7 Replies Latest reply on Sep 4, 2009 1:46 PM by the_wine_snob

Can Digital Camera Photos in PS Elements be Used in Pre Elements?

sanray19 Level 1

I have digital photos from my camera saved in my PS Elements program. I want to convert them to a slide show DVD for viewing on a television. I am entirley new to Pre Elements but as I read and look at the tutorials I note they only talk about movie videos which can indeed be converted to DVD's.for television viewing. Can I assume that I can use a digital photo in place of a video strip and follow the directions given in Pre Elements for video strips to accomplish my objective? Or, am I tryng to do somethng Pre Elements is not designed for?

I am using Pre Elements 4 with Photoshop Elements 6.0 on a Vista system. I would greatly appreciate any guidance provided.

Sanray19     

• 1. Re: Can Digital Camera Photos in PS Elements be Used in Pre Elements?
          A.T. Romano Level 7

In Photoshop Elements 6 how did you save your stills, as .jpeg or .psd? I will not get into a discussion on that now, but the party line is each Save As for .jpeg creates degradation which you avoid by using the still saved as .psd (flattened when ready for use).

Then you need to plan your strategy...

create your slideshow in Photoshop Elements 6 (can include video there, but cannot edit the video there), output it to Premiere Elements 4, using the Output option = Send to Premiere Elements. Once the slideshow is in Premiere Elements 4, you can right click the transfer on the Timeline and select Break Apart Slideshow to give you more editing opportunities. After Edit, you can create an AutoPlay DVD-VIDEO or a DVD-VIDEO with menus.
          Main thing to remember is that Photoshop Elements is the photo editor and Premiere Elements is the video editor. I do recommend use of the Timeline in Premiere Elements 4 because I feel it gives you more control since you can see what you are doing better.

You do not have to use Photoshop Elements 6, except for editing your photos. You can use Premiere Elements 4 to create the presentation (stills and videos) as well as generate the DVD-VIDEO. There are always discussions on which way to go. There are some user friendly features of Photoshop Elements (pans & zooms, fit audio to slides...) that push some people that way first. But, Premiere Element does allow you the pans or zooms by presets or by keyframing.

Whatever you do, do not get caught in the oversized photo trap. Please read Steve Grisetti classic FAQ about Photo Resolution:

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/431851?tstart=0

I would suggest the you learn the basics of Photoshop Elements 6 Premiere Elements 4 first by going through the program's Help PDF Getting Started. Once you are comfortable about that, do some mini project before attempting the grand project. And, if you run into problems doing your mini runs, just ask questions. Just about everyone has been there and done that.

I will be looking forward to your progress.

ATR

(

• 2. Re: Can Digital Camera Photos in PS Elements be Used in Pre Elements?
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Yes. You can do a SlideShow in either PSE (to be sent to PrE for editing), or in PrE.

This ARTICLE will give you some tips on dealing with digital still images.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: Can Digital Camera Photos in PS Elements be Used in Pre Elements?
              sanray19 Level 1

I apologize for rmy late reply but I have been learning and experimenting using your responses to my original query. I discovered I was using PE 6 with PreE 4 not the earlier versions of my original query. So, I had to kind of start over. Then I discovered I had downloaded my digital camera photos into a 6 x 4 size (for printing) which had distorted the photos somewhat so I had to change each photo back to a 6 x 4.5 size to regain the correct proportions. I guess if you want to obtain a correctly proportioned 6 x 4 photo then cropping the original is the only answer? Sigh - living and learning is sometimes painful!

Oh, and about learning, I found out the hard way that my slideshow when imported to PreE was the last image in the scene line and I had inadvertantly deleted it! So, here I am starting over again. So, the learning experience has been a little frustrating. But Hey, I feel with some perseverance and help from this forum I can accomplish my objective and have a feeling of mastering creating DVD videos using video cam movies or still photos. And, since I am taking another European excursion later this month and have just purchased a Flip 2 hour mini camcoder to take with me I'll be experienced enough to create my own shows of the trip.

