9 Replies Latest reply on Jul 30, 2008 9:17 AM by Developer504

Install issues on server

Developer504
      Had a question regarding installing a flex App to a new server. We are connecting to a clients server through remote desktop, and we are attempting to install a flex App to run via IIS (they are running IIS 7). Everything is set up correctly as far as I can tell, but the Flex App never loads.

We get a security warning asking if we want to run a shockwave flash object, then it just sort of hangs up, or more accurately, it just sits there, hitting the hard drive periodically. I waited fifteen minutes and nothing ever happened.

To see if it was a performance issue on the server I tried making a dummy .swf file with nothing but the text "this is a flash program" in it, but that hung up too the same way.

I checked to make sure flash was loaded on the server, and it does appear to be loaded. I can go on the internet and run flash movies.

Does this sound familiar to anyone? Like a known issue? I'd appreciate any insight anyone could provide.

M.
        • 1. Re: Install issues on servers
          Level 7

"Developer504" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
          news:g6nshu$ke8$1@forums.macromedia.com...
          > Had a questoin regarding installing a flex App to a new server. We are
          > connecting to a clients server via remote desktop, and we are attempting
          > to
          > install a flex App via IIS. Everything is set up correctly, but the Flex
          > App
          > never loads.
          >
          > We get a security warning asking if we want to run a shockwave flash
          > object,
          > then it just sort of hangs up, or more accurately, it just sits there,
          > hitting
          > the hard drive periodically.
          >
          > To see if it was a performance issue on the server I tried making a test
          > .swf
          > file with nothing but the text "this is a flash program" in it, but that
          > hung
          > up too the same way.
          >
          > I checked to make sure flash was loaded on the server, and it does appear
          > to
          > be loaded.
          >
          > Does this sound familiar to anyone? Like a known issue? I'd appreciate
          > any
          > insight anyone could provide.

I don't think that the server cares whether the Flash player is installed or
          not, unless you're trying to do some sort of headless thing. Normally, you
          want to make sure that the player is installed on the client. Try clicking
          on the ActiveX control to activate it, and look for a yellow bar across the
          top that asks if you want to run the active content. Again, this will only
          install the player on the client, but unless you're doing something _really_
          uncommon, that is what you need to do.

HTH;

Amy

• 2. Install issues on server
            Developer504 Level 1
            This isn't a webserver, we are currently just trying to run locally on the server if you follow me (via the remote desktop connection)

I gather once we verify it is working it will be run from client machines on their LAN.

We have the same app installed on two other servers here.

My URL goes directly to the .swf file (i.e. h ttp://localhost/app.swf)) so there is no activeX control to click on.

We get the security warning asking if we want to run a flash file but we don't get the little yellow bar asking about the active content.

M.
            • 3. Re: Install issues on server
              Developer504 Level 1
              One other question, if you were running via remote desktop, where would the .swf file actually be deployed? On which CPU would the flash program run?

I have run this directly on a test-server via IIS and it works fine, thats the confusing part.

M.
              • 4. Re: Install issues on server
                Level 7

news:g6o0io$oh7$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                > This isn't a webserver, we are currently just trying to run locally on the
                > server if you follow me (via the remote desktop connection)
                >
                > I gather once we verify it is working it will be run from client machines
                > on
                > their LAN.
                >
                > We have the same app installed on two other servers here.
                >
                > I'm running directly to the .swf file ( http://localhost/app.swf) so there
                > is
                > no activeX control to click on.

Try it from within the page. The ActiveX control code contains logic that
                assists in the installation.

• 5. Re: Install issues on server
                  Developer504 Level 1
                  quote:

Try it from within the page. The ActiveX control code contains logic that
                  assists in the installation.

Ok Amy thanks I'll put the HTML and the Flash installer on there.

There has actually been an improvement in the situation. Their IT guy fiddled with it last night, he couldn't tell us precisely what he did but it did include rebooting the server twice. They got our Flex .SWF working in the wwwroot directory of inetpub.

