4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 26, 2009 11:42 AM by PrepressPro1

Inaccurate 3D mapping

Steve Fairbairn Level 5

Here's a funny thing that just cropped up.

I had a low res jpg image that I wanted to map onto a curved wall for a sketch of a display. The wall was done by simply extruding an expanded curved line and I made a symbol of the image for mapping purposes.

The picture at the top shows the original image.

The picture in the middle shows the image mapped onto the wall – you see how it has become distorted off centre. The blue "logo" at the top is supposed to be in the vertical centre but has somehow moved to the right.

The bottom picture shows the same with the image distorted with a top object envelope. Now everything looks o.k.

Why din't the 3D mapping work properly? It was accurately centred onto the surface in question and scaled to fit.

mapping.jpg

• 1. Re: Inaccurate 3D mapping
          PrepressPro1 Adobe Community Professional

It doesn't look like your extruded and expanded curved line is symmetrical. If it was the perspective and logo at the top should be correct. You could take a straight line and warp it then extrude it to assure symmetry. Then try mapping. Or make a test grid with center arrows top, bottom, left and right, create a symbol of that and map. This would give you a way to trouble shoot the root cause of this "distortion being off center". but I think the issue is with the vector you started out with, and its symmetry.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Inaccurate 3D mapping
            Steve Fairbairn Level 5

You could be right. I started off by dividing a circle into 3 equal parts using a pie graph and then used one slice of the pie to get the curve. This means that the centre anchor point isn't on the centre of the curve and its handles are therefore of different lengths. Perhaps this affects the distortion although the curve itself is symmetrical in other respects. I'll try it another (symmetrical) way and see what happens.

• 3. Re: Inaccurate 3D mapping
              Steve Fairbairn Level 5

Yep, that did the trick. Strange, I wasn't expecting the mapping to be affected by the vector handles.

Thanx.

curved_wall.jpg

• 4. Re: Inaccurate 3D mapping
                PrepressPro1 Adobe Community Professional

You're welcome. Glad to be of assistance.