4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 25, 2009 6:09 PM by anajame

Problem opening files having linked .psd files

anajame

Hi

A client of mine is running windows xp 32 bit on an Intel Core 2 duo processor with 2 Gb RAM and Geforce 8400 PCI Express card. Recently He received  Illustrator CS3 files created on a MAC computer which has lots of linked .psd files. The illustrator files opens sometimes but most of the time it gives an error message " missing linked .psd files"  and it prompts to locate the .psd files. On relocating the .psd files, it opens sometimes but mostly it displays the error message that the linked files are corrupt. and the Illustrator closes by itself. On re booting the PC sometime the file opens but mostly it doesn't.

I can't figure out the problem.

Someone please help

• 1. Re: Problem opening files having linked .psd files
          PrepressPro1 Adobe Community Professional

Sounds like you may have a corrupt file or files. How were the files sent to you? If you recieved a disk perhaps you should have the person suppling the file reburn the disk. Make sure the Mac guy is burning the disk with "You can use this disk on Mac and Windows computers" active.

• 2. Re: Problem opening files having linked .psd files
            Mario Arizmendi Level 3

Have you tried opening the psd files in photoshop? if any or all don't open fine, now you know this is the problem, but if all open fine, you could resave each one and replace the old ones.

You can use a batch action if there are a lot of psd files...

• 3. Re: Problem opening files having linked .psd files
              anajame Level 1

The guy had burned the disk with "You can use this disk on Mac and Windows computers" active apart from that I copied the files to my computer hard disc and tried opening it from there but it still displays the same error messagas. Now the problem is that sometimes the files are opening and can be edited. I even saved the files after editing to my computer, but the error keeps coming even with my saved files too.

• 4. Re: Problem opening files having linked .psd files
                anajame Level 1

Yes the Photoshop files are opening in photoshop I even saved  a fresh copy of it but the error still keeps coming regularly. I even tried opening the files in a different PC but it gives the same error messages. I took the files to the PC it was originally created in and it works perfectly in the guy's MAC computer. I tried several times and it never displayed an error message. Whereas 8 out of ten times the file is not opening in any of my client's PC.

Now if the files are corrupt then how cum they are opening sometimes in my client's PC and is always opening in the MAC it was originally created in.