22 Replies Latest reply on Sep 13, 2009 10:09 AM by Harm Millaard

SuperMicro MB's vs Gaming MB's.

nados Level 1

Hi all,

I was just wondering why most of you choose consumer level gaming mother boards that cost as much or more than  server/workstation level boards like the ones from SuperMicro without all the glitz, glamor, fins and lights.

Although i'm sure these gaming boards are great, i think some of your cash is paying for glitz, I have used SuperMicro for years with great success. Their boards are all business all the time and as far as i can tell, their specs are great.

I'm planning my next Premiere CSx edit station and the only three things I'm still ponding over are the motherboard, memory and graphics card.

Motherboard: SuperMicro X8STE

Memory: DDR3 (9gb)

Graphics card:?

I have already made up my mind on the following other components:

Processor: i7 920

PS: PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750 Quad Black

Case: Antec 300 (w/ three additional 120mm fans)

System drive: 1 - Seagate Barracuda 500mb 7200rpm sata drive

Storage drive: 1 - Seagate Barracuda 1tb 7200rpm sata drive

video array: 2 - Seagate Barracuda 1tb 7200rpm sata drives

DVD drive: Samsung 22x DVD±RW Burner sata

B\lu-Ray Drive: Pioneer DBR-203 sata

Flash card reader: any internal reader

What do you all think?

• 1. Re: SuperMicro MB's vs Gaming MB's.
          Harm Millaard Level 7

SuperMicro is a top brand. The X8STE looks like a decent motherboard, but it has on-board graphics (which you pay for) that must be disabled in Bios. A second thing with the i7, which is easy to overclock, is that the Bios on this mobo may be limited in OC capabilities, like almost all SM workstation boards are.

Why 9 GB and not 12 GB? For the money I would not risk decreased performance or instability from using 2 different banks of memory. I would certainly use identical memory in both banks, so either 6 or 12 GB.

Video card of my choice would be an ATI HD4890, or one of that range 48xx. Be aware that the new HD58xx line will be introduced on september 22-nd.

Antec 300, with all the glitz, glamor, and lights is only a midtower. If that is enough, OK, but future expansion capabilities are limited.

If you haven't read it, look here for some suggestions: How to get the best from a PC? Some guides...

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: SuperMicro MB's vs Gaming MB's.
            nados Level 1

Hello Harm,

The X8STE looks like a decent motherboard, but it has on-board graphics

Yea.... normally i do not get boards with graphics built in but i could not find an SM board for the i7 without it. Did I miss one?

Although i would not deliberately set out to buy a mb with built-in graphics,  it's not a bad idea to have on-board graphics as a backup in case your card goes on the blink and you need to finish a job and don't have time to swap out the cards at that time. Also, i have to admit that it only has 2 USB ports on the back - I would prefer 6.

X8SAX_spec.jpg

this mobo may be limited in OC capabilities

I'm not too interested in overclocking.

Why 9 GB and not 12 GB?

Because i'm stupid and i assumed that all that was needed was multiples of 3.

Antec 300, with all the glitz, glamor, and lights is only a midtower.

The Antec, although marketed as a gaming case, is mostly just a nice plain - well designed - not complicated - case that is easy to work on. Although it's not the biggest case, 18"Hx18.3"Dx8.1"W, it will handle a standard ATX mb. Also, all of the drive and case fasteners are thumb screws and it accomidates up to 4 - 120mm fans and 1 - 140mm fan. The front panel easly comes off for ease removal of drives. Also, i like the PS being at the bottom of the case.

300_front_top_q.jpg300_side_open.jpg

Video card of my choice would be an ATI HD4890, or one of that range 48xx.

Yea... looks good.

If you haven't read it, look here for some suggestions

I have, great info.

• 3. Re: SuperMicro MB's vs Gaming MB's.
              Harm Millaard Level 7

Looking at the pictures of the Antec case, it looks nice, but the one thing that appears to be missing from the front is a firewire connection. That may not have any impact for you, but personally I like having one firewire connector on the front or top in my case, just when someone drops in with his camera and wants to capture something. Then it is an advantage to have an extra connector in front.

• 4. Re: SuperMicro MB's vs Gaming MB's.
                nados Level 1
                one thing that appears to be missing from the front is a firewire connection.

