5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 27, 2009 9:04 AM by the_wine_snob

AVCHD MP4 files settings

haasz

I'm working with AVCHD files: MP4 extension. they are shot with a Sanyo 1010 camera. settings in the camera are 720p 30FPS. Now I need to create settings but I can only choose a couple of default choises... which one do I take? I want to edit in PAL (I am living in Amsterdam) So I tried them all....

I'm also using DV files, SD quality, everything works fine with them.

But when I import the MP4 files things go wrong, I can only import 10 files at the time, otherwise the software crashes. So I took it slow, finally I had 300+ clips in my bin and 8 minutes in the timeline, I started rendering to watch a preview.... crash....

Why does Elements use so much memory for AVCHD files? Do I need some other codec?

• 1. Re: AVCHD MP4 files settings
          the_wine_snob Level 9

AVCHD files are very highly compressed. Just to uncompress them for editing requires a great deal of CPU power. Though some get by with Core Duo's, that are fast, most report that they need a Quad-core, and some even argue that dual Quads are necessary. As for RAM, if you have 32-bit OS, I'd look into bumping it up to 4GB, and if you have a 64-bit OS, 16GB RAM. Also, your I/O sub-system (your HDD's, their size, speed, controller type, free space and how they are allocated) will be important. For most material, that will be more important, than CPU. With AVCHD, the roles are reversed.

Now, you can probably optimize your system to the max., as this will also help you.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: AVCHD MP4 files settings
            the_wine_snob Level 9

This ARTICLE might give you some tips on optimizing your system for NLE work.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: AVCHD MP4 files settings
              haasz Level 1

I understand now that AVCHD files really use up a lot from my system. So I decided to spent a little money on a converter and everything works really smooth now...

The converter is Elecard Converter Studio, it takes some time but the quality looks really good after some testing (HDV 720p). I just have to 'explain' to elements that I am working with 16:9 footage!

chrs, Henk

• 4. Re: AVCHD MP4 files settings
                Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

That sounds like a great solution, Henk!

• 5. Re: AVCHD MP4 files settings
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Thank you for posting. Because of the newness of AVCHD, many common and popular converters do not handle this material.

Appreciated,

Hunt