1 2 Previous Next 43 Replies Latest reply on Aug 31, 2009 7:45 AM by Jim_Simon

Windows 7 64bit issues

mobilenewman Level 1

Hey,

I have been running a 32bit XP workstaion for a while now for audio and video production.  I decided to jump to win 7 recently and give it a go.  My system ran fine with XP as the os.  (intel core 2 Duo E8400 3.00 GHZ 2gb ram ati radeon HD2600 XT)  I was able to edit HD footage shot from my SONY HDV cam with no problems.

I backed up all my projects and decided to go for it.  I added 4 more gigs of ram for a total of 6GB for my win 7 install. (i have updated CS4 and win 7 completely and installed the win 7 64bit drivers for my video card)

I got cs4 installd and premier wont play any of my source videos or sequences.  the audio plays but the video just stutters between the same two frames.  the source files play fine outside of premier (the source files were crappy videos taken on my girlfriends digital camera, crappy I know, but they worked fine on the same system with xp and less ram. I even tried to open an old more complicated 10min long HD project with lots of edits and multiple audio and video files that worked fine before and i get the same stuttering effect.)

Is there a problem with win7 .. shouldnt it work just the same as vista x64?  should i uninstall and reinstall the whole suite? anyone else having the same problems with a similar experiment?  win 7 is really nice id would love to get this working.

Thanks in advance

Tim

• 1. Re: Windows 7 64bit issues
          Harm Millaard Level 7
          I was able to edit HD footage shot from my SONY HDV cam with no problems.

How did you manage that? HD from a HDV camera? What card did you use to ingest HD-SDI from what Sony camera? What raid setup did you use?

Did you do a complete reformat of your disk and a fresh install of Win7 or only - bound to be dubious in reliability - upgrade?

• 2. Re: Windows 7 64bit issues
            Chuck A. McIntyre Level 3

I am running Windows 7 release candidate on my i7 based machine at home with 6GB of RAM. CS3 Production Suite runs fine for me.

Try updating your ATI Video Card Drivers again... It took 2 times for me before they installed correctly. If that doesn't work consider buying an ATI 4830. They can be had for around $70. This is what I'm using and my 64 bit Windows 7 system works great for editing.

Another thing you might want to check is in the upper right hand corner of the Program Monitor. There you will find a drop-down menu. At the bottom is "Playback Settings". If you are not exporting to tape etc. make sure that "External Device" and "Export" is set to None.

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Windows 7 64bit issues
              mobilenewman Level 1

I imported the HDV from the minidv tape in the camera via fire wire. Yes its a clean Win 7 install. you cant upgrade from 32bit win xp to win7 64 bit with out formatting and doing a clean install

• 4. Re: Windows 7 64bit issues
                mobilenewman Level 1

thanks for the advice ... much appreciated

i did however install the latest win 7 64bit drivers from ATI for my card .. ill look into that other card though ... thanks

• 5. Re: Windows 7 64bit issues
                  John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You might read/ask at the Win7 site http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/category/w7itpro/

Also, unless you subscribe to one of the Microsoft tech services, you are still using BETA software... the RTM (Release To Manufacturing) version of Win7 may be downloaded if you are a Microsoft subscriber (or, like me, staff at a University with a technology agreement with MS)

So... do you have the RTM of Win7 or are you still using the beta version?

• 6. Re: Windows 7 64bit issues
                    mobilenewman Level 1

its the RTM version ... i am an IT professional with access

• 7. Re: Windows 7 64bit issues
                      Harm Millaard Level 7
                      its the RTM version ... i am an IT professional with access

From an IT professional, I would have expected more accuracy. Why do you talk about HD when that is not applicable? About the same as I have Win-64 versus Win7-64. That missing letter is important.

• 8. Re: Windows 7 64bit issues
                        mobilenewman Level 1

relax dude ... the other two gentlemen were able to give me good advice and knew exactly what I was talking about .. what's with the attitude

i fix computers and design networks for a living .. editing video is a hobby .. sorry if i offended you by omitting a letter

• 9. Re: Windows 7 64bit issues
                          Douglas R Wagner Level 1

I agree with your note, mobilenewman, that Harm seems to jump at times for a chance to write a cheeky comment when even the slightest mistake is present in what someone writes.

