9 Replies Latest reply on Nov 21, 2009 6:19 PM by Jim_Simon

MXF file

Cadornato

Can you export a movie as a .MXF file in Premiere Pro?  If so where?

Also, can Adobe Bridge view .MXF files?

Thank you,

Chris

• 1. Re: MXF file
          Colin Brougham Level 6

Can you export a movie as a .MXF file in Premiere Pro?  If so where?

In a certain sense, you can, though it may not be what you're after. You can export a sequence to a Panasonic P2 MXF folder structure, for copying back to a P2 card and for playout from a P2-based camera. When you select File > Export > Media, choose "P2 Movie" from the Format dropdown and select the preset that matches your sequence. Bear in mind that this will not create one encapsulated MXF file, but instead will create a CONTENTS folder with the requisite subfolders that are necessary to adhere to the P2 format. Your video will be packaged as (up to) 4GB MXF clips in the VIDEO folder, and the audio will be mono MXF clips in the AUDIO folder, and so on. If that's not what you're looking to do, you might look at exporting to a different format and then exploring the freeMXF libraries for packaging to a single MXF clip. I've only experimented with this, as I have no real application for it, so I can't comment on how well it does or doesn't work.

Not at present. It may be coming in a future version (seems logical), but know one can say for sure about that. What is the nature of your MXF files, ie. Pansonic P2, XDCAM, etc?

• 2. Re: MXF file
            Cadornato Level 1

Thank you for those tips.  It was not really the answer I was looking for, but the one I figure was out there.

I am using a lot of .MXF files do to most of my clients now shoot on Sony EX1

I think Bridge needs to be able to watch .MXF ASAP.  Stupid that is doesn't and Sony Vegas seems to be ahead on the curve in this area.

But thanks for the help.

• 3. Re: MXF file
              Chuck A. McIntyre Level 3

"Can you export a movie as a .MXF file in Premiere Pro?  If so where?

Thank you,

Chris"

As a side note, we use the Panasonic P2 cameras at work. The quality is great but the mxf video format really sucks. The interesting thing is, we can capture 1080i from our AG-HVX-200P directly to our PC hard drive using Adobe OnLocation. On Location creates a honkin "one-piece, all-in-one" 1080i AVI file. No folders, subfolders or any of that Panasonic nonsense. Why in the world Panasonic decided to fragment their files, I have no idea. One of the Apple guys here at my work speculates it may have been some exclusive agreement Panasonic made with Apple because of the way OS10 Final Cut does a log and transfer then creates a *.mov file.

It just occured to me that perhaps you could use Final Cut or Premiere to create *.mov's out of those obnoxious mxf files.

• 4. Re: MXF file
                Colin Brougham Level 6

I am using a lot of .MXF files do to most of my clients now shoot on Sony EX1

I think Bridge needs to be able to watch .MXF ASAP.  Stupid that is doesn't and Sony Vegas seems to be ahead on the curve in this area.

I guess I'm not following all of this. The EX1 (and EX3) don't record video and audio to MXF files--they use MP4 files. Disc-based XDCAM and XDCAM HD cameras do record to MXF containers, however. I'm just curious as to which you're actually using, because PPro handles both of them natively. I know the Sony Clip Browser software can repackage XDCAM EX clips as MXF files, but there's no reason to do this for PPro.

I do agree that Bridge needs MXF viewing capability--it's already present in Premiere Pro, After Effects, and Media Encoder--so I think it's only a matter of time before that happens. Additionally, being able to edit metadata and log tapeless clips in Bridge would be ideal. However, I don't follow your comparison of Bridge to Sony Vegas: they're two totally different programs. If you want to compare PPro to Vegas, that makes sense, but I really don't think there is much comparison between the two when it comes to tapeless-format handling. Naturally, Vegas might handle XDCAM HD or EX clips a little more fluently; one would hope so, given that they're both Sony products. However, I don't believe that Vegas provides native P2 MXF support, whereas PPro does. I guess this is natural as well; who would want to be caught in bed with the enemy?

The ultimate question is what are you trying to do with MXF containers? Are you talking about import only? Or are you trying to export or archive to MXF as well? Understanding that would help anyone offer some other viewpoints.

• 5. Re: MXF file
                  Cadornato Level 1

Yes, you are correct in everything you say.  I am sorry, i was typing quickly and I was just frustrated at the same time.

I have a Wish List and a Goal.

My Wish list is to have Bridge to view .MXF files.  It would make it a lot easier for me in many of my projects.  I don't want to have to open Permier or AE.  Right now I use VLC, but I think it pals in comparison to Bridge.  Plus Bridge has a great workflow with PP and AE.

That is the second thing.

My first question was can PP export .MXF files.  I knew Vegas could and I was wishing PP could.

I have two reason for this.

1.  When I create my effects shots in AE, I would like to take the full HD footage that I added effects shots and export them as .MXF files.  Right now I export them as uncompressed AVI, but the file size is very large.  The second way is to bring the AE into PP, but I don't care what anyone says, that way sucks.  It slows your machine down so much.  I have a very powerful machine, it is not my hardware.  I rather render out the file then use a AE comp in PP.

2.  The second reason is I would like to render out things in .MXF and watch them.  I think it is a great file compression and it looks good and the file size are not to big.

Those are my 2 main reasons

• 6. Re: MXF file
                    shooternz Level 6

If viewing mxf files out side of Premiere is a wish...take a look at P2 Forge.  May help you in more ways than one. eg Ingesting, filing, deleting etc...

BTW.  I do not consider mxf is a "compression" per se. (eg. Panasonic  can produce mxf files in a number of   DVCPro "compressions")

• 7. Re: MXF file
                      Paul R Stark Level 1

chuckAMc,

Could you kindly detail how you were able to record in HD 1080i using OnLocation? I just got the AG-HVX-200P and tried to adjust the camera settings to record in an HD format but it seemed that without a P2 card, the camera did not offer an HD alternative. I am using a 1394 firewire and operating on a windows vista platform, trying to record in HD to an external disk through OnLocation.

Thanks.

• 8. Re: MXF file
                        Jim_Simon Level 8
                        When I create my effects shots in AE, I would like to take the full HD footage that I added effects shots and export them as .MXF files.  Right now I export them as uncompressed AVI, but the file size is very large.

Changing the file format itself won't change the file size much.  Like AVI, MXF is simply a container.  If you stuff both with Uncompressed video, both will be very, very large.  If you stuff both with H,264, they will both be a hell of a lot smaller.

Having said that, you may look into the Lagarith or UT codecs for this kind of DI work.  Both are lossless and visually indistinguishable from Uncompressed, but will create smaller files.  Both also edit quite well inside Premiere.

• 9. Re: MXF file
                          Jim_Simon Level 8
                          I would like to render out things in .MXF and watch them.  I think it is a great file compression

Here again is the same misunderstanding.  MXF is simply a file format, not a video codec.  Like AVI and MOV, an MXF file can contain any number of video codecs.  The codec is what determines file size and quality, not the format.