Thanks again for all your help.

Sanray19

• 4. Re: Can Digital Camera Photos in PS Elements be Used in Pre Elements?
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Sanray,

You are correct that cropping is one way to handle the differences in Aspect Ratio. Another is to create a "universal" background and place your un-cropped images onto it. This is a way to handle vertical images mixed with horizontal images. This ARTICLE will step you through that process, should you choose to go that route.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: Can Digital Camera Photos in PS Elements be Used in Pre Elements?
                  Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

There are a variety of sources for information on how to load, set up and use the program with a variety of video sources including the FAQs to the right of this forum, the tutorials included in the Inspiration Browser with the program, tutorials on sites like http://Muvpix.com and, of course, my books on Photoshop Elements and Premiere Elements.

Before you get too deeply into any project, it might be best to ensure you're using the best workflow. For instance, did you note Tony's post earlier warning you not to use photos over 1000x750 pixels in size? That's a very important point that will save you countless headaches in the future.

Also, you say you're planning to edit video from a Flip camcorder. The Flip camcorder's video really isn't designed to be edited. It's a point-and-upload-to-YouTube camcorder. Its video uses a proprietary codec that can cause editing programs all kinds of problems. The FAQs to the right of this forum offer solutions for working with video from these low-end "webbie" cams.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/437535?tstart=0

• 6. Re: Can Digital Camera Photos in PS Elements be Used in Pre Elements?
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Sanray19

I feel guilty giving you so much reading material on a holiday weekend, but…..

The following is an excellent link by Adobe on Resizing and Cropping in Photoshop and Photoshop Elements.

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/331/331327.html

Remember 6 x 4 is not a video size. It is a 3:2 print aspect ratio. With video, think pixel dimensions and either 4:3 (standard) or 16:9 (widescreen). Can I assume that you are going for DVD-VIDEO standard?

With that assumption, here is one idea. Open your photo in Photoshop Elements 6 Full Editor. Click on the Crop Tool in the Toolbox.

Look to the top of the interface where it says “Aspect Ratio”. Set that to Custom.

With Custom set, type in 1000 px for Width, 750 px for Height and maybe 250 pixel/inch for Resolution.

Then crop accordingly.

You can Save As JPEG or PSD (but if PSD use a flattened copy and retain a copy with all the layers (just in case you decide to do more edits…the saved flattened cannot be unflattened.)

Also, words of advice. Do not be discouraged by mistakes in the beginning. Look at them as learning experiences. Whenever I get lost driving to an appointment, I do not think of it as a loss, but rather now I know how to get to this unwanted place if I ever have to get there for real.

About that new "Flip 2 hour mini camcorder", please do some test runs before the trip so that you know that you can edit the video from that camcorder with Premiere Elements or any other video editor. Some of those Flip phones can be a challenge to edit.

ATR

• 7. Re: Can Digital Camera Photos in PS Elements be Used in Pre Elements?
                      the_wine_snob Level 9
                      You can Save As JPEG or PSD (but if PSD use a flattened copy and retain a copy with all the layers (just in case you decide to do more edits…the saved flattened cannot be unflattened.)

This is very good advice - the .PSD w/ Layers part. It is too often overlooked in workflows, as folk are often anxious to get their material into the NLE for editing.

I always have several versions of my stills, so I can go back to any point and easily make changes. I could not have it any other way. Even when the client says "yes, that is exactly what I want," I want the ability to go back to my Layers at full rez and make those changes that no one saw coming.

Inherited a major Project with 2000+ still images. These were once Layered PS .PSD's, but those were deleted, when the finished images were Imported. When I got the job, all we had were JPG's. I had to go in and rebuild about 300 images, creating Layers and basically redoing each image. Guess who DID Save those Layered .PSD's. I only wish that I had them for all the other 1700, as I will probably have to rework many more, before the job ships.

Happy editing,

Hunt

PS - Tony, I also like your comment about the "learning process," and the testing of the Flip, prior to the journey is great advice too!