6 Replies Latest reply on Nov 13, 2009 6:46 PM by acath

Replicating and editing custom components

kahilburn

I have created a custom component that I want to reuse multiple times in my designs. I've exported it as a library component and imported into my new project. Once I have added a few instances of this component to my design, I would like to change some of the attributes of a specific instance of this component without changing those attributes for every instance of this component.

Is there a way to accomplish this?

• 1. Re: Replicating and editing custom components
          acath Level 4

Hi,

Unfortunately, there's no way to expose "knobs", "styles", or "customizations" on your custom components. This is a really interesting topic, and if you have any suggestions for how it would work, I'd love to hear them.

-Adam

• 2. Re: Replicating and editing custom components
            kahilburn Level 1

Adam,

I totally understand the benefits of having all the instances of a 

particular component linked to a consistent design - for instance, if 

you wanted to apply a different style across the board, it would make 

it mighty easy. However, for those cases in which the user might want 

to modify specific instances of a copied component, here are two 

suggestions for approaches:

• Unlink whole instances of components - Allow the user to unlink 

specific instances of components from the standard. Once it is 

unlinked, all attributes of the unlinked component could be changeable 

without affecting the other still-linked components. This could be 

handled either during the copy process, or as a separate action after 

the fact.

• Unlink individual attributes - Allow the user to unlink specific 

attributes of an individual component. This seems technically more 

complex, but would allow the user to create a "template" component and 

then tweak individual instances of that component without having to 

create completely separate copies. Then if the template changed, the 

still-linked attributes would also be updated. Basically, this would 

be like overriding attributes for components.

I'm sure there are many complexities I haven't yet thought of, but 

hope this helps.

• 3. Re: Replicating and editing custom components
              acath Level 4

Ok, thanks. I've added this to our list of possible future features.

I believe you can work around this by exporting and re-importing the component in the Library panel, thus yielding a duplicate component...

-Adam

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Replicating and editing custom components
                kahilburn Level 1

Thanks Adam. I was aware of this, but hoped there was a way to create "non-linked duplicates" without having to export and re-import for every instance.

Thanks for clarifying!

• 5. Re: Replicating and editing custom components
                  avanloov

This thread is much more applicable to what I described in http://forums.adobe.com/message/2390554.  Is there any word on the control/configuration of instance-specific property values for custom components?

• 6. Re: Replicating and editing custom components
                    acath Level 4

Hi Avan,

The current version of Catalyst doesn't expose any way to do this. However, we are open to ideas for future versions. Check out the ideas site: http://ideas.adobe.com/labs

Of course, there are many ways to make custom components customizable by writing some code in Flash Builder. If you want more guidance on that, let me know.

-Adam