10 Replies Latest reply on Aug 26, 2009 12:10 PM by Kurt Gold

How to make rectangles with angled corners

fritschedesign

So I am new to Illustrator, but my company has asked me to create some graphics for our CAD program folder options. Most of all my icons will be created with basic shapes, but I can't figure out how to make angled corner rectangles as well as combining those shapes to create the master shape when I'm finished.

I have a Lynda.com account, but I can't find anything about angled corner rectangles.....

I need to create a graphic like the attached file

Chris

• 1. Re: How to make rectangles with angled corners
          Isolder Level 2

It looks like the corners in your picture are just rounded off, correct?

You can either do Effect > Stylize > Round Corners on an object, which will round all corners or you can use a custom script.

There is one called Round Any Corner (http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/exchange/index.cfm?event=extensionDetail&loc=en_us&extid=1045 709) that will let you round specific corners rather than every corner, I think.

• 2. Re: How to make rectangles with angled corners
            fritschedesign Level 1

yeah the corners in the example look rounded, but with a finished graphic of 18px X 18px, I've found that wiht a bitmap the graphic works better as angles, then curves... these are small graphics that go into a program to be used as a Content Center icons and it only takes .bmp images

this is only one example, I have several others where the corners are 100 chamfers and not fillets.... the only way I figured out how to make angled corners is to create small squares and subtract them with pathfinder... but there has to be an easier way

I know how to make the rounded corners initially or with the effects tab, but there's nothing about making angles?

• 3. Re: How to make rectangles with angled corners
              [scott] Level 6

Add anchors and create the angles manually.

There is a plug in called Xtreme Path which makes the processes easier. But there is no built in way to automatically angle corners.

• 4. Re: How to make rectangles with angled corners
                Jacob Bugge MVP & Adobe Community Professional

frietsche,

Many shapes may be built up from simple shapes.

The faces of the nutlike F part may be created in the following way:

1) Create a circle and a rectangle width sides that are shorter and longer than the diameter, adjusting their relative sizes and overlaps so the common area corresponds to the shape of one of the side faces (you may use Object>Transform>Scale unidirectionally in the process), then select both  and Pathfinder>Divide, then Ungroup and delete outlying parts, ending up with a shape with two straight and two rounded sides where the height corresponds to the nut height and the width of the face is 1/(4*cos(30)) ~ 0.289 times the width across flats (this is half the actual face width being 1/(2*cos(30)) ~ 0.577 times the width across flats), the total width ratio being 1/cos(30) ~ 1.155;

2) Object>Transform>Move a copy to form the adjacent central face, then scale it to twice the width (this will be the actual face width);

3) Repeat 2), only moving the copy further to form the other side face;

4) Create a rectangle with a height corresponding to the nut height and a width correspond to the combined width of side face and central face, then centre it behind the three faces; this will give the last straight part of the final shape at top and bottom.

First posted Aug 24, 2009 2:30 PM, and edited upon waking to the realization of having fumbled with the ratios of face widths to width across flats.

Sketch below:

Rectangle: 240 x 120

Circle: 200 x 200

Resulting: 200 x 120

Transformed to 200 x 90 side face

Central face 200 x 180

Other side face 200 x 90

Rectangle 200 x 270

• 5. Re: How to make rectangles with angled corners
                  JETalmage Level 6
                  I can't figure out how to make angled corner rectangles ...

...the only way I figured out how to make angled corners is to create small squares and subtract them with pathfinder... but there has to be an easier way

There should be a proper fillet/chamfer command, but there isn't.

However, if you simply want a rectangle with chamfered corners:

1. Rounded Rectangle Tool: Draw a rounded rectangle.

2. White Pointer: ShiftClick one of the anchorPoints to deselect it.

3. Control Panel: Click the Convert To Smooth button. Then click the Convert to Corner button.

4. White Pointer: Click the de-selected anchorPoint to select it. Repeat step 3.

The silly deselect/reselect routine is necesary because of Illustrator's poor implementation of the long-overdue ability to convert multiple anchorPoints at once. The buttons only appear if only a subset of the path's anchorPoints are selected. This is just one ramification of Illustrator's inability to distinguish between a path's being selected as a whole object vs. merely having all its anchorPoints selected. That same fundamental problem manifests itself in aligning multiple anchorPoints at once.

(For a proper treatment of these functions, Adobe needed only to look at its acquired FreeHand. But emulating FreeHand's superior functionality in these regards would require also emulating its superior fundamental selection scheme.)

JET

• 6. Re: How to make rectangles with angled corners
                    Harron K. Appleman Level 4

Draw two rectangles based on the dimensions of your desired chamfered rectangle and the desired degree and direction of chamfer. Make their centers coincident using the Align palette/panel tools.

Using the direct selection tool, delete the two opposing sides on each rectangle that you do not need. You should now have four line segments.

Again with the direct selection tool, marquee-drag to select two corner endpoints and hit Ctrl+J to join. Repeat with the other three corners. Alternately, just select all four line segments and use James Talmage's 'Join Nearest' script.

ChamRect.gif

• 7. Re: How to make rectangles with angled corners
                      JETalmage Level 6

If you choose to do it by Harron's two-rectangle methods, consider this alteration:

1. Draw and center the two rectangles.

2. Click the Add To Shape Area Pathfinder icon.

3. Minus Pen Tool: Click the four inboard corners to remove them.

JET

• 8. Re: How to make rectangles with angled corners
                        D. Fraser-1eqWmH Level 2

To skip steps 2-4, you can use the Object>Path>Simplify command to convert the smooth anchors to corner anchors. Just select the Straight Lines option and keep the Angle Threshold low (0).

D.