2 Replies Latest reply on Aug 25, 2009 9:22 AM by JohnnyGeee

Is there a way to Uninstall ACR 5.5 and reinstall 5.4? Bridge doesn't recognize this version.

JohnnyGeee

Hey there. Running Mac os x 10.5.8 on a MacBook Pro...

I had to reinstall my whole CS4 Master Creative Suite because a couple of the programs went missing.

First step was uninstalling all the other programs and preferences through Adobe unistaller, then reinstalled and did all the updates. (Photoshop is 11.0.1 now).  All updates finished loading successfully except that it was having trouble with the camera raw 5.4 update. It would say it was installed but when I checked the version in photoshop it would say it is the 5.0.0.178 version. So I updated the camera raw to 5.5 (because I use a Nikon D5000).

5.5 plugin now works fine in Photoshop but in Bridge, the camera raw preferences is "greyed out" and I can't read any NEFs.

Don't know where to go from here. The plugins folder in the root Library shows one plugin in the cs4 folder and that is the 5.5.

When I try to install the 5.4 version again, it reads that it can't install because I am running a newer version.

Thanks for your help. Got some NEF editing to do and this is a major obstacle....

Johnny G

• 1. Re: Is there a way to Uninstall ACR 5.5 and reinstall 5.4? Bridge doesn't recognize this version.
          Jeff Schewe Level 5

JohnnyGeee wrote:

Don't know where to go from here. The plugins folder in the root Library shows one plugin in the cs4 folder and that is the 5.5.

Well, tell us the EXACT path that you installed in in...saying "root Library" is only part of the path.

The other thing you may want to do is to purge the cache for the folders that aren't displaying raw images and/or trash the Bridge preferences while restarting Bridge by holding down the Command/Option/Shift key commands on launch.

The fact that you've uninstalled and reinstalled leads me to the question of why? That's a far more drastic remedy for "a couple of programs went missing". It actually sounds more like your system may be kinda screwed up. Try creating a new admin user and launching from that and see if things settle out. Depending on how you got to 10.5.8, you may have some issues in your user prefs that might only be cleared out via a really good flush.

• 2. Re: Is there a way to Uninstall ACR 5.5 and reinstall 5.4? Bridge doesn't recognize this version.
            JohnnyGeee Level 1

Thanks Jeff. The full path is HD/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Plugins/CS4. It was automatically installed.

Also, the programs went missing because my computer froze and when I rebooted, any programs that were running at the time were no where to be seen, in the apps folder, in spotlight, the trash, etc. It's a mystery to me and I was a IT tech for quite a few years until recent. (Perhaps aliens abducted my programs.) That's the best I could figure out. Even my Entourage went missing and I needed to reinstall this and import an archived folder of mail - lost the most recent email...

I bought this computer new a few months ago and have updated to 10.5.8 by the normal "software update" function.

Purging the folders did not work because Bridge still does not recognize that there is a camera raw plugin installed. The "camera raw preferences" still remains "greyed out" when you click on the Adobe Bridge CS4 tab in Bridge.

Also, when I go to the Adobe uninstaller, I'm not able to uncheck mark the box for the camera raw....

Perhaps there is a link to just the 5.4 plugin (standalone?) that I can exchange for the 5.5? The camera raw folder in Application Support/Adobe has all the latest camera preferences including the D5000 which just was updated in ACR. So maybe just making a switch? Or is that too old school?

Oh yes, created another user account, repaired permissions and any disk issues - yet, same problem.

Thanks again!

Johnny