7 Replies Latest reply on Aug 25, 2009 2:37 AM by Mylenium

Ram Preview not working correctly

sam_dewitt Level 1

On one machine here, when the artist goes to do a ram preview, they only get grey frames in the comp window. Either that or they get a freeze of the first frame in the render region, but no motion.

I have tried deleting prefs, zapping Pram, deleting the cache, purging memory. turning open GL on and off, all to no avail.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance

Sam DeWitt

• 1. Re: Ram Preview not working correctly
          TimeRemapper Level 4

Hey Sam.

Does this only happen when previewing a region?

Also, what version of AE are you using, and have you run all Adobe updates?

• 2. Re: Ram Preview not working correctly
            sam_dewitt Level 1

Either a region or the whole timeline, does not matter.

Yes this is the latest version of CS4 with all updates.

We have several systems here that are virtually identical to one another ( all set up in the last few weeks) and only one machine is exhibiting this behavior (this is on OSX 10.5.7)

Sam

• 3. Re: Ram Preview not working correctly
              TimeRemapper Level 4

Make sure that caps lock is not enabled (sorry if it's sounds silly, and it's something you've already gone over).

Also, by region, I meant something other than a limited area of time.

In the comp window, you can preview the entire frame, or a region of interest defined by a sort-of-crop feature.

• 4. Re: Ram Preview not working correctly
                Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

What footages do you use? Could be something with a specific CoDec not being handled correctly on the given system. Short of that, you can't completely rule out hardware defects. They may not show up during normal work, but RAM previews being so demanding on - erm - RAM usage, could expose them when the defective memory address is accessed....

Mylenium

• 5. Re: Ram Preview not working correctly
                  sam_dewitt Level 1

no it is not caps lock, and yes, I understand the preview question. Does not matter if he is previewing a segment of the timeline or the whole timeline, same result.

Sam

• 6. Re: Ram Preview not working correctly
                    sam_dewitt Level 1

He is using the same Codec (ProResHQ) as all the other systems, and it previews fine while he is doing the actual grunt work, only messes up when he tries to ram preview. Your idea of the defective RAM is worth considering, though it seems it might manifest in more ways, including just moving from frame to frame in the comp? It could be worth swapping out the RAM with another system if nothing else works.

Thanks

Sam

• 7. Re: Ram Preview not working correctly
                      Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

I'm not sure if RAM issues really show up during normal work. In most cases the operating system will constantly rearrange the memory allocation, so it may never touch upon that one damaged memory block. You wouldn't even know it, if it caused a crash once a week, because it could be anything. I'll admit that it's a far shot, but nonetheless one should not rule out what seems to be impossible at first sight. the only other thing I can think of would be a tool that suppresses screen refresh, which could be some widget ort system extension...

Mylenium