8 Replies Latest reply on Aug 26, 2009 2:51 PM by Jim_Simon

PC Configurators - Recomendation

tclark513 Level 3

Can someone direct me to a PC Configurator website that would give me the options I need at a decent price?

Thanks!

• 1. Re: PC Configurators - Recomendation
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If you know what you need, Newegg has VERY good prices

• 2. Re: PC Configurators - Recomendation
            Harm Millaard Level 7

First of all, I don't know any site that allows you to configure with all the possible options available. Mostly these are supplier sites with a limited range of equipment. Consider Dell, HP, Newegg and similar, and you are still limited to their range of brands and models they carry.

I do know a couple of sites in the Netherlands where all the available brands and models in the Netherlands are available in a Pricewatch model, much more extensive than  you have with Norton or AnandTech and similar sites. However, the relevancy of these Dutch sites is about nil for you, I would guess.

My personal approach would be to first establish my short lists for the various components, then use a Pricewatch site to find the most attractive suppliers, try to reduce them to 2 or 3, then ask what - given your bulk order - they can do about the price (up to 10% rebate in my experience).

For instance, when I need 16 1 TB disks (around 65 euros each) and 2 ADSL2+ 802.11n modem/routers (around 270 euros each), plus some miscellaneous equipment, I accept the higher price for the miscellaneous equipment if they offer me a 10% rebate on the whole order, even if their price for the modem/routers is 275 apiece. It is a simple matter of calculating how and where to get the best deal(s) and how urgently you need the equipment.

• 3. Re: PC Configurators - Recomendation
              tclark513 Level 3

Thanks for the responses guys but I am looking for a web site that can also put the computer together after I configure it.

Any ideas?

Harm...I will check into some of those other places like Dell...ETC

Thanks!

• 4. Re: PC Configurators - Recomendation

Oh... you don't want to do the build yourself... OK, go to the Videoguys site and find where they talk about turnkey systems

You might also read post #3 at http://forums.adobe.com/thread/480842?tstart=0 where I list what I am going to do when I build an i7 computer

About the only thing I haven't decided is which ATI graphics adapter... since nobody knows if CS5 will use the GPU for anything, and I'm not going to buy the "most" 4890 card if CS5 will work as well with a "about half the price" 4850 card (or, maybe, even a lesser model... but may go with at least the model 4850 and 1Gig of Vram for easier Photoshop editing)

I also mention that IF I ever do HD editing, I would swap the single data drive for a Raid setup

• 5. Re: PC Configurators - Recomendation
                  Harm Millaard Level 7

John,

If you are not in a hurry (and that is what I remember) you better wait till september 22-nd, when ATI will introduce the new HD58xx line, of which the 5870 (Cypress-Pro) is the most interesting. Baked on 40 nm instead of 55 nm (less heat!) with 1 GB GDDR5, with support for DirectX 11, OpenGl 3.1, and support for OpenCL. Price at introduction should be comparable to the nVidia GTX285, rumored to be around $ 300. If not directly an option, it will reduce the price of the 4890 even further.

• 6. Re: PC Configurators - Recomendation

What with one thing or the other, I'm still planning to wait until CS5 is released... AND my slender budget rebuilds to where I can afford the components

So, I'm guessing some time in 2010 (unless... I won't hold my breath waiting... my Megabucks tickets hits the 250M jackpot tonight)

And now, back to the OP and wanting a ready made computer... my 1st one was an Alienware... who were bought by Dell? (or Gateway?) so Google to see if they still build video editing computers

• 7. Re: PC Configurators - Recomendation
                      tclark513 Level 3

Thanks for all your help guys.

• 8. Re: PC Configurators - Recomendation
                        Jim_Simon Level 8

and support for OpenCL.

Now that is interesting.  I do hope it's in time for Adobe to make use of it in CS5.