10 Replies Latest reply on Sep 7, 2009 5:23 PM by the_wine_snob

Media Encoder CS4 won't update - Mac

tobyheslop

I have CS4 and Adobe media encoder 4.1.0 will not update,

I have downloaded it via software update and then it installs and after a check of software update it asks me to update exactly what I just updated.

Does anyone know how I can sort this issue out?

• 1. Re: Media Encoder CS4 won't update - Mac
          ScuseMe

I have the same problem. I check for updates in the Media Encoder app and it flags an update to 4.1.0 (I have 4.0.1.078 now). The installer downloads the update then installs it. However, when I run the Media Encoder app, it still shows 4.0.1.078.

The other strange thing is that I have another Media Encoder CS4 app in applications that "Get info" shows the version to be 4.1.0, but when I run it, it immediately crashes. Also, the icon for this other app is different in design than all the other CS4 suite icons. The crash error is:

Dyld Error Message:

Library not loaded: @executable_path/../Frameworks/LogSession.framework/Versions/A/LogSession

Referenced from: /Applications/Adobe Media Encoder CS4/Adobe Media Encoder CS4.app/Contents/MacOS/Adobe Media Encoder CS4

Reason: image not found

I attached the full crash report to this post.
          Any ideas?
          Thanks....Mike
          • 2. Re: Media Encoder CS4 won't update - Mac
            Jagannathan L Level 1

Hi ScuseMe,

It is wrong for two "Adobe Media Encoder CS4" directories to be present. Adobe Media Encoder should always install in /Applications even if a custom directory was specified in the installer.  This is the designed behavior. However, it looks like AME got installed in a different location and updates got downloaded to another location. Could you post the locations of the two "Adobe Media Encoder" directories and the procedure that was followed when originally installing AME? That would help us isolate the problem and fix it. Unfortunately, the solution to your problem would be to uninstall and install it again in the standard location.

Regards,

Jagan

• 3. Re: Media Encoder CS4 won't update - Mac
              ScuseMe Level 1

Hi Jagan,

Thanks for the response.

After installing the CS4 Design Suite Premium, I moved all the apps/folders to a newly-created "Adobe" folder inside my applications folder. I always ran the Updater to check and download the updates. I didn't pay attention to the success of the updates, since they always ended with a dialog box that said "Finished". It's only when I noticed that it was downloading the Media Encoder update over and over again, that I got suspicious. When I looked in my Applications folder, The "Apple" folder I created was still there, but there was also a new "Media Encoder CS4" folder, which was not there before.

I deleted this new "Media Encoder CS4" folder and ran Updater again. Updater then downloaded the new version and installed it. Unfortunately, the Media Encoder CS4 in my "Apple" folder was not updated to the new version, but that duplicate Media Encoder CS4 folder was back

I browsed through the other messages here about update problems, and I decided to re-install the Media Encoder CS4. I trashed the duplicate folder and put in the DVD. In order to re-install the Media Encoder, I had to also re-install Flash CS4. I did so, then ran the Updater again (I did not change the location of any of the re-installed programs prior to the update). Lo and behold, Media Encoder was updated correctly! I continued the remaining updates to get my software back to the current versions. I thought I was home-free, but unfortunately I wasn't

Although Media Encoder was updated correctly, now Drive Manager and Acrobat Reader are not getting updated. The update installer says that the updates completed successfully, but when I run the Updater again, it identifies those same 2 programs as needing updates.

I downloaded the updates manually, but installing them did not update the programs.

If you have any other ideas, I would greatly appreciate it!

Mike

• 4. Re: Media Encoder CS4 won't update - Mac
                Jagannathan L Level 1

Unfortunately, I don't have information on getting the other products updated. The adobe forums for the products might be a good place to post this question. However, I am interested in how AME got installed in a non-standard location. Could you post here what installer were you using? From your last post, it looks like the Flash CS4 installer was used to install Adobe Media Encoder. Is specifying a custom install location through this installer sufficient to reproduce this problem? It would be great if you provide your old installation details as that would help us fix the problem. Thanks.

Regards,

Jagan

• 5. Re: Media Encoder CS4 won't update - Mac
                  ScuseMe Level 1

Hi Jagan,

I originally just had Photoshop CS4 installed on my Mac. I later decided to purchase the CS4 Design Suite Premium, which I downloaded from the web. I installed the Design Suite without changing the installation path. Once everything was installed, I created an "Adobe" folder in Applications and moved all the programs/folders for the Design Suite there. From that location, I've done all the updates using Updater. It's only AME that created a new folder under Applications when the update was complete. All the other updates would update the correct programs under "Adobe".

When I re-installed AME, I had to choose Flash CS4 (and all of its other parts) to get the check box next to AME. In the re-installation, I also did not specify a new installation path.

Mike

ps - I will specify a custom install path when I re-install the other failed updated programs.

• 6. Re: Media Encoder CS4 won't update - Mac
                    the_wine_snob Level 9
                    Once everything was installed, I created an "Adobe" folder in Applications and moved all the programs/folders for the Design Suite there. From that location, I've done all the updates using Updater. It's only AME that created a new folder under Applications when the update was complete. All the other updates would update the correct programs under "Adobe".

Not sure how well a Mac handles this sort of thing (it appears that for some of the apps - pretty well), but on a PC, one can get all sorts of errors, and some similar problems.

Hope that the Mac-folk can help you sort this one out.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: Media Encoder CS4 won't update - Mac
                      Jagannathan L Level 1

Moving Adobe Media Encoder explicitly to a location different from the standard install location is not supported. Please do not explicitly move AME as that would cause updates to fail.

Regards,

Jagan

• 8. Re: Media Encoder CS4 won't update - Mac
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Jagen,

Thanks for that. Being a PC-guy, I'm never sure how a Mac might handle things, but on one of my machines, I would not try this, even if I had a long weekend and really wanted to completely rewrite my Registry. Sounds like the Mac does not like things moved from where it installed them either.

Appreciated,

Hunt

To the OP, you might want to think about an uninstall, Adobe Clean Script, reinstall to the folder structure of choice and then an update. Good luck.

• 9. Re: Media Encoder CS4 won't update - Mac
                          ScuseMe Level 1

Hunt,

For most Mac programs (apps), you can move them at will to any location you want. The app is actually a container with all the files needed for the program to work. There is no need for pieces of the program to be installed under Programs, then more under System, then writing a whole host of Registry entries tying these pieces to a particular location. I've taken all the Final Cut Studio apps (written by Apple) and just dragged them to my external Firewire drive. When I run the programs for the first time after that, the programs are smart enough to know their location's changed, and reconnect themselves to the new location.

I was assuming that the CS4 Design Suite would operate under this same model, but evidently it does not.

Mike

• 10. Re: Media Encoder CS4 won't update - Mac
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

Mike,

Thanks for that clarification.

Good luck,

Hunt