When I read that you edited HD from an HDV camera, it was so absolutely, completely, and utterly 100% obvious that you are editing HDV, that the mentioning, er, slapping of Harm by saying "oh dude, how can you be doing HD editing?" is a completely unnecessary response.  Yes, us geek-engineers do know that exactly speaking, HD does not mean HDV, but in context, we all know you were talking about HDV material.

I've only observed this style of writing from Harm in the Adobe forums.  I see this style in a number of his posts, though not most.  But when it is there, it's a kind of "I'm above you sarcasm", and I don't appreciate seeing it when I do.

His goal is to get people to be technically thorough in their posts so that answers can be efficiently provided.  I understand and agree with that principle.  I just find his method is often not kept at a polite and professional manner.

So my writing here may be too strong, but I will accept all criticism back for saying what I simply observe.  These forums are to help all kinds of folks, at various points on the learning curve.  Let's encourage them, not push them away!

• 10. Re: Windows 7 64bit issues
                            Harm Millaard Level 7
                            When I read that you edited HD from an HDV camera, it was so absolutely, completely, and utterly 100% obvious that you are editing HDV, that the mentioning, er, slapping of Harm by saying "oh dude, how can you be doing HD editing?" is a completely unnecessary response.

Have you heard about the Canon H1 or G1 with HD-SDI? Both are HDV cameras that allow HD ingest? There are more cameras like that including Sony, so your assumption that it is so absolutely, completely, and utterly 100% obvious is not true. It was necessary, due to lacking details. It was a valid question, because the dude never supplied that information.

• 11. Re: Windows 7 64bit issues
                              D&R Films Level 1

Let's clarify a few things.

HDV is HD video. The OP was right. NO, it's not Uncompressed HD from an SDI port, but it is indeed HD.

Don't trust Wiki? Okay... Since this is an Adobe forum:

"Defining HD. High definition simply means :more than standard definition."

Adobe whitepaper on HD

So.... Clear now?

• 12. Re: Windows 7 64bit issues
                                Harm Millaard Level 7

There is a distinction between resolution (HD or SD) and format (HDV, DV, HDCAM, XDCAM, DVCProHD, AVCHD, AVCi, HDCAM-SR and HD).

In format terms HD is reserved for uncompressed high definition.

• 13. Re: Windows 7 64bit issues
                                  Jim_Simon Level 8

Actually, it's not.  "Uncompressed" is used when one is talking about Uncompressed footage.  HD can and does refer to any flavor of High Definition video.

• 14. Re: Windows 7 64bit issues
                                    D&R Films Level 1

Harm Millaard wrote:

There is a distinction between resolution (HD or SD) and format (HDV, DV, HDCAM, XDCAM, DVCProHD, AVCHD, AVCi, HDCAM-SR and HD).

In format terms HD is reserved for uncompressed high definition.

So, by your standard DV is not SD? Only Uncompressed SD is SD?

Re-read the whitepaper.

=)

• 15. Re: Windows 7 64bit issues
                                      Harm Millaard Level 7

You don't understand the difference between resolution and format:

Standard definition is about resolution, as is high definition.

DV is about format, as is HDV and all the other formats. It just happens that DV is SD. That does not mean that SD (resolution) is DV (format), just as a cow is an animal, but not every animal is a cow.

Get the picture?

• 16. Re: Windows 7 64bit issues
                                        mobilenewman Level 1

harm, the tone of your posts reek of a$$h0le...

I didnt want to start a pissing match here i just wanted to know if anyone had experienced the issues im having when upgrading to win 7.

cs3 and then cs4 have been running fine for two years now

i install win 7 on the same hardware and i have issues .. any ideas?

• 17. Re: Windows 7 64bit issues
                                          Harm Millaard Level 7

See the second question in post #1.

• 18. Re: Windows 7 64bit issues
                                            mobilenewman Level 1

yes it is clean install of win 7 RTM fully updated along with a fully updated cs4 suite .. nothing else installed on the machine

• 19. Re: Windows 7 64bit issues
                                              Harm Millaard Level 7

Full clean installs of Win7 and CS4 have gone without problems for all I know. Bill Gehrke just informed me on his experience and initial benchmark results in comparison to Vista 64. One thing you can do to establish where a problem might be is to create a new project, capture some material and see if that works. In that case the port from your old system may be the cause.

