7 Replies Latest reply on Aug 29, 2009 1:33 AM by Mitja L

Problems with exporting clips from GoPro cam

Mitja L

hi!

I am using PP cs3  and it works fine with DV and HDV. But I am having problems exporting vids from GoPro (spec: http://www.goprocamera.com/index.php?area=2&productid=7). When I render it everything looks fine, but when I export it seems to repeat frames (ex. surfer jumps from surfboard twice)... first few seconds of the exported video works fine, than the repeated frames start to appear and it only gets worse towards the end... so far I got the best results with Quicktime (H.264) but still repeating toward the end...

(gopro from 1.15 to 2.47 @ http://www.vimeo.com/6231114)

I have a laptop, core2duo 2GB, 2gb ddr2 800mhz and nvidia wtih cuda acc., 320gb disk, and everything works fine (maybe a little slow ), even HDV videos from canon A1, I am only having problems with the gopro ... please help...

thanks

Mitja

• 1. Re: Problems with exporting clips from GoPro cam
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Thanks for the link to the GoPro site, and thanks to them for actually giving useful specs (for a pleasent change).

This cam shoots with MJPEG CODEC. I'd try either the Morgan, or the MainConcept MJPEG CODEC, and see if the problems go away.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Problems with exporting clips from GoPro cam
            Mitja L Level 1

First thank you for the answer!

I have tried both, and both provided better results, but still some repeating... and unfortunately I am working on a little project were we just can`t afford that :S

I have mailed my first post to GoPro support and also a request to tell me which codec is it, but I am still waiting for the answer...did the same thing a few months ago about another issue, but they didn`t replyed at all, so my hopes are not very high.

I`m surprised that nobody else has the same problem (or people just don`t care, but I guess that`s not highly likely).

Maybe some other ideas?

Thanks guys

• 3. Re: Problems with exporting clips from GoPro cam
              Mitja L Level 1

I`ve now tried to bypass this problem by converting clips from GoPro to .mov (quicktime) and .avi (divx) and it works... but there is some loss of quality, .mov is not so bad (on smaller res. is hardly noticable)... any advise on lossless conversion?

• 4. Re: Problems with exporting clips from GoPro cam
                the_wine_snob Level 9

The .MOV Animation CODEC is a good one.

Stay as far away from anything DivX, until you go for final deliver, and I mean FINAL. It is not meant to be edited and will cause issues. It is good for delivery, and nothing else.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - I forget, are you on a Mac, or PC. If PC, look at the DV-AVI Type II w/ 48KHz 16-bit PCM/WAV Audio - you cannot do better than that.

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Problems with exporting clips from GoPro cam
                  Mitja L Level 1

Do you think Animation is better than H.264? Or is H.264 just for HD? I am using a PC, i`ll take a look at DV-AVI, thanks for the info.

I got my mail answered and they say "The camera records standard .avi files.  We don't have the exact codecs used to compress the files." I am going to explain the situation to them again and we`ll see...

Thanks again

• 6. Re: Problems with exporting clips from GoPro cam
                    Mitja L Level 1

Received another reply from Gopro support:

"We've heard of compatibility issues in Premiere with the .avi files.  One possible way around this is to first save the .avi file as a .mov file using a program such as imovie or quicktime pro.  Hopefully this clears up the editing issues for you."

I still haven`t gave up, so I`ve tried exporting in .mov with Sorenson codec and Sorenson 3... works perfektly but now the speed od the clip is increased, so the picture is not tuned with sound anymore . Unfortunately the codecs settings can`t be configured via Premiere...

• 7. Re: Problems with exporting clips from GoPro cam
                      Mitja L Level 1

Got another mail:

"To be honest, none of us here use Premier, so we're not exactly sure how to troubleshoot these editing issues.  Your best bet is to seek out some tips on the many forums that are out there, as you have already done."

I`ve searched this forum a bit and found out you gave good instructions for converting with Digital Media Converter, so i`m gone try with this, hoping the quality will be any better...