8 Replies Latest reply: Aug 28, 2009 7:42 AM by Bart Cross RSS

Cannot resize CS2 objects, please help!

ConnieMSM

Hello,

I'm new to this forum, hopefully someone here can help me.  I have worked with every other version of Photoshop and have never had this issue.  I just installed (and updated) Photoshop CS2 for Windows.  When I attempt to do a simple resize of an image object, it doesn't work.  The diagonal arrow handler shows up and the bounding box changes as if it will transform, but dragging by the corners do nothing.  I've tried doing it manually, through the toolbar (Transform -> Scale, and Transform -> Free Transform), via CTL+T...nothing.  A couple of times it did allow me to resize but didn't want to let me when I held Shift to keep the ratio intact...but now it won't let me at all.

The other thing it's doing is when I drag the image object to move it to the corner of the canvas, the image follows my mouse but when I let go to place it pops right back over to where it was, as if there is some hidden anchor.

As a side note some days I have to open Photoshop several times before I can create a new image or open one, because when I try to nothing happens at all.  So I don't know if the image resizing & moving issues are part of this bugginess or if it's a result of some setting Photoshop employed in CS2.  I have all the Snap to options turned off and have looked all over for a setting that might be causing this, to no avail.

• 1. Re: Cannot resize CS2 objects, please help!
          John Joslin Community Member

When and where did you acquire CS2?

There are a lot of buggy pirate versions on the market!

Read all about it here! – http://forums.adobe.com/message/1636890#1636890

• 2. Re: Cannot resize CS2 objects, please help!
            ConnieMSM Community Member

I installed it directly from the CD, it is a licensed copy that my employer purchased for my work computer, no way it's pirated.

• 3. Re: Cannot resize CS2 objects, please help!

ConnieMSM wrote:

I installed it directly from the CD, it is a licensed copy that my employer purchased for my work computer, no way it's pirated.

If your employer purchased it from an authorised reseller that's not a problem, but recently acquired versions of this 4-year-old version are predominantly pirated.

• 4. Re: Cannot resize CS2 objects, please help!
                Bart Cross Community Member

Have you tried resetting the preferences as per the FAQ?

Ingore the piracy comments, it seems to be the sport these days to assume someone has a pirated version before there is any proof.

• 5. Re: Cannot resize CS2 objects, please help!
                  ConnieMSM Community Member

Thanks, Bart - Yes, I did reset the preferences per FAQ's.  This morning I tried repairing the installation but the problems still existed.  I then completely uninstalled the program and reinstalled it fresh, ran all of the updates again, and tried to play around with the tools I was formerly unable to use.  Everything appears to now be working correctly (although I'm not 100% convinced yet!)  When I installed it the FIRST time, I walked away from my computer while it was installing the Adobe updates, and Windows rebooted on me due to automatic Windows updates.  I'm wondering if that somehow corrupted the installation, as I was having all of the following problems:

-crop wouldn't work

-clipboard wouldn't import things to paste most of the time, errors

-transform and resize didn't work

-problems creating new files or opening files (no response)

-lasso would reset in the middle of tracing

-paintbrush strokes would work and then disappear

-clone stamp would start working then disappear

-flatten image didn't work

There was other random bugginess here and there.

I will be using the program frequently today and will update this post at the end of the day with whether or not the problems seem to be gone for good after this morning's reinstall.

• 6. Re: Cannot resize CS2 objects, please help!

Hopefully the reinstallation did the trick.

It is hard to say if the 'Windows Update' did it, it is good at letting processes finish before shutting down or re-booting. I always keep an eye on my machine during these processes.

• 7. Re: Cannot resize CS2 objects, please help!

Bart Cross wrote:

it seems to be the sport these days to assume someone has a pirated version before there is any proof.

Ahem!  I did not assume anything Bart. I simply sounded a cautionary note in the light of several hundred posts about malfunctioning versions of CS2.

And being the unwitting victim of a crime is not an offence anyway.

• 8. Re: Cannot resize CS2 objects, please help!

JJ: AHEM yourself, it would have been more believable if you had made a helpful suggestion after your 'cautionary note'