• 20. Re: Windows 7 64bit issues
                                                mobilenewman Level 1

thank you ... i am trying that now

• 21. Re: Windows 7 64bit issues
                                                  D&R Films Level 1

If someone says they captured HD with their HDV camera then they obviously captured HDV at HD resolution. Unless they said "I captured Uncompressed HD through my SDI out of my HDV camera."

Would you question someone if they asked: "I just captured SD from my Panasonic SDX900 DV camera and xxxxx happened?"

Would you ask if they used the component out to capture uncompressed, or would you just assume they captured DV?

• 22. Re: Windows 7 64bit issues
                                                    D&R Films Level 1

I had some issues with CS4 under Windows 7 64 bit. Had to go back to Vista to resolve them. I forget exactly what the issues were. Mostly with Premiere and Encore. I didn't feel like fooling with it so I can't remember what the issues were. I did a search and found others with the same issues on the windows 7 forums.

• 23. Re: Windows 7 64bit issues
                                                      Harm Millaard Level 7

You are forgetting that a number of HDV cameras can output in uncompressed HD 4:2:2 format, in HDV format and in DV format. The fact you are using a HDV camera does not tell anything about the output format used, over HD-SDI (10 bit), over firewire in HD resolution, HDV (8 bit) or in DV (downrezzed to SD resolution). Don't you agree that if that info is left out, the question is valid?

• 24. Re: Windows 7 64bit issues
                                                        mobilenewman Level 1

i just imported some new footage and its working ok .. i have no idea why it doesnt want to play nice with my old project files .. even ones that i was working on less than a week ago on the xp side ... ill keep messing with it .. if it keeps on working ill just start everything from scratch its not like im producing tv or something just stupid videos of my band and fishing trips .. i just cant bare to use the regular consumer crap that is out there even for my little crappy videos .. thanks for the helpful resonses everyone ... ill post here with updates if i find out anything important with win 7 and cs4 since i know people will be moving this direction soon ... i always have to be an early adopter .. i love the abuse  .. win 7 is really a joy to use

• 25. Re: Windows 7 64bit issues
                                                          D&R Films Level 1

I'm not forgetting. But, I am also not assuming that because he said he captured HD from his HDV camera that he was talking about Uncompressed which is what you did in the first reply.

From his first post the most likely thing to assume was that he captured HDV mpeg2 over firewire because he said he was editting the HD footage from his HDV camera.

• 26. Re: Windows 7 64bit issues
                                                            Harm Millaard Level 7

Assumptions are the most likely cause of wasted bandwidth, because the accuracy rate of assumpions appears to be less than 10% on this board.

• 27. Re: Windows 7 64bit issues
                                                              D&R Films Level 1

Then why did you assume he was talking about uncompressed when he said "HD"?

Stop wasting bandwidth! hehe j/k w ya.

• 28. Re: Windows 7 64bit issues
                                                                Harm Millaard Level 7

Ever seen these symbols?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

What do you think they mean?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Questions maybe???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

• 29. Re: Windows 7 64bit issues
                                                                  D&R Films Level 1

Harm Millaard wrote:

Ever seen these symbols?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

What do you think they mean?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Questions maybe???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Okay.. Let's recap:

"How did you manage that?"

Manage what?

"HD from a HDV camera?"

Huh? HDV cameras shoot HD video!

"What card did you use to ingest HD-SDI from what sony camera?"

There's the ASSUMPTION that he ingested through an SDI port. HD in his cameras HDV codec can be ingested with a simple OHCI firewire card. Why did you ASSUME that he had to use HD-SDI?

• 30. Re: Windows 7 64bit issues
                                                                    Harm Millaard Level 7

Simple, he did NOT say HDV, which would have been clear, instead he said HD format, and since a HDV camera can only ingest HD over HD-SDI I asked, because I did not ASSUME he did that. I asked. Capisce?

• 31. Re: Windows 7 64bit issues
                                                                      Jim_Simon Level 8

HDV camera can only ingest HD over HD-SDI

HDV cameras can both export and ingest HD via Firwire in the HDV format.

