2 Replies Latest reply on Aug 26, 2009 1:04 AM by Willam van Weelden

Link to an external RoboHlp8 html file

WoWronin

Hi,

I am trying to create a link to another RH8 project.

I have been using Insert Hyperlink\Link to\File\Locating the html file in the other project.

When I click OK it displays This action will create an external link to the help system. The link may not function..........

If I create a link anyway when I publish I cannot open it.

Any ideas??

thank you.

Wowronin

• 1. Re: Link to an external RoboHlp8 html file
          Willam van Weelden Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Hi,

The link you're creating is relative from the path your source files are stored. Because the link is external, RoboHelp cannot update your link, so your link won't work.

When you make an external link, you must either use a hard address, such as "http://www.adobe.com" or make a relative link, which is relative from the published location. Say that you have two projects, in project 1 you create the link ../project_2/project_2.htm. This link will take the parent directory of the topic, then the directory project_2 and open the file project_2.htm. When you create these relative links, your links will only work on the published (or test) server/directory.

Also note that you can use a hard address for files on network drives (ie g:\123.txt), but that will require every user to have access to this drive, and every user must have the same drive letter assigned to the network drive. I suggest that you use relative paths, but it'll require some planning.

Greet,

Willam

• 2. Re: Link to an external RoboHlp8 html file
            Peter Grainge Adobe Community Professional (Moderator)

Well the message did say it might not work.

What is happening here is that the path in your source project is either being created

• As an absolute path
            • As a relative path

and in both cases it is incorrect when the help is on the server. Either way, open the topic in HTML view and change the path so that it will be valid on the server.

I have assumed this is not a merged help setup. If it is, then look at my Merged Help topics.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips