if you DO need to Render for smooth, fluid viewing of the Timeline, those Render files can also be used with some of the Export schemes. If so, the total Export time will go down, as the existing Render files will be used.

However, if you do NOT need to have that smooth, fluid viewing, there is nothing to be gained by doing the Render and then the Export. Export will do a Render anyway.

Rough example:

Render = 5 mins.

Export using Render = 5 mins.

Total = 10 mins.

No Render = 0 mins.

Export = 10 mins.

Total = 10 mins.

It's about what you need. At least if one does need to Render, they will also likely play a role in the Export, if so selected.

When I am doing a bunch of Keyframing, or intricate Transitions, I might Render a dozen time (using the Work Area Bar, WAB) to see my work as smoothly, as is possible. If I then go to Export, those Render files will be used, if I choose, but I needed them for viewing smoothly.

Good luck, and hope that this makes sense.

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: How important is rendering?
                    Colin Brougham Level 6

One time when you actually DO have to render is when you're working on a sequence that you intended to export to DV tape. If I'm remembering correctly, if your sequence isn't already rendered (ie. has a green bar over it in the timeline), the Export to Tape function will automatically render the sequence before playing it back to tape. If you're working with DV footage in a DV sequence, and you make no changes that require rendering such as adding transitions or effects, the program will simply playback to tape and initiate recording.

• 7. Re: How important is rendering?
                      Dogminder Level 1

Thank you guys so much. That's exactly what I needed to know.  This forum is so helpful. Thanks again, Brian

• 8. Re: How important is rendering?
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Brian,

Mention has been made of the "red" & "green" lines, in the Timeline. Red = needs to be Rendered for smooth playback (or per Colin's comment above), and Green = Rendered, or not requiring Render for smooth playback. Here is a look at that line. Might be from PrElements, but it's the same look for PrPro:

Render_Timeline.jpg

This is just to point you to where we're referencing, in case you need to find it.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 9. Re: How important is rendering?
                          Colin Brougham Level 6

You're most welcome. One thing I forgot to mention: there is no need to worry about sections that don't require rendering being rendered, if it's not needed. For example, if you see only a few small areas of your timeline appearing with the red bar, and a lot of sections without the red bar, if you initiate a render only those sections needing it will have preview files created. This is probably obvious, but I thought I'd mention it anyway.

• 10. Re: How important is rendering?
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

Colin,

there is no need to worry about sections that don't require rendering being rendered, if it's not needed. For example, if you see only a few small areas of your timeline appearing with the red bar, and a lot of sections without the red bar, if you initiate a render only those sections needing it will have preview files created

Good point, and one that I failed to mention also. I find that I get too caught up in my workflow, and fail to list other little details, that the OP might benefit from.

Thanks,

Hunt