15 Replies Latest reply on Aug 27, 2009 7:05 PM by John T Smith

Premiere Pro can't play specific WMV files

unlucky17

Just installed Premiere Pro and imported some WMV files.  It plays back the audio but no video.

I know my computer has the correct codec for it because I can watch them in Windows Media Player without any problem.  Other WMV files and Mpeg files play in Premiere Pro just fine, but I can't understand why some WMV files play and some don't.

Is there a specific way to see what codec these files are using, and is there a way to test that Premiere Pro is picking up all of the codecs on my computer?

• 1. Re: Premiere Pro can't play specific WMV files
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

First, work through all of the steps here http://ppro.wikia.com/wiki/Troubleshooting

If your problem isn't fixed after you follow all of the steps, report back with the DETAILS asked for in the questions at the end of that link

See the Links in question 1

• 2. Re: Premiere Pro can't play specific WMV files
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Take a look at this ARTICLE for some background on what can be in those files. It's aimed at the .AVI format, but covers .MOV, .MPEG and .WMV also.

WMV is not a good general format to edit. The same can be said for many .MPEG files. Conversion is usually the best course, prior to Import.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: Premiere Pro can't play specific WMV files
              unlucky17 Level 1

I downloaded MediaInfo and it's telling me the codec in use is VC-1, which after reading a bunch of documentation is very standard and should be automatically installed with Windows Media Player versions 6.4 and above.

I can't find anywhere to download the standalone VC-1 codec because it's only written for older operating systems.  I'm assuming it is installed and correctly working considering I can watch the file in Windows Media Player.  Nothing else in either article seemed very relevant to this situation.. it was basically "make sure you have the right codec", and unless Microsoft's documentation and common knowledge about the codec are incorrect, it's installed and working properly.

• 4. Re: Premiere Pro can't play specific WMV files
                unlucky17 Level 1
                1. The codecs used in your source clips (use the FREE GSpot or MediaInfo to determine the codec) :: VC-1 (WMV3) (SP)
                2. Premiere Pro
                  1. Version number 4.1.0
                  2. Installation language :: English
                  3. Updates applied :: At first, none, but Adobe Updater ran and updated a whole bunch of things.  The update didn't fix anything.
                  4. Project/sequence settings :: Tried a couple already, none worked.  Currently I am using 1440x1080, 29.97 FPS, 48000 Hz Stereo.  The preset is AVCHD 1080i30 (60i) Anamorphic.
                3. Operating System
                  1. Name :: Windows XP Professional
                  2. Update/patch level :: Don't know how to find that other than in the System panel - Version 2002, Service Pack 3
                  3. Installed language :: English
                  4. Display resolution and color depth.:: Dual Monitor, both at 1280x1024, 32bit color (not that this would really affect anything)
                4. CPU type and speed :: Intel Core2 Duo, 2.40GHz per core
                5. Amount of memory (RAM) :: 2 GB of RAM
                6. Video card
                  1. Manufacturer :: ATI
                  2. Model :: Unknown
                  3. Driver version :: Unknown
                7. Number of monitors (displays) in use :: 2
                8. Audio card
                  1. Manufacturer
                  2. Model
                  3. Driver version
                9. Each hard drive's capacity and space remaining
                  1. Disk setup (partitions