For some reason though it still doesn't work in the subdirectory we want it to run in. We can't have this running in wwwroot because it's sensitive information.

Here is the interesting part. When we try to run it in the subdirectory, we get this large popup window which asks you what you want to do with this shockwave flash object, open, save or cancel. If you click open nothing ever happens.

Wheras when we run it in the wwwroot it brings up the yellow bar on the top which asks if you want to run the active content, and then it works.

Does any of that sound familiar? We have tried every security setting we could think of. What did we miss?

M.
                  • 6. Re: Install issues on server
                    Level 7

news:g6ps03$qon$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                    >
                    quote:

> Try it from within the page. The ActiveX control code contains logic that
                    > assists in the installation.
                    >

>
                    > Ok Amy thanks I'll put the HTML and the Flash installer on there.
                    >
                    > There has actually been an improvement in the situation. Their IT guy
                    > fiddled
                    > with it last night, he couldn't tell us precisely what he did but it did
                    > include rebooting the server twice. They got our Flex .SWF working in the
                    > wwwroot directory of inetpub.
                    >
                    > For some reason though it still doesn't work in the subdirectory we want
                    > it to
                    > run in. We can't have this running in wwwroot because it's sensitive
                    > information.
                    >
                    > Here is the interesting part. When we try to run it in the subdirectory,
                    > we
                    > get this large popup window which asks you what you want to do with this
                    > shockwave flash object, open, save or cancel. If you click open nothing
                    > ever
                    > happens.
                    >
                    > Wheras when we run it in the wwwroot it brings up the yellow bar on the
                    > top
                    > which asks if you want to run the active content, and then it works.
                    >
                    > Does any of that sound familiar? We have tried every security setting we
                    > could think of. What did we miss?

Possibly permissions on the directory, or security settings on the client.
                    You say that you can't have it running from wwwroot because it is sensitive.
                    This suggests that it has some kind of settings that make it more secure.
                    You might want to look at what those settings are.

• 7. Install issues on server
                      Developer504 Level 1
                      You mean wwwroot has more settings which make it secure?

I'm not sure I follow you. We can't have our Flex App running in intetpub\wwwroot because the data it displays is sensitive, there are not settings within our app if thats what you mean (at least not that I know of... I am using some open source components in the code)

M.
                      • 8. Re: Install issues on server
                        Level 7

news:g6pv5c$tq$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                        > You mean wwwroot has more settings which make it secure?
                        >
                        > I'm not sure I follow you. We can't have our Flex App running in
                        > intetpub\wwwroot because the data it displays is sensitive, there are not
                        > settings within our app if thats what you mean (at least not that I know
                        > of...
                        > I am using some open source pieces in the code)

What are the differences between your folder that you believe is going to be
                        more secure than wwwroot and wwwroot, which you believe will be less secure.
                        Surely you've put some different settings in place, otherwise, why would you
                        believe that there would be any different security in that other folder?

• 9. Install issues on server
                          Developer504 Level 1
                          quote:

Originally posted by: Newsgroup User

news:g6pv5c$tq$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                          > You mean wwwroot has more settings which make it secure?
                          >
                          > I'm not sure I follow you. We can't have our Flex App running in
                          > intetpub\wwwroot because the data it displays is sensitive, there are not
                          > settings within our app if thats what you mean (at least not that I know
                          > of...
                          > I am using some open source pieces in the code)

What are the differences between your folder that you believe is going to be
                          more secure than wwwroot and wwwroot, which you believe will be less secure.
                          Surely you've put some different settings in place, otherwise, why would you
                          believe that there would be any different security in that other folder?

Well yeah, obviously. WWWROOT is the default directory for IIS, this is where all the web traffic goes through for all apps which use it etc. Are you familiar with IIS? When I saythat the data isn't secure in the root, it's because this (default) directory has to be accessible to all kinds of employees via a lot of different software.

So yeah it has different settings than the (new) subdirectory we created. Thats what I'm trying to figure out, the question is where or what. I think there might be something in IIS manager, I'm going to check that out. I'll post what I find here one way other other.

M.