3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 25, 2009 10:33 AM by Mario Arizmendi

Mixed Ink Swatches in CS4

Jenna Hamilton Level 1

Is there a way to create a mixed ink swatch similar to InDesign CS4 or Photoshop CS4 (using spot channels)? If yes, what are the steps.

thanks!!

• 1. Re: Mixed Ink Swatches in CS4
          PrepressPro1 Adobe Community Professional

Add fills in the apperance panel and overprint the desired fills. I don't think Illustrator has color mixed swatches, yet, or I have yet to see and use them.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Mixed Ink Swatches in CS4
            Printer_Rick Level 4

PrepressPro1 wrote:

Add fills in the apperance panel and overprint the desired fills. I don't think Illustrator has color mixed swatches, yet, or I have yet to see and use them.

This works, here is another variation:

1. Select object

2. In appearance panel add new spot fill on top

3. In transparency panel change the new fill to Darken

Then you don't have to turn on overprint preview. The object itself does not have the blend mode, just the color fill on top.

Disadvantage: the total color of the object is not a single swatch. Illustrator does not have multi-ink like InDesign because it does not support DeviceN (at least not entirely)

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Mixed Ink Swatches in CS4
              Mario Arizmendi Level 3

Illustrator doesnt have an ink mixer like Indesign....so the method showed by PrinterRick is the option I use every day, works fine, I use multiply instead of Darken..

In my example I have one gradient fill from PMS 287 100% to PMS 287 10% multiply  on top of another gradient fill from Cyan 100% to cyan 10% but in the opositte direction..

This feauture was discussed here some time ago

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/457364?tstart=0

Picture 1.png