6 Replies Latest reply on Jul 24, 2008 8:15 AM by Newsgroup_User

    OT: expired newsgroup articles?

    Level 7
      This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
      --------------020103010001070300010302
      Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1; format=flowed
      Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

      hi everyone. whenever i try to look at a message from more than two
      months ago, i get an error message like this:


      Error!

      newsgroup server responded:*Bad article number*

      *

      Perhaps the article has expired

      *

      <fsfdgf$kma$1@forums.macromedia.com> (1403848)



      i don't recall this always being the case. is this a problem with the
      newsgroup, or my newsgroup reader (Thunderbird)?



      --------------020103010001070300010302
      Content-Type: text/html; charset=ISO-8859-1
      Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

      <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN">
      <html>
      <head>
      </head>
      <body bgcolor="#ffffff" text="#000000">
      hi everyone. whenever i try to look at a message from more than two
      months ago, i get an error message like this:<br>
      <br>
      <h1>Error!</h1>
      newsgroup server responded:<b>Bad article number</b>
      <p><b>
      <p>Perhaps the article has expired</p>
      </b></p>
      <p><a class="moz-txt-link-rfc2396E" href="mailto:fsfdgf$kma$1@forums.macromedia.com">&lt;fsfdgf$kma$1@forums.macromedia.com&g t;</a> (1403848)<br>
      </p>
      <p><br>
      </p>
      <p><br>
      i don't recall this always being the case. is this a problem with the
      newsgroup, or my newsgroup reader (Thunderbird)?<br>
      </p>
      <br>
      </body>
      </html>

      --------------020103010001070300010302--
        • 1. Re: OT: expired newsgroup articles?
          Level 7
          courtney (n h c) wrote:
          > i don't recall this always being the case. is this a problem with the
          > newsgroup, or my newsgroup reader (Thunderbird)?

          I get it too, but always have done. I use Google Groups if I want to
          look at an old post.

          Steve
          • 2. Re: OT: expired newsgroup articles?
            Level 7
            see, i'm just not sure if it's been this way all along and i never
            noticed, or if it just started recently. i just go to the forums on the
            Adobe website to look at old stuff, but it's quite a pain in the ***!

            do you also use Thunderbird? or does it happen in every newsgroup reader?

            Dooza wrote:
            > courtney (n h c) wrote:
            >> i don't recall this always being the case. is this a problem with the
            >> newsgroup, or my newsgroup reader (Thunderbird)?
            >
            > I get it too, but always have done. I use Google Groups if I want to
            > look at an old post.
            >
            > Steve
            • 3. Re: OT: expired newsgroup articles?
              Level 7
              I also use Tb and get the same thing. Though just as Steve said Google
              Groups it's very handy to search info:

              http://groups.google.com/group/macromedia.dreamweaver/topics?hl=es&gvc=2

              IMHO it's the best way to search in this forum.

              courtney (n h c) wrote:
              > see, i'm just not sure if it's been this way all along and i never
              > noticed, or if it just started recently. i just go to the forums on the
              > Adobe website to look at old stuff, but it's quite a pain in the ***!
              >
              > do you also use Thunderbird? or does it happen in every newsgroup reader?
              >
              > Dooza wrote:
              >> courtney (n h c) wrote:
              >>> i don't recall this always being the case. is this a problem with the
              >>> newsgroup, or my newsgroup reader (Thunderbird)?
              >>
              >> I get it too, but always have done. I use Google Groups if I want to
              >> look at an old post.
              >>
              >> Steve
              • 4. Re: OT: expired newsgroup articles?
                Level 7
                courtney (n h c) wrote:
                > see, i'm just not sure if it's been this way all along and i never
                > noticed, or if it just started recently. i just go to the forums on the
                > Adobe website to look at old stuff, but it's quite a pain in the ***!
                >
                > do you also use Thunderbird? or does it happen in every newsgroup reader?

                Yup, I am on Thunderbird too.

                Steve
                • 5. Re: OT: expired newsgroup articles?
                  Level 7
                  .oO(courtney (n h c))

                  >hi everyone. whenever i try to look at a message from more than two
                  >months ago, i get an error message like this:
                  >
                  >
                  > Error!
                  >
                  >newsgroup server responded:*Bad article number*
                  >
                  >*
                  >
                  >Perhaps the article has expired

                  That's the normal way. Newsservers hold postings only for some time, but
                  never forever. How long they will be kept depends on the the newsgroup,
                  the server and its storage capabilities. Typical ranges are from just a
                  couple of days for binary groups up to several weeks or even months for
                  text-based groups in the big international hierarchies.

                  As an example here's the group list of the server I use (except for
                  postings to this group):

                  http://individual.net/hierarchies.php

                  You can clearly see the different expire times - only the biggest
                  hierarchies are kept for up to 8 months.

                  For older postings you always have to use an archive like Google Groups
                  with their huge server farms. A single server would never be able to
                  permanently store the huge amount of traffic that goes through the
                  newsgroups every day.

                  But every good newsreader allows to archive the postings you want to
                  keep on your local machine.

                  Micha
                  • 6. Re: OT: expired newsgroup articles?
                    Level 7
                    This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
                    --------------050701080603080702010202
                    Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1; format=flowed
                    Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

                    i see! thanks for the info.

                    i guess it's not a big deal to go to Google or Adobe.com to search for
                    posts. i have to do that sometimes anyway because when i search in
                    Thunderbird, it only searches the subject (which i assume is because i
                    only download the message headers and not the entire message).

                    thanks again!

                    Michael Fesser wrote:
                    > .oO(courtney (n h c))
                    >
                    >
                    >> hi everyone. whenever i try to look at a message from more than two
                    >> months ago, i get an error message like this:
                    >>
                    >>
                    >> Error!
                    >>
                    >> newsgroup server responded:*Bad article number*
                    >>
                    >> *
                    >>
                    >> Perhaps the article has expired
                    >>
                    >
                    > That's the normal way. Newsservers hold postings only for some time, but
                    > never forever. How long they will be kept depends on the the newsgroup,
                    > the server and its storage capabilities. Typical ranges are from just a
                    > couple of days for binary groups up to several weeks or even months for
                    > text-based groups in the big international hierarchies.
                    >
                    > As an example here's the group list of the server I use (except for
                    > postings to this group):
                    >
                    > http://individual.net/hierarchies.php
                    >
                    > You can clearly see the different expire times - only the biggest
                    > hierarchies are kept for up to 8 months.
                    >
                    > For older postings you always have to use an archive like Google Groups
                    > with their huge server farms. A single server would never be able to
                    > permanently store the huge amount of traffic that goes through the
                    > newsgroups every day.
                    >
                    > But every good newsreader allows to archive the postings you want to
                    > keep on your local machine.
                    >
                    > Micha
                    >

                    --------------050701080603080702010202
                    Content-Type: text/html; charset=ISO-8859-1
                    Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

                    <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN">
                    <html>
                    <head>
                    <meta content="text/html;charset=ISO-8859-1" http-equiv="Content-Type">
                    <title></title>
                    </head>
                    <body bgcolor="#ffffff" text="#000000">
                    i see! thanks for the info.<br>
                    <br>
                    i guess it's not a big deal to go to Google or Adobe.com to search for
                    posts. i have to do that sometimes anyway because when i search in
                    Thunderbird, it only searches the subject (which i assume is because i
                    only download the message headers and not the entire message).<br>
                    <br>
                    thanks again!<br>
                    <br>
                    Michael Fesser wrote:
                    <blockquote cite="mid:8btg84ddh8026htn1ufies3pb6a2i7u2jp@4ax.com"
                    type="cite">
                    <pre wrap="">.oO(courtney (n h c))

                    </pre>
                    <blockquote type="cite">
                    <pre wrap="">hi everyone. whenever i try to look at a message from more than two
                    months ago, i get an error message like this:


                    Error!

                    newsgroup server responded:*Bad article number*

                    *

                    Perhaps the article has expired
                    </pre>
                    </blockquote>
                    <pre wrap=""><!---->
                    That's the normal way. Newsservers hold postings only for some time, but
                    never forever. How long they will be kept depends on the the newsgroup,
                    the server and its storage capabilities. Typical ranges are from just a
                    couple of days for binary groups up to several weeks or even months for
                    text-based groups in the big international hierarchies.

                    As an example here's the group list of the server I use (except for
                    postings to this group):

                    <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href=" http://individual.net/hierarchies.php">http://individual.net/hierarchies.php</a>

                    You can clearly see the different expire times - only the biggest
                    hierarchies are kept for up to 8 months.

                    For older postings you always have to use an archive like Google Groups
                    with their huge server farms. A single server would never be able to
                    permanently store the huge amount of traffic that goes through the
                    newsgroups every day.

                    But every good newsreader allows to archive the postings you want to
                    keep on your local machine.

                    Micha
                    </pre>
                    </blockquote>
                    </body>
                    </html>

                    --------------050701080603080702010202--