1 Reply Latest reply on Aug 25, 2009 9:09 AM by Jacob Bugge

Margin/Tiling

JukeSpoko

Sitting here in a Computers in Design class.  Our "professor" has his sample prints for us to match ours to.  His is like it's scaled up a bit larger than what all of ours are.  So since all his students drawings were matching he went through to make his the same.  He says it could be the program difference from CS2 to CS4 but i think he had a problem with his border/margin/tiling.  Im still new so i don't know what to call it.  Its the 2 dotted lines that follow my page.  One dotted line lays on the page edge while the other sits an inch and a quarter inside of that.  His 2 dotted lines were both outside the Page edge.  Would this have any contribution to why his seemed scaled larger.

He keeps saying its "major software issues"  but i think he' smoking something.  Maybe im wrong though since im  new to AI.

• 1. Re: Margin/Tiling
          Jacob Bugge MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Juke Spoko,

Is he able to create rectangular smoke rings? And blow them past the Artboard boundaries?

Software issues may be something in the head of someone.

Here is something from the Helpfiles in good old 10:

Imageable area

The imageable area is bounded by the innermost dotted lines  and represents the portion of the page on which the selected printer can print.  Many printers cannot print to the edge of the paper.

Nonimageable area

The nonimageable area is between the two sets of dotted lines  representing any nonprintable margin of the page.

Edge of the page

The page edge is indicated by the outermost set of dotted  lines.

Artboard

The artboard is bounded by solid lines and represents the  entire region that can contain printable artwork. By default, the artboard is  the same size as the page, but it can be enlarged or reduced. The U.S. default  artboard is 8.5" x 11", but it can be set as large as 227" x 227". You can  choose to show or hide the artboard.

Note: The imageable area and page size are not  limitations when printing to imagesetters that handle large media. Imagesetters  can typically print to the edge of the page. The page size used by an  imagesetter may be larger than the page size specified in Illustrator, enabling  you to print bleeds, for example, that run past the edge of the page.