20 Replies Latest reply on Aug 26, 2009 6:07 PM by the_wine_snob

Is down loading projects to DVD's a safe way to edit and save?

zjimbo Level 1

Hello: I am new to the sight with only one post. Got help thanks. I now want to ask what you think.

I am considering downloading my HD video projects to RW DVD's. Then I want to delete them from my hard drive. I want to do this not to save memory, but to hopefully stop 'Adobe from running out of memory' while in the middle of a project. There has been a lot of discussion about this "Low on memory....Serious problem...Shutting down stuff.

I have 8GB of Ram. Vista 64 bit, 650 GB HD, and a 6000X2 processor all for CS3. My problem is as I work on a project it gets slower and slower. I learned (by reading this forum) to shut down my computer and restarting. This works, for a while, but as my projects reach over 20 minutes the fix is short lived.

I am making a technical DVD using a lot of Transitions, some Effects for  color corrections, and a lot to Titles. In other words my projects are very busy. The busier I get the longer it takes to load and the slow things go while editing.

That is why I was considering emptying my HD and downloading one project at a time.

Is this a safe way to handle my projects?

I did a search and did not find any related discussions.

Thanks Jim

• 1. Re: Is down loading projects to DVD's a safe way to edit and save?
          Captiv8r Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Hi Jim

Please advise as to the path you followed that ended with you posting your question in this forum. Unfortunately, this forum is for assistance or reporting issues with operation of the forums themselves. So there may be a link that needs to be reviewed so you end up in a better venue next time around.

Please also advise which Adobe product you are using. I don't see it listed here. If we knew the product, we could move your thread to the appropriate forum so you wouldn't need to type it in again.

Cheers... Rick

• 3. Re: Is down loading projects to DVD's a safe way to edit and save?
            zjimbo Level 1

In the third paragraph I said CS3. I guess I should have stated Adobe Premire CS3. Sorry.

Please route correctly. I will watch out for that next time.

Thanks

Jim

• 4. Re: Is down loading projects to DVD's a safe way to edit and save?

Hi there

I just moved the thread for you.

Note that because of the way the forum software works, you may see it in the Forum Comments as well as the Premiere Pro forums for a whle.

Cheers and happy Wednesday! Rick

• 5. Re: Is down loading projects to DVD's a safe way to edit and save?
                Harm Millaard Level 7

That is not a solution to your memory problems and may lead to different problems. A solution may be to improve your disk setup. Hard to tell without details.

• 6. Re: Is down loading projects to DVD's a safe way to edit and save?
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Far better than using DVD media, except for final output to either DVD-Video for SD, or BD for HD (general High Definition output to BD), would be to acquire several external HDD's with a good, fast connection, like eSATA. Use Project Manager to get your existing Projects and Assets to those. Then you can reinstall them and edit more. Otherwise you will need tons of DVD's and software that can "span" many discs. Even BD will have limitations on data storage. A small handful of 2TB externals will last for quite a while and you'll not have issues.

Glad that your post found its way home. Some of the Adobe forum wires seem to X'ed.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: Is down loading projects to DVD's a safe way to edit and save?
                    John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>650 GB HD

Video editing works MUCH better if you have at least two hard drives... one for boot and all software and one for all video data... some people even use 3 hard drives, with the 3rd drive for "scratch" (temporary files)

These must be separate, physical drives... NEVER EVER a partition on one drive!!!

You say "HD video projects" but then you talk about making a DVD, which is SD (Standard Definition)

Are you editing HD (High Definition) video... or SD video?

What CODEC are you editing?

No matter what else is going on, you really should have at least two physical hard drives for video editing

• 8. Re: Is down loading projects to DVD's a safe way to edit and save?
                      Phillip M Jones Level 4

Why are we in the Primiere pro Group when we should be in forum discussions

• 9. Re: Is down loading projects to DVD's a safe way to edit and save?
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Phillip,

This post got funneled to the Site Talk forum, but was then moved to the PrPro forum. My guess is that it still appears in Site Talk too.

See, I told you to get a copy of PrPro!

Hunt

• 10. Re: Is down loading projects to DVD's a safe way to edit and save?

Hi Phillip

You would prefer to see Premiere Pro questions asked and answered in Forum Discussions?

Each step along the way of this thread's journey was clearly documented.

Cheers... Rick

• 11. Re: Is down loading projects to DVD's a safe way to edit and save?
                            zjimbo Level 1

I'm sorry to mislead you. I really don't know much about computers. I didn't get started until later in live. I'm like the guy who can drive a car, but has no clue how it works or how to fix what is wrong. (Although I do know something about cars. I am currently restoring a 1978 280z. Rebuilt the engine and I am now striping the body to paint, but this is not a "Z" forum, sooooo.....)

I do have a portioned HD - "C" has about 140GB; it's "D" that has 650GB. BUT I don't think my computer is set up to edit on "C" and Store on "D". I'm sure I'm doing it all in "D". That is where I save a New Project and work on it. OH yea, I also have an external HD called Omega HDLD-UP? I use it as a back up storage. I'll Google it to learn what you are talking about.

So I guess my next question is: Is it a big deal to set up my computer to edit in "C" and store in "D"? I have heard if you move Projects around or change their names, or File Paths (I have no idea what I am talking about) you can mess up a project. I did some stuff once that turned all my clips red. If you have ever deleted a part of a file you know what I mean. HA HA

Thanks Jim

• 12. Re: Is down loading projects to DVD's a safe way to edit and save?
                              Harm Millaard Level 7

A single partitioned disk is bound to give trouble at some time. Make sure you have at least three physical disks in your system.

