5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 27, 2009 8:56 AM by silverhandphoto

color shift

silverhandphoto

I am having a huge color shift when importing a project that I had created in after effects into final cut. is there a setting I have missed in after effects? has anyone else had this issue and came up with a solution?

I gave the after effects animation a background color, it has to...I am animating and artists drawing. the colors of the background in ae differ from those in final cut even though they have the same rgb values....ready to pull my hair out!

thanks for the help!

• 1. Re: color shift
          Todd_Kopriva Level 8

We need to know a lot more to help you, starting with version numbers, footage types (codecs), and exactly what kind of "color shifts".

Without that information, I can take a stab in the dark and suggest that you read this section about QuickTime and gamma problems.

• 2. Re: color shift
            yenaphe Level 4

Quicktime is producing gamma **** due to the way it handles Gamma. That is true between Adobe and Apple apps, but also between Apple apps. So, you'll always have inconsistent gamma.... unless you upgrade to Snow Leopard. Apple announced that this problem was over with the new Quicktime X introduced with SnowLeo.

• 3. Re: color shift
              Todd_Kopriva Level 8

If Sebastien's right that what you're seeing is part of the QuickTime gamma crud, then you should certainly read that document that I pointed to, and the resources that it points to.

• 4. Re: color shift
                Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Yupp, read Todd's docs and his blog. Pretty much all the answers are there.

Mylenium

• 5. Re: color shift
                  silverhandphoto Level 1

Thanks for the suggestions and am reading up on them now....I am using AE 9.0.2 and Final Cut Pro 6.0.6.

I have an animation that has a background color that needs to match the background color of the final cut project...the colors don't match and I get a "halo" around the animation that is being placed. I am exporting quicktime animation out of AE with color management turned off...the final cut doc is HD....

As I said earlier, I am reading up some of the suggestions and am going to try the legacy setting in AE to see if that helps...plus, I am going to read up on color management....except that this project needs to be out the door later this afternoon...I have manually adjested the final cut background color to match, but I do not like sending something out not perfect!!

thanks again!