7 Replies Latest reply on Aug 27, 2009 3:39 AM by Videoman 1

CS4 Audio Tracks

Videoman 1

Hi

Why is it that when I attempt to drag and drop any audio file from my bin straight onto an available empty audio track on my timeline, it doesn't allow me to drop it on there, instead automatically creating a new track below onto which it is placed.

Any ideas would be graetly appreciated.

Thanks and regards

Paul

• 1. Re: CS4 Audio Tracks
          Harm Millaard Level 7

Audio can only be placed in an audio track that matches. Stereo can only be placed in a stereo track, mono only in a mono track. A default project has three stereo tracks and no mono track. If you drag a mono audio file to the timeline, it will automatically add a mono track after the stereo tracks, usually in the 4-th track.

• 2. Re: CS4 Audio Tracks
            Videoman 1 Level 1

Yes but the track I am attempting to drag and drop is a stereo track ... I even right click on it and check its properties ... not only that but I have tested with numerous other tracks which I know for a fact are stereo, and the same thing ... this is strange !

• 3. Re: CS4 Audio Tracks
              Harm Millaard Level 7

Does PR agree on that when you select an audio file in the project panel, does it indicate stereo? Are your existing audio tracks not locked?

• 4. Re: CS4 Audio Tracks
                Videoman 1 Level 1

Yes PR says its stereo and no, none of the tracks are locked.

Weird ???

• 5. Re: CS4 Audio Tracks
                  Harm Millaard Level 7
                  Weird ???

I agree. I have never experienced this behaviour, so I can't offer you a solution. Thought I had it in post #1. Sorry.

• 6. Re: CS4 Audio Tracks
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

There is something odd about this/these file(s). Something is not being reported to PrPro correctly. So long as the actual channel number and audio type matches, PrPro should allow you to drop onto any appropriate track.

Here's how PrPro does this:

Stereo - 2 channel to stereo Track

Mono - 1 channel to mono Track

5.1 - to 5.1 Track

nothing to Master

PrPro will create any that are needed, should they not exist in your Sequence. What is the Track type that PrPro creates for your Audio?

I'd first take the offending file into SoundBooth and check it out closely there. From there, providing that you do not find a problem, I would do a Save_As in PCM/WAV 48KHz 16-bit, and Import that into PrPro. Try with the resulting file. What happens?

BTW, what was the format of the Audio, with which you're having a problem?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: CS4 Audio Tracks
                      Videoman 1 Level 1

This seems to be resolved now after playing around, learning and understanding the various audio sources that PP will and will not let you place on default audio tracks ... thanks !