5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 27, 2009 10:25 AM by Sheldon Samuels

Windows Media Player Plugin

Sheldon Samuels

I have an Air application that I've built that doubles as a video player.  The player itself was provided by a third party in order for my Air application to run media files from their video server.  I would also like the player to play live streams.  The player is triggered from my Air application in a popup window using:

myPlayer = window.open( 'v2VideoPlayer.html', 'myPlayer', 'width = 402, height = 303');

The web page "v2VideoPlayer.html", by itself works great across any of the four main browsers (IE, FF, Safari and Chome).  But within Adobe Air through the window.open command, it states that it is looking for the Windows Media Player plugin.

I have installed the default WMP plugin for Firefox and am able to play streams in any of the four browsers.

Is there a WMP plugin for Adobe or Adobe Air?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Sheldon Samuels

• 1. Re: Windows Media Player Plugin
          Joe ... Ward Level 4

AIR only supports the Acrobat plug-in (and Flash Player itself).

• 2. Re: Windows Media Player Plugin
            karthick86mca Level 1

Nope.

We cant embed any native application in air.

Adobe air provides the video display component. using that u can create own video player.

Thanks karthick

• 3. Re: Windows Media Player Plugin
              Sheldon Samuels Level 1

Some clarification and more questions:

In the popup, I am not trying to open up the Windows Media Player.  I am simply displaying a webpage that has an embedded player.  The player requires the WMP plugin, at least to run the plugin in any browser besides IE.  Does that make a difference?

I have not been able to find any information on the video component within Adobe Air.  Is there a link to documentation on utilize this in an application?

Can the video component play the following:

Live multicast (UDP) streams in either MPEG2, MPEG2 (H.264) or WMV formats like the VLC player?

Can it play media titles from a video server via an HTTP link to the title, again, in a way similar to VLC?

I know that I can embed VLC or a SWF player (or even the embedded WMP player) into an HTML page and play the videos that way and I can force a browser window to open with the player as the only element of the browser page.  But, the browser would not be linked in any way back to my Adobe Air application.  Is there any way to keep the two linked, so at least the Adobe Air app knows whether the browser window (with the embedded player) is active or was already closed?

Is there a way to directly communicate between the Adobe Air app and the browser window?

My Adobe Air application is a desktop app to avoid any cross-domain security issues.

Thank you for your assistance.

• 4. Re: Windows Media Player Plugin
                Joe ... Ward Level 4

"In the popup, I am not trying to open up the Windows Media Player.  I am simply displaying a webpage that has an embedded player.  The player requires the WMP plugin, at least to run the plugin in any browser besides IE.  Does that make a difference?"

No, it doesn't make a difference. Arguably it is a bug that AIR doesn't give you a proper error message that plug-ins aren't supported.

"I have not been able to find any information on the video component within Adobe Air.  Is there a link to documentation on utilize this in an application?"

There are a variety of video components (both Adobe and 3rd party) as well as APIs that you can use to create video components.

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/AS3LCR/Flash_10.0/fl/video/VideoPlayer.html

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/ActionScript/3.0_ProgrammingAS3/WS5b3ccc516d4fbf351e63e3d118a9 b90204-7e1a.html

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/FlashMediaServer/3.5_TechOverview/WS5b3ccc516d4fbf351e63e3d119 ed944915-7fff.html

You could also search around the Adobe Developer Connection for articles on Flash video (http://www.adobe.com/devnet/)

"Can the video component play the following: 

Live multicast (UDP) streams in either MPEG2, MPEG2 (H.264) or WMV formats like the VLC player?"

Yes on multicast, but I believe this requires the Adobe FMS server. There's no way to play WMV formats.

"Can it play media titles from a video server via an HTTP link to the title, again, in a way similar to VLC?"

This might vary based on the particular component you are using, but it is certainly achievable with the Flash Player API.

"I know that I can embed VLC or a SWF player (or even the embedded WMP player) into an HTML page and play the videos that way and I can force a browser window to open with the player as the only element of the browser page.  But, the browser would not be linked in any way back to my Adobe Air application.  Is there any way to keep the two linked, so at least the Adobe Air app knows whether the browser window (with the embedded player) is active or was already closed?

Is there a way to directly communicate between the Adobe Air app and the browser window?"

Yes, you can use the LocalConnection class to communicate between a SWF file running in the browser and your AIR app. If you wanted to control the video player it is probably easiest to include the local connection code in the same SWF as the video player.

• 5. Re: Windows Media Player Plugin
                  Sheldon Samuels Level 1

Thank you for the quick response.  It sounds like the LocalConnection class may be the best alternative.  I will give that a try.

Thanks again.