Not a problem for me. I already have an Adaptec Firewire/USB combo PCI card i'll be transfering from the old machine to the new one. Although having at least one fiewwire port  on the front would be nice. Maybe one of though's flash card internal panels might have one.

BTW, the SM X8SAX mb looks like it coud fit the bill as well with 12 USB ports, 8 on the back and 2 firewire ports on the mb.

• 5. Re: SuperMicro MB's vs Gaming MB's.
                  Jim_Simon Level 8

I was just wondering why most of you choose consumer level gaming mother boards that cost as much or more than  server/workstation level boards like the ones from SuperMicro without all the glitz, glamor, fins and lights.

In my very brief glance at server motherboards, you actually pay more and get less than a mainstream board.

Your choice, for instance, costs $269 at Newegg.com, a very reputable and inexpensive dealer.  It comes with unwanted graphics, but without the desired sound or Firewire, and only 2 USB ports.

The Asus P6T SE that I bought comes with the sound and Firewire built in, support for a total of 12 USB ports and an eSATA port for $209.

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: SuperMicro MB's vs Gaming MB's.
                    nados Level 1

Point well taken, however, you can buy open box boards at substantial savings.

The SM X8SAX board is the closest match to the P6T WS Professional, but i have to admit the the Asus board has some more useful onboard devices.

I wish i could get just the features i want in stead of gaining this and loosing that and i don't think CS4 or CS5 will benefit from dual graphic card SLI motherboards.

Also, its not very incouraging when the newegg reviews point out a lot of problems with both SM and ASUS boards. I'm sure I'd find the same type of reviews for other boards as well.

• 7. Re: SuperMicro MB's vs Gaming MB's.
                      Harm Millaard Level 7

The problem with reviews from users, is that it is often very difficult to ascertain whether they knew what they were doing or were complete nitwits. Keep that in mind when reading those reviews.

Newegg does not currently have the WS Pro in their assortment apparently, at least I could not find it. But this may be another source: http://www.motherboardpro.com/Asus-P6T-WS-Professional-Intel-X58-Chipset-Intel-Socket-1366 -DDR3-ATX-Asus-Motherboard-Retail-p-1045.html

It is slightly more expensive than the SM board, but also offers the SAS connections, as well as the older PCI/PCI-X slots, so you do not need to throw away those older cards you have.

• 8. Re: SuperMicro MB's vs Gaming MB's.
                        Jim_Simon Level 8

Wouldn't that apply to both types of boards, thus negating it as an advantage for any one?

• 9. Re: SuperMicro MB's vs Gaming MB's.
                          nados Level 1

Norm,

Actually Newegg does have it: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131357&Tpk=P6T%20WS%20Professiona l and yes, i do take the reviews with a grain of salt and read other site reviews as well.

Its too bad that SM does not currently have more of a workstation board on their Core i7 line of boards with the backend features that the asus and other gaming/workstation boards have like esata and firewire ports on the mb back.

BTW, I find that this thread is better suited for helpful answers, for the most part, than correct answers and now the helpful answers button has disappeared! What gives?

• 10. Re: SuperMicro MB's vs Gaming MB's.
                            nados Level 1

Jim,

JSS1138 wrote:

Wouldn't that apply to both types of boards, thus negating it as an advantage for any one?

yup - you got me on that one - never mind!

• 11. Re: SuperMicro MB's vs Gaming MB's.
                              nados Level 1

In any case, both Harm and Jim provided important parts to a more total correct answer.

Harm's post about paying for and turning off the on-board graphics, the overclocking issue and his reference to the guide and Jim's post about paying more than for mainstream boards, the extra external ports like esata, firewire and USB.

I wish I could give you both a correct answer star, but in this case I'll give Harm another Helpful answer Star and the correct answer star to Jim.

Thank you both for being so helpful.

• 12. Re: SuperMicro MB's vs Gaming MB's.
                                nados Level 1

Opps,

Now i can't reset Jim's #5 reply to the correct answer, what do i do?

I guess a thank you will have to do and sorry for goofing the point system  up.

