16 Replies Latest reply on Aug 27, 2009 3:31 AM by Videoman 1

CS4 Audio Export Problem

Videoman 1

Hi

I'm fairly new to CS4 and have picked up an audio export problem, more than likely with a setting of sorts. For some reason when I export to MPEG2 -DVD via the Media Encoder, the video portion is fine as well as any audio that has been placed and edited on tracks audio 1 and 2 in PP. However, if there is additional audio placed on tracks 3 or 4 for example (say a music MP3 overlay) then this does not come out ... only audio placed on tracks 1 and 2 in PP come out. I have checked the obvious like making sure the tracks aren't muted etc but to no avail. Also tried changing from PCM audio to MPEG ... Stereo to 5.1 mixdown ... nothing doing.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks and regards

Videoman 1

SA

• 1. Re: CS4 Audio Export Problem
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Videoman,

Odd behavior. I often use up to 28 Audio Tracks with no such problem.

Now, besides Muting, one can Bypass Tracks. Check by Rt-clicking to make sure that Bypass is not checked (assume it's still in CS4). Next, go to your Audio Mixer Panel, and look at the meters for each Track. Do they show Audio? Look for the Mute switch there too. Look on the Audio Track Header, and make sure that there is no Muting there (assume that this is where you looked).

You don't have any Track Mapping, do you?

Thanks for trying with the MP3 to PCM/WAV. Save me mentioning that.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: CS4 Audio Export Problem
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Still just thinking here:

Display your Track Keyframes (from Audio Track Header - Keyframe Display). Any attenuation of those particular Tracks? If so, then you can Delete them, or reset them correctly with Audio Mixer.

What is the Audio setting for your Project/Sequence? You mention 5.1, but are you doing a DD 5.1 SS Sequence and using the SurCode encoder plug-in to Export to DD 5.1 SS AC3?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: CS4 Audio Export Problem
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Oops, one more:

Rt-click on one of your "silent" Clips in those lower Audio Tracks, and tell us what the Audio Gain is set to, please.

So many places to look!

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: CS4 Audio Export Problem
                Videoman 1 Level 1

Thanks for those suggestions Hunt ... tried them all, and FWIW, also checked the audio gain on that MP3 lying in audio track 3 ... it's -3.5db ... but I don't think this is the problem as the moment I simply move this MP3 audio one up into audio track 2 in PP, all is fine and the audio is audible once rendered. At this stage I'm just not sure if it's a setting in PP "before" I export to Media Encoder, or perhaps an audio setting in Media Encoder itself.

Any other suggestions by anyone would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Paul

• 5. Re: CS4 Audio Export Problem
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Paul,

Do me a favor. Please post a screen-cap of your Timeline, showing the Audio Tracks, with their Headers, and the Audio Mixer Panel open above. Maybe I can spot something there. Hint: use the little "camera" icon to attach the JPG.

Adobe_Forum_Image.jpg

There has got to be a problem with those lower Audio Tracks, as this is not normal behavior.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: CS4 Audio Export Problem
                    Videoman 1 Level 1

Hi Hunt

Please excuse my ignorance, but just exactly how in PP4 does one save and export a screen cap.

Thanks

Paul

• 7. Re: CS4 Audio Export Problem
                      Harm Millaard Level 7

You use a program like SnagIt from TechSmith.

• 8. Re: CS4 Audio Export Problem
                        John Currie Level 1

Paul

A hand-knitted way of screen capture is:

(Assuming a PC)

1      Make sure PPro is the active window.

2      Press Alt + "Print Screen" keys simultaneously

3     Open PS or similar photo application

4     File>New from Clip Board, resize/crop as required in the application

5     Save the resultant image as JPG, after annotating if required.

John

The other way is probably easier but this is free.

• 9. Re: CS4 Audio Export Problem
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

John,

I've got a few screen-cap utilities and even with their hot-keys, do 99% of mine, just exactly as you outline. Takes but moments, even if I end up drawing circles, squares and lines, plus the text. Normally, I Save the Layered .PSD, as I can often re-use them for others' questions, and then Flatten and Save_As JPG. I use a PS setting of 9 for the image, so that others can read pretty well. If I get a screen-cap, that is just not large enough, or clear enough for my tired old eyes, I Save_Image and open in PS, so I can Magnify and scroll, as is required to see all the detail.

