This morning I uninstalled and reinstalled Java from our development server and removed update files from the add/remove program list. After that my development app went down the hill. I can't even get to CF administrator. The service ColdFusion 8 Application Server doesn't start either. This is driving me nuts. I verified my JVM and it's running properly.
Things to check.
1. Verify that the path in the java.home setting in your jvm.config file is correct. Note that unix style forward slashes should be used as the directory delimiter character even on Windows operating system. See "How to change the JVM for ColdFusion on JRun", linked below, for more information.
2. Review the system requirements for your version of ColdFusion to be sure you are using a supported JVM. Are there any 32-bit vs. 64-bit issues on your server?
3. Did you install the JDK/SDK? ColdFusion requires the development kit version of Java to run. The JRE is not sufficient. See "How to change the JVM for ColdFusion on JRun", linked below, for more information.
4. Does the account that the ColdFusion runs under have sufficient rights to the JVM directory?
5. Is there any information in your logs, CF or operating systems?
"How to change the JVM for ColdFusion on JRun"