• 13. Re: SuperMicro MB's vs Gaming MB's.
                                  Biker2

I am building another Supermicro system using the C2SBX+, Intel E8400, Sapphire 4670, G Skill DDR3 1333. think the gaming boards are just a nice shoe shine that will not last

• 14. Re: SuperMicro MB's vs Gaming MB's.
                                    Harm Millaard Level 7

Why use outdated technology in this day? LGA775 boards are a thing of the past. E8400 is from the past, and unless you are sure that you will NOT EVER edit AVCHD or similar, a complete waste of money. If you are building now, use at least a P55 or X58 board and an i5 or i7 processor.

PS. Attaching PPT files are only usable for people with Powerpoint installed. I for one do not have that on this system, so it requires me to use another system to see your attachment.

• 15. Re: SuperMicro MB's vs Gaming MB's.
                                      Biker2 Level 1

If you really think what I am using is so out dated, then what you stated will be out dated within six months.

I have a PDSLA which is yrs old but still sells for $150ave and still performs great as a server.

Just a side note, using the MB and the E8400 I can overclk pass 4.2GHz, which is very good if one wished too, and using an air cooler.

• 16. Re: SuperMicro MB's vs Gaming MB's.
                                        Jim_Simon Level 8

think the gaming boards are just a nice shoe shine that will not last

You mean in general?  Or specifically for you're needs?

(By the way, I feel it's incorrect to refer to mainstream boards as 'gaming' boards.  The two main divisions are "mainstream" and "workstation/server".  The former is used in probably 90% of the world's computers, only a small percentage of which are dedicated to gaming.

• 17. Re: SuperMicro MB's vs Gaming MB's.
                                          Harm Millaard Level 7
                                          Just a side note, using the MB and the E8400 I can overclk pass 4.2GHz, which is very good if one wished too, and using an air cooler.

I don't dispute the OC capabilities, I just think the CPU is outdated and underpowered. On the CPU benchmarks of PassMark, the E8400 scores 2160, the i7-920 scores 5439. In comparison the E8400 has a street price of 140 euros, the i7-920 has a street price of 220 euros. When you take into consideration the other advantages of LGA-1366 boards versus LGA-775 boards, the performance difference will be even wider. My own OC'ed system scores 9471 on the CPU benchmark test, so even if you OC the E8400, it will still be left in the dust by more modern CPU's.

• 18. Re: SuperMicro MB's vs Gaming MB's.
                                            Biker2 Level 1

I'm not really a gamer, more in-line with CAD, Photo, Science (Aerospace), mine is most likely not the opinion for most.

• 19. Re: SuperMicro MB's vs Gaming MB's.
                                              John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I am not a gamer, I do not overclock... and when I build a computer next year to run Win7 64bit, it will be with the Asus P6 motherboard and 12gig of ram

I would have bought an Intel motherboard (my previous and current MBs are Intel) but the only one I can find for the i7 only has 4 memory slots, and I can't afford to buy 4Gig ram sticks to get to 12Gig

I don't even do HD editing (just SD for home movies) but I simply want more speed and less time waiting... but I'm going to go ahead and build a system that is as up to date as I can afford... I just don't see the point in building a system that is outdated before I even mount the motherboard to the case

• 20. Re: SuperMicro MB's vs Gaming MB's.
                                                Biker2 Level 1

So with that much info on benchmarks, are you using the CPU(s) 100% running 64bit software Apps and OS. I know Im not, even running programs of science. Now for gamers I would understand the need.

The thing is, alot of great puter work can be done with a well stable put together system even if its months/yrs old.

Sorry, but I really don't worry about the cost if I need an item and want it, main point is what I feel works well and stable, price is far down the road.

Did you know that one could make a Cray Super Computer using nothing more then Xboxes.

BTW, I'm not judging what you use, only how I would use it

• 21. Re: SuperMicro MB's vs Gaming MB's.
                                                  Biker2 Level 1

LOL, really is it so out dated...

BTW, I was looking at the new Intel DX58 MB, then I notice the SATA's port mounting, they should have used 90deg mountings

• 22. Re: SuperMicro MB's vs Gaming MB's.
                                                    Harm Millaard Level 7
                                                    So with that much info on benchmarks, are you using the CPU(s) 100% running 64bit software Apps and OS.

Yes, when I encode. And that may take hours, even on my system. There have been numerous people here who have wondered why their 10 minute timeline took 10 hours to encode.