Hunt

• 10. Re: CS4 Audio Export Problem
                            Videoman 1 Level 1

Thanks Harm ... got SnagIt and with a few helpful YouTube tutorials ... am in business. Hunt and John, also thanks ... the other method equally as good. Now, I have attempted to attach my screen shot which should display my CS4 timeline and associated audio monitor windows above. By the way, this was for a wedding and as indicated, you will notice an MP3 lying in audio track 3 which as mentioned is my problem as it is not audible after render via Media Encoder. But remember, the moment I slip this MP3 up into audio track 1 or 2 above ... problem solved. I know there must be something small like a setting gone wrong or incorrect. As mentioned, any help would greatly appreciated.

Thanks to you all.

Regards Paul ( Vryheid, South Africa )

Screenshot 1.jpg

• 11. Re: CS4 Audio Export Problem
                              the_wine_snob Level 9

Paul,

Screenshot+2.jpg

I'm not sure if we're looking at Track Keyframes, or Clip Keyframes. Your lower Audio Track Clip has the Levels turned to -oodb, or nearly so. If Track Keyframes, then when you move that Clip up, they will disappear. If Clip Keyframes, they should remain the same, regardless of the Track they are on, unless there are Track Keyframes playing a role too.

In the Audio Track Header, check to see if we're seeing Clip Keyframes, or Track Keyframes. If the former, then look in Effects Control Panel>Volume to correct this. If Track Keyframes, you can use Audio Mixer.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 12. Re: CS4 Audio Export Problem
                                Harm Millaard Level 7

Possibly the -9.1 dB setting is a bit too much. If you set it at -3 dB or even at 0.0 dB, does that make a difference?

• 13. Re: CS4 Audio Export Problem
                                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Along with this, do change the Audio Track Display Mode to Track Keyframes, and have a close look at those. For the Tracks to affect the output from a Clip, there almost has to be something there.

Looking closely at the displayed Keyframes, they look like Clip Keyframes, as Track Keyframes are usually much more frequent, unless one has adjusted them down to the minimum and then they'll just be straight line at the botteom of the Track.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 14. Re: CS4 Audio Export Problem
                                    Videoman 1 Level 1

Thanks guys ... Hunt, I purposefully dropped the audio in the song because the groom sent a lovely verbal message which he wanted .... along with the song at around half volume in the background. This is not the issue however ...have a look those changes ... they only occur at around 5 minutes into the timeline. That volume for the first couple of minutes is unchanged and at a good level. Besides, like I said before ... why do I get no audio even from 0-2 minutes when that MP3 is lying in audio track 3, but when I move it up to audio track 1 or 2 and render ... all fine ... WHY OH WHY ????

• 15. Re: CS4 Audio Export Problem
                                      the_wine_snob Level 9

The only thing that would account for this is Track Volume. What did the Track Keyframe Display show? What does the Track Volume "rubber band" look like? It's easy to grab that sucka' and drop it down to -oodb, if you're not careful.

Did you Rt-click on the Audio Tracks' Headers and check for Bypass. It should NOT have a checkmark besides it for any of your Audio Tracks.

[Edit] Sorry confusing programs here. Rt-click on the Clip and make sure that Enable IS checked. Sorry about that.

That's about all that I can suggest for now.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 16. Re: CS4 Audio Export Problem
                                        Videoman 1 Level 1

Sorry for the delay in only responding now ... its been hectic. Here is a follow-up on my problem raised within this thread. As mentioned for some or other reason I could not seem to place audio on tracks 3 or 4. Now what I did was create another sequence within my project and copy the whole contents of sequence 1 to there. I did this and my problem was immediately solved. Now I can only put this down to one of two things. Firstly, that Sequence 1 was somehow corrupt (don't know if thats possible) or that there was a problem with the whole project content as it was content from a project edited on Premiere Pro 1.5 and imported into PP CS4. Don't know what it was but sure am glad my problem is now sorted ... thanks !