8 Replies Latest reply on Aug 26, 2009 9:39 PM by the_wine_snob

OT:  Audio Level Adjustment in Premiere

SFL46 Level 3

In broadcast interview situations, the interviewee often continues to speak but the audio disappears without a fade out or sudden cutoff.  One frame the subject is talking, the next just his lips are moving until the segue back to the interviewer.

What's the secret to doing this sort of edit?  When I do this using volume effects, I either get an obvious fade as the volume goes to zero, or a get a sudden cutoff that's never clean sounding.  Razoring a audio track often comes across too abrupt and obvious.  How is this done?

Thanks

• 1. Re: OT:  Audio Level Adjustment in Premiere
          Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional

>get a sudden cutoff that's never clean sounding

Soundbooth - Edit | Preferences | General | Auto-heal Edit Boundaries

Audition - Edit | Zero Crossings

-Jeff

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: OT:  Audio Level Adjustment in Premiere
            shooternz Level 6

I am surprised that an editor or vision switcher  leaves someone on-camera without audio while they are actually talking ( mouth moving) unless its a mistake!

I wonder if you are actually talking about "J" or "L" Cuts?

• 3. Re: OT:  Audio Level Adjustment in Premiere
              the_wine_snob Level 9

If the Audio is NOT actually cut off, and exists, then L, or J Cuts would be definitely the way to go.

If the Audio does not exist, then either the cameraman, or the sound guy need to be drawn and quartered, or made to do the shoot again for no charge.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: OT:  Audio Level Adjustment in Premiere
                Colin Brougham Level 6

No, this is a pretty common technique, though I don't seem to see it too often at the end of a soundbite. It's used frequently in news magazine types of shows, most often when introducing a person or interview subject to the viewer for the first time. For example:

You're watching a story about competitive potato chip eating. You've just seen a few moments of location b-roll and action footage of potato chip eating competitions, whilst the reporter uses a voiceover to begin telling the story, probably about the rigors of training for such an event. As the reporter begins to talk about the world-ranking potato chip eater, the video cuts to this individual in an interview setting, and it's clear from the video that he's blathering away. However, there is no audio from the interview, just the reporter's VO setting up the soundbite. You might hear something like, "Joe Schmo, world-ranking potato chip eater, trains over sixty hours each week". At that point, the interview audio cuts in quickly, almost as if it's completing the thought in the VO, eg. "Training is hard work. It's almost like a job". And so on and so forth...

You could do the same to exit from a soundbite, but I personally think that means you've selected the wrong soundbite to use. The interviewee isn't completing the thought, hence the need to dip out of the audio quickly. That said, you can achieve this pretty easily with a very short audio dissolve or (my preference) by keyframing the volume rubberband for a particular clip. It's easier to ramp the audio for a slight ease in/ease out effect that can soften the cut. Something in the neighborhood of 3-4 frames should be all you need. If it's still too abrupt, you may have to lay in some room tone/ambient sound in order to bridge the cut. You can then put a slightly longer fade on this clip to more transparently transition out of the interview.

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: OT:  Audio Level Adjustment in Premiere
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

From that discription, then Craig nailed it - J, or L Cuts. These are named thusly, because of the "look" of the Audio vs the Video.

With an L Cut, the Video ends, but the Audio continues beneath new Video. With a J Cut, the Video continues, but the new Audio comes in early.

This is often used in dramatic content to show that something is happening at the same (or almost) time, but in different locations.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: OT:  Audio Level Adjustment in Premiere
                    Jim_Simon Level 8
                    without a fade out or sudden cutoff.

Here's the problem: there just is no other way to do it.  Audio will either fade out, perhaps every very rapidly, but still a fade nonetheless.  Or it will cut out.  There just is no other way.

• 7. Re: OT:  Audio Level Adjustment in Premiere
                      SFL46 Level 3

Colin

Thank you. I'll try this tonight--keyframe 3-4 frames.  I hadn't tried s fade duration that short..

• 8. Re: OT:  Audio Level Adjustment in Premiere
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Good luck, and please let us know how it works out for you.

Hunt