10 Replies Latest reply on Oct 6, 2006 1:36 PM by Newsgroup_User

Dreamweaver Coursebuilder

Marina_E
      I've been trying to find out where to buy or download Dreamweaver Coursebuilder, and have been having problems. I can't seem to find an updated version (compatible with Dreamweaver 8 instead of MX), can't find a website with pricing info, or even a free trial download site. Does anyone know where I could get this information? Or has Coursebuilder been discontinued?

Thanks.
        • 1. Re: Dreamweaver Coursebuilder
          Level 7
          Coursebuilder was sold to Rapid Intake. The DW8 version of the extension is
          offered on their site. The extension is still free .. the support for it is
          not.

http://www.rapidintake.com/adobe_index.htm

--
          Nancy Gill
          Adobe Community Expert
          BLOG: http://www.dmxwishes.com/blog.asp
          Author: Dreamweaver 8 e-book for the DMX Zone
          Co-Author: Dreamweaver MX: Instant Troubleshooter (August, 2003)
          Technical Editor: DMX 2004: The Complete Reference, DMX 2004: A Beginner's
          Guide, Mastering Macromedia Contribute
          Technical Reviewer: Dynamic Dreamweaver MX/DMX: Advanced PHP Web Development

"Marina_E" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
          news:eg0s7a$rco$1@forums.macromedia.com...
          > I've been trying to find out where to buy or download Dreamweaver
          > Coursebuilder, and have been having problems. I can't seem to find an
          > updated
          > version (compatible with Dreamweaver 8 instead of MX), can't find a
          > website
          > with pricing info, or even a free trial download site. Does anyone know
          > where I
          > could get this information? Or has Coursebuilder been discontinued?
          >
          > Thanks.
          >

• 2. Re: Dreamweaver Coursebuilder
            Marina_E Level 1
            Thanks, Nancy. Is the reason for that Adobe is focusing more on Breeze and/or Authorware? I'm trying to find a fairly user-friendly elearning creation tool, and Coursebuilder had certainly sounded like the answer. Would you have any idea of any suggested software for that?

Thanks again!

• 3. Re: Dreamweaver Coursebuilder
              TPK Level 1
              Greetings Marina_E,

Where I work we have started using Captivate to create LMS integrated e-learning solutions. The program appears to integrate easily with our LMS (Integrity Elearning Solution's Web Based Training Manager).

Captivate is easy to use (and an Adobe product, formerly a Macromedia product). There is a new version that has been announced, but we have been very happy with version 1.01.

Cheers,

TPK
              • 4. Re: Dreamweaver Coursebuilder
                Marina_E Level 1
                Thanks, TPK,

We had tried using Captivate, too, but were having lots of problems with bugs and problems. Specifically, we couldn't put a quiz together and have the user actually be able to "review" it. The buttons seemed to hang up. We had lots of other problems with the program. Have you really never had problems?? Maybe it's to do with our computer environment, link to the LMS, or something. Have you ever used the "review quiz" option with Captivate?

Thanks,

Marina
                • 5. Re: Dreamweaver Coursebuilder
                  TPK Level 1
                  Hi Marina_E,

Yes. Indeed we did have some flaky behavior when using the "review quiz" option. We think it had something to do with having had submitted the quiz results to the LMS before the review. I am hoping the new Captivate does not have this issue.

We employ a variety of solutions when creating content to be plugged into our LMS.

If the department doesn't want the review function employed, we generally use Captivate. If they do, we use a different approach. For that we use an XML file that feeds into an HTML page, unfortunately we don't have the same control over look and feel, nor the variety of question types, but it does allow a method of reviewing (and re-submitting).

To date we have employed the straight Javascript/HTML approach, the XML/HTML approach, a Flash/HTML, and the Captivate/HTML approach.
                  The Flash/HTML approach (for lessons and tests) takes the longest and is more resource intense, but provides re-usable templates. (And is very professional looking when done correctly.)
                  The XML/HTML approach (for tests) is very quick, but is somewhat inflexable and we have re-usable templates.
                  The Captivate/HTML approach (for lessons and some tests) is a godsend if we are creating interactive materials or recording a program in action. Very quick and easy to use.
                  The Javascript/HTML approach (for lessons) takes a bit of time but is very flexible. We can combine very different content types. We also sometimes use this approach with embedded SWF files (from Captivate) as content, but the underlying functionality is all Javascript/HTML.

For a particular Course (many SCOs and maybe a test or two) we often use a combination of the above.

TPK
                  • 6. Re: Dreamweaver Coursebuilder
                    Marina_E Level 1
                    Thanks, TPK.

Your info was much appreciated. By the way, have you ever used Flashform? I saw it on the site where CourseBuilder is now being sold, and it sounded like it would be great for building elearning. I haven't heard of it before though.

Marina
                    • 7. Re: Dreamweaver Coursebuilder
                      Level 7
                      I wouldn't touch anything that used Flash. Unless of course you want to
                      limit the audience that can use your web site.

"Marina_E" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
                      news:eg5v3j$4it$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                      > Thanks, TPK.
                      >
                      > Your info was much appreciated. By the way, have you ever used Flashform?
                      > I
                      > saw it on the site where CourseBuilder is now being sold, and it sounded
                      > like
                      > it would be great for building elearning. I haven't heard of it before
                      > though.
                      >
                      > Marina
                      >

• 8. Re: Dreamweaver Coursebuilder
                        Level 7
                        On Fri, 6 Oct 2006 12:26:38 -0700, "zippy" <zip@yppiz.info> wrote:

>I wouldn't touch anything that used Flash. Unless of course you want to
                        >limit the audience that can use your web site.

What's Flash's install base, 97% and growing? I get your point, but it
                        depends on your demographic.

Which of these sites do you think is running off their audience by
                        using Flash?

http://www.celinedion.com/
                        http://www.christinaaguilera.com/
                        http://www.bmw.com/com/en/index_highend.html
                        http://disney.com/
                        http://www.cartoonnetwork.com/

• 9. Re: Dreamweaver Coursebuilder
                          Level 7
                          Who says? Adobe? Hardly reliable figures.

Just realize more and more companies are blocking the additions of any
                          "extras" to browsers to fight security threats. So I would say it's actually
                          shrinking.

To each his own.

"Mister Mustard" <mustard@hotdog.com> wrote in message > What's Flash's
                          install base, 97% and growing? I get your point, but it
                          > depends on your demographic.

• 10. Re: Dreamweaver Coursebuilder
                            Level 7
                            On Fri, 6 Oct 2006 13:31:54 -0700, "zippy" <zip@yppiz.info> wrote:

>Who says? Adobe? Hardly reliable figures.

Point taken, but FWIW, I believe it has been included with Windows
                            since 98SE.

>Just realize more and more companies are blocking the additions of any
                            >"extras" to browsers to fight security threats. So I would say it's actually
                            >shrinking.

Could be, I use FlashBlock in Firefox and know other people who hate
                            it, but I think whether or not to use it has a lot to do with the
                            client.

>To each his own.

Amen.
                            >
                            >"Mister Mustard" <mustard@hotdog.com> wrote in message > What's Flash's
                            >install base, 97% and growing? I get your point, but it
                            >> depends on your demographic.
                            >