5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 25, 2009 12:46 PM by the_wine_snob

Desaturated colors when importing a PSD into Premiere CS4

IndustrialBirds Level 1

Hi,

I like to do color correction in Photoshop and then import the footage into Premiere. My issue is, no matter what I try with changing color profiles and so on, I can't get the preview I see in Photoshop to be the same as how it looks in Premiere. After alot of experimenting I think the issue is that Photoshop uses adobe RGB to make a preview, while premiere uses native Apple RGB (I'm on a mac). If I change the color profile in Photoshop from adobe RGB to Apple RGB I see the same reducement of saturation and an increase of brightness as when I compare the psd how it looks in Premiere and Photoshop. Another reason why I believe photoshop and premiere use a different default RGB setting is that in finder the preview looks the same as how the PSD turns out in Premiere, while it doesn't give an accurate preview of how it looks when I open the psd in photoshop.

It would be really great if there's a solution for this. The way I work now is to to give the saturation a boost and decrease brightness inside photoshop, but it's not a good workflow, since I don't have an accurate preview while I'm trying to finetune colors.

In the attachment two screen captures of exactly the same frame in photoshop and in premiere. The lighter one is from premiere.

• 1. Re: Desaturated colors when importing a PSD into Premiere CS4
          Harm Millaard Level 7

Color correction should be done on a properly calibrated external monitor, not on a computer monitor. In addition, why not use Color Finesse in PR?

• 2. Re: Desaturated colors when importing a PSD into Premiere CS4
            IndustrialBirds Level 1

Hey Harm, thanks for your quick reply. I agree that under ideal circumstances you should use an external monitor, only I don't think the problem will be solved by that. I think if there's a fundamental difference in how premiere handles colors (by using apple's native RGB while PS uses adobe RGB) that difference will still be there on a external monitor. And for my work it's very important I can work quick and mobile, my main delivery is the internet, so I don't even really care if the colors wouldn't fit the PAL (601) or NTSC (or HDTV) limitations.

I just did some further color correction, and I found a workflow in premiere that resembles the picture in photoshop quite accurately, bu the deep reds are really cut off and can't be recovered, no matter what I do. Another disadvantage ir that I have to increase contrast substantially, what makes noise slightly more noticable.

Thanks for your help!

• 3. Re: Desaturated colors when importing a PSD into Premiere CS4
              the_wine_snob Level 9
              my main delivery is the internet, so I don't even really care if the colors wouldn't fit the PAL (601) or NTSC (or HDTV) limitations.

Exactly what will be your Web-based delivery scheme - format, size, etc.?

How accurately do you think that your audience's computer monitors will display this Web-based delivery?

Just curious,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Desaturated colors when importing a PSD into Premiere CS4
                IndustrialBirds Level 1

Hey Hunt, I upload in HD and I hope my viewers will try to watch what I make under best circumstances. I'm aware that my MBP matte screen shows much more detail and color finesse then the average PC monitor (my videos actually look better sometimes on those, because glossy and other screens tend to oversaturate and make compression artifacting less noticable). You can find many of my videos here: www.muziektelevisie.nl . Go to the news section for an overview and to the filmography page for background information

The video I'm working on rigth now (and where this is all about) should be up tomorrow probably!

• 5. Re: Desaturated colors when importing a PSD into Premiere CS4
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Thank you for the info and for the link. Will follow that. Also, it seems that you have taken the viewers' equipment into consideration. I was just worried that you might not have.

Thanks,

Hunt