11 Replies Latest reply on Aug 27, 2009 8:45 AM by Harm Millaard

Capture in Premiere Pro CS4

Web Devp AB

I just upgraded to Premiere Pro CS4.  I am on Windows using a Firewire to capture video from a Sony camera - not HDV.  I have control of play, stop, fast forward and rewind in the capture window, but can not see the video except on the camera.  The status above says Capture Device Offline.  Do I have to use the Windows program to capture my videos now in place of Premiere or is there a setting I am missing?  This worked fine in version 1.5.

• 1. Re: Capture in Premiere Pro CS4
          Harm Millaard Level 7
          Do I have to use the Windows program to capture my videos now in place of Premiere or is there a setting I am missing?

No. If you do that, you will end up with DV AVI type1 files instead of type2, which is the format PR wants. That will require a conversion before starting PR.

If everything worked with version 1.5, it should work with CS4. However, if you use other firewire devices in a daisy-chained manner, that may cause problems. Also, even on the fastest machines, it takes some time for PR to recognize the camera. Patience can do wonders. Sometimes it may help to turn on the camera before starting PR.

The fact that you can stop, play, fast forward, etc, shows your device is recognized. Why doesn't it capture? Possibly because your sequence settings, or your capture settings are incorrect for DV. Check those carefully.

• 2. Re: Capture in Premiere Pro CS4
            Web Devp AB Level 1

I think I could wait all day and PR wouldn't recognize the camera.  I have made no other changes other than to upgrade.  I even tried turning the camera on first then selecting the program when promoted as suggested, but no luck.

Gerri

Allan Block

"This is a transmission from Allan Block Corporation and may contain information which is privileged or confidential.  If you are not the addressee, note that any disclosure, copying, distribution, or use of the contents of this message is prohibited.  If you have received this information in error, please destroy it and notify us immediately at our telephone number (952) 835-5309."

• 3. Re: Capture in Premiere Pro CS4
              Harm Millaard Level 7
              I have control of play, stop, fast forward and rewind in the capture window

in your original post, followed by:

I think I could wait all day and PR wouldn't recognize the camera.

So which is it?

• 4. Re: Capture in Premiere Pro CS4
                Web Devp AB Level 1

It is both.  I have limited controls of the camera in the capture window (play, stop, fast forward and rewind and it states above its offline).  But I cannot view in capture screen and no option to record to create the capture.

Gerri

Allan Block

"This is a transmission from Allan Block Corporation and may contain information which is privileged or confidential.  If you are not the addressee, note that any disclosure, copying, distribution, or use of the contents of this message is prohibited.  If you have received this information in error, please destroy it and notify us immediately at our telephone number (952) 835-5309."

• 5. Re: Capture in Premiere Pro CS4
                  Harm Millaard Level 7

Do you happen to have any other firewire devices on the same connector or daisy-chained? That can make a difference.

• 6. Re: Capture in Premiere Pro CS4
                    Web Devp AB Level 1

Unfortunately no. 

Gerri

Allan Block

"This is a transmission from Allan Block Corporation and may contain

information which is privileged or confidential.  If you are not the

addressee, note that any disclosure, copying, distribution, or use of

the contents of this message is prohibited.  If you have received this

information in error, please destroy it and notify us immediately at our

telephone number (952) 835-5309."

• 7. Re: Capture in Premiere Pro CS4
                      Harm Millaard Level 7
                      Unfortunately no.

No, LUCKY you. That is ruled out as a potential problem. I have once had a similar issue where my DV-deck was not recognized within PR. I still have not found where the problem was because I could not replicate it, nor how to avoid it in the future. I can't even remember how I solved it exactly in the steps I took. But what can help is reboot, make sure there are no offending processes running that may claim the firewire port, reopen the project in PR, turn on the camera, wait for the ding or **** from Windows and let PR recognize the camera. If it still is not recognized, try to change the device settings and turn them back again. You may ned to turn the camera off and on several times, but in all cases, be patient. I hope this helps.

• 8. Re: Capture in Premiere Pro CS4
                        Web Devp AB Level 1

Thank you for your help - it has now started working, but I have done nothing different.  I guess I was patient without even trying.  Computers....

Gerri

Allan Block

• 9. Re: Capture in Premiere Pro CS4
                          Harm Millaard Level 7

You know, this Jives software for the forum gives me the jives from time to time. I just noticed that my previous mail was modified, because I used the word D O N G (without the spaces) as an indication of the sound but it was replaced by **** . Can somebody enlighten me as to the reason for this modification, is the word a derogatory term? It may be my lack of expertise in English...

Thank you for your help - it has now started working, but I have done nothing different

Glad it started working now. Happy editing

BTW, I do not have strong objections to being awarded helpful or correct points for the effort.

1 person found this helpful
                          • 10. Re: Capture in Premiere Pro CS4
                            John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Those 4 letters are sometimes used to refer to the male s-e-x organ

• 11. Re: Capture in Premiere Pro CS4
                              Harm Millaard Level 7

Thanks for the answer. I'm learning something every day here.