6 Replies Latest reply on Aug 28, 2009 7:42 AM by heathrowe

Fireworks CS4 Crashes

kwilliams75 Level 1

I just installed Fireworks CS4, and when I attempt to click on a layer for an image, this error message pops up twice:

An internal error has occurred.

An internal error has occurred.

It says the same thing twice, it continues on a loop when I keep clicking the ok button, and I have to go into Task Manager to stop the program. I just uninstalled and re-installed the program to no avail, so I am at a loss. Has anyone else had this happen? Why could this be happening?

Any help would be appreciated.

• 1. Re: Fireworks CS4 Crashes
          kwilliams75 Level 1

Wow, not one response from a moderator or anyone else. I really need some help with this, as I did just buy the product. Please help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• 2. Re: Fireworks CS4 Crashes
            heathrowe Most Valuable Participant

Install the update that was made available a few months back that has corrected some crash issues.

Get it here - http://www.adobe.com/support/fireworks/downloads_updaters.html

Once updated, go to Help > About and confirm that Fw is now version

You also mention 'Task Manager', so I can assume you are on Windows. Ensure you are using Fw with Full Administrator account previleges.

If you are not logged in with admin privileges, log into an account that does and see if Fw runs.

If you have limited account priviledges:

Then right-click on your Fireworks application icon (start menu, desktop, quick launch etc.), select 'Properties', select 'Compatibility' and then under the section 'Privilege Level', put a tick in the box 'Run this program as administrator'.

Nonetheless, definitely apply the new patch.

• 3. Re: Fireworks CS4 Crashes
              Nadia-P Level 5

This fix has helped others in the past - see if it works for you:  (in addition to installing the updater).

Restore default preferences

Quit Fireworks.

Locate the Fireworks  Preferences file on your hard disk and delete it. The exact location of this file varies from system to system.

In Windows, preferences are  in your user-specific Fireworks configuration folder.

Windows [Drive]:\Documents and Settings\[UserName]\Application Data\Adobe\Fireworks CS#\English\

In Mac OS, preferences are in  the Library/Preferences folder in your user folder. For information about locating your Mac OS user folder, see Apple Help.

Mac  [User]/Library/Preferences/Adobe Fireworks CS#/en/Fireworks Preferences

Note: On Mac OS, most  Fireworks user-specific configuration files are stored in your  user-specific Application Support folder.

The Fireworks CS4 Preferences file is an exception.

Restart Fireworks.The next time Fireworks is launched, a new preferences   file will be created that restores Fireworks to its original   configuration.

• 4. Re: Fireworks CS4 Crashes
                kwilliams75 Level 1

Awesome! Thanks for your suggestions. I'm installing the updates right now, and we'll see what happens. I'll note the result on another reply.

• 5. Re: Fireworks CS4 Crashes
                  kwilliams75 Level 1

Yea! It seemed to have fixed the problem, and it was a very strange issue. Anyway, THANKS!!!

• 6. Re: Fireworks CS4 Crashes
                    heathrowe Most Valuable Participant