Have a look here and specifically read the Storage Guide: How to get the best from a PC? Some guides...

• 13. Re: Is down loading projects to DVD's a safe way to edit and save?

One, single, physical hard drive partitioned is just about the WORST POSSIBLE choice for video editing

You still only have one set of read/write heads, and now that one set of read/write heads is trying to be in two places at once... reading a program segment for what you are doing, and a data segment for what you are using

You really, REALLY need at least two, separate physical hard drives

• 14. Re: Is down loading projects to DVD's a safe way to edit and save?
                                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Jim,

You can set up your Project on D:\ and locate your Scratch Disks there. When you Export from PrPro, you can direct those files to D:\.

However, a partition is a very bad decision for doing any Video editing, and not really a good idea for much of anything else. What happens is the OS thinks you have two physical HDD's (Hard Disk Drives) and so tells each one to do something at the same time. Your partitioned HDD cannot do this, and the best you can hope for will be a major slowdown. Other, more serious problems can also develop.

I'd look into adding HDD's (physical, internals) to your computer for Video work. Then, you can use a utility like Partition Magic, or similar to "roll" your D:\ partition into C:\, making it one physical and logical HDD. Your experiences will be much better that way.

A partition would be similar to having the injection system on your 280Z and trying to also add a 2-barrel carb to it, in addition.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 15. Re: Is down loading projects to DVD's a safe way to edit and save?
                                    zjimbo Level 1

These must be separate, physical drives... NEVER EVER a partition on one drive!!! Opps, I didn't allow that to soak in.

I do have a couple of my projects saved on DVD. They will not play on my TV. They did not take but a minute or so to load. I don't think they are the actual video, just the info digital stuff. (Again I am clueless) All I know is it takes a long time, an hour or so to copy to a DVD that I can watch on my TV. It's quality is fair. I have been using them to see the work to help me catch mistakes.

I have read all about the problems with putting HD on DVD's. I understand that some. But due to the cost, I do not want to put my completed project for sale on Blue Ray. I have seen Software that is suppose to allow you to do that?? And like I said I get a fair quality from HD to DVD if I set up my project correct in File/Movie/Adobe Media Encoder.

I think if I keep telling what I am doing, and how I am doing it, I am going to get in trouble.

Jim

• 16. Re: Is down loading projects to DVD's a safe way to edit and save?
                                      zjimbo Level 1

Man, did I get lead down the wrong path. The guy who built my computer said "THIS IS THE WAY TO FLY". I have been having problems from day one, but I never knew why. Eveything works good until I load up a big Project, and then wham'......things drag. It can take up to 3-5 seconds to make a cut and ripple delete. The video lazily moves in place and then the audio slowly drags behind; no snap stuff when I first capture the film. My busy projects really are a drag.

I ask him about this and he said he did not know my projects were going to be so demanding. What you need is to upgrade to Windows Vista so you can have 8GB of Ram. Then go to CS3. He then split my hard drive, that was in thirds, down to two. He said I was now editing in "C" and "Storing in "D".

When I did that I was less $500.00 and it did not take long until my "C" drive got full and things really when North, like molasses in Main. I captured to C:/ and they stayed there. He did not tell me if I would need to do somethng to get them into "D". Then he split and went North. Now I am out in the cold.

I can physically install a new HD in my computer but to move all the files around and up and running running is a different matter. I will need to take it to a shop. Any of you guys live in Claremore?

• 17. Re: Is down loading projects to DVD's a safe way to edit and save?
                                        Harm Millaard Level 7

The problem is often, that while well intended, the advise of 'experts' is often limited to general use or gaming machines and hardly ever do they have any inkling of what is required for an editing machine. In stores it is often even worse, most of the time they have difficulty in distinguishing a SATA drive from a vacuum cleaner.

That is what these fora are for, to help you figure it out with the help of people who have experienced exactly what you are experiencing now.

• 18. Re: Is down loading projects to DVD's a safe way to edit and save?
                                          zjimbo Level 1

Thanks for all the help. I am now going to research SATA drives. I have learned how it "Vacuums" to get into something I didn't need.

• 19. Re: Is down loading projects to DVD's a safe way to edit and save?

>I am now going to research SATA drives

First, you need to find out exactly what your motherboard will support

An IDE connector will not run a SATA drive, and a SATA connector will not run an IDE drive

You need to find out what kind, and how many, hard drive connections you have

THEN you look into buying another drive

• 20. Re: Is down loading projects to DVD's a safe way to edit and save?
                                              the_wine_snob Level 9

This happens all too often. Few computer builders know how to layout and set up an NLE machine. They just do not see these, and do not understand them Same for image/design computers, though they are less stressful.

One of the biggest mistakes that I see is the recommendation to stripe 2 HDD's into a single RAID 0 array, and put the system, and everything else, onto this "single" disc. Yes, it's a bit faster, but with great potential problems and also limitations on disc utilization for editing. They should be selling a 3x, straight HDD setup. If one needs, or wants RAID, there can be places for that, but NOT as the single system disc.

Happens with too great a frequency. It's not their fault, really, it's just that they build gaming machines and then e-mail/Office machines, and just have no clue. They should step back, admit that they do not know, and then do the research for the client.

Good luck,

Hunt