HD isn't a single format, and does not mean Uncompressed.  "Uncompressed" means Uncompressed.  "HD" means any 1280 x 720 or 1920 x 1080 resolution video file without regard to the compression, bit depth or chroma subsampling used.  HDV, AVCHD, DVCPRO HD, XDCAM EX, are all validly considered "HD" formats.

When someone says they captured HD video from their HDV camera, it's a more than fair assumption that they captured from tape in HDV format, especially in these forums where the majority of questions do not come from broadcast professionals, the most likely group to be using HD-SDI connections.  If a reader wants to make sure, there's no harm (no pun intended) in asking for verification.  But it's incorrect to try and 'correct' the poster for saying it the way they did.  HDV is one format of HD video.

• 32. Re: Windows 7 64bit issues
                                                                        D&R Films Level 1

Hey Harm... Do Blu-Ray players play HD video? On a Blu-Ray disc are there uncompressed HD files or are there AVCHD or Mpeeg2 files?

I guess all of us watching our HD TV's from cable and satellite aren't really watching HD... We're watching mpeg2 which is also the spec for HDV.. Oh heck... sounds like HDV is really HD isn't it?

• 33. Re: Windows 7 64bit issues
                                                                          aljdvd Level 1

Bringing nothing to the table except to say ,I love this thread.

• 34. Re: Windows 7 64bit issues
                                                                            Douglas R Wagner Level 1

Hi aljdvd,

Yes, this is a pretty fun thread.  I've decided that I agree with the folks posting with the opinion that HD is a broad umbrella terminology for High Definition, and doesn't necessarily imply a specific format, such as HDV, or whatever.

Separately, I am aware of HD-SDI and some of the HDV cameras that can output that.

Mr. Harm's assertion that he "needed to ask" if it was uncompressed HD still seems highly uneeded to be brought up as an immediate, urgent-sounding question.  And it could have been asked politely as, "is there any possibility you are working in a high-demand situation due to using HD-SDI?".

But no, it was a strongly curt style in his post - and I can tell by how he's responded that he isn't phased in the slightest with his stone-hard approach for communicating with people.  So nonetheless, since he did bring up HD-SDI, I will nudge down to 98% from 100%.  Considering that HD-SDI runs at 1.485 Gbit/s, and eats up a full Terabyte of disc space for around just 16 minutes of video, it's rare that you see a post by someone working with HD-SDI.  And if they do use HD-SDI, and have that much money, there's a good chance they wouldn't be needing to post here, and risking getting in "Harm's" way.

• 35. Re: Windows 7 64bit issues
                                                                              Harm Millaard Level 7

Uncompressed HD
                                                                              Uncompressed HD is just what it sounds like.  Pure digital HD footage without any compression added. No compression means it's the best possible video quality.  This is very important if you do a ton of compositing using multiple layers of video. It is also important if you are collaborating on a project  that will require multiple generations of rendering.

We do not recommend using uncompressed video unless it is necessary. You are much better off using one of the easily edited formats described above. If you have to use uncompressed video, we hope you are keeping the clips short as well as the final project. Uncompressed video files are huge, and it requires special hardware to import and export it into your computer. Uncompressed HD footage at the highest resolution requires 558 GB per hour of footage. The throughput is so high you need specialized RAID storage and controllers in order to handle more then a single stream of it.

hd.jpg

Source: http://www.videoguys.com/Guide/E/Videoguys+Guide+to+Understanding+HD+Formats/0x9608c8f9fbe d92db9b3fc59187c9ce8d.aspx

• 36. Re: Windows 7 64bit issues
                                                                                joshtownsend Level 2

Oh I almost these forums. Too bad the 4.1 update fixed everything for me. Great read though. See you guys when cs5 comes out.

• 37. Re: Windows 7 64bit issues
                                                                                  Jim_Simon Level 8

You'll notice how VideoGuys refer to all the various recording formats as "HD", and do specify "Uncompressed" when they mean Uncompressed.

• 38. Re: Windows 7 64bit issues
                                                                                    Chuck A. McIntyre Level 3

Could you believe the requirements of uncompressed HD? Nearly a TB per hour of video editing hell.

• 39. Re: Windows 7 64bit issues
                                                                                      Jim_Simon Level 8

The quote says half that - 558 GB/hr.

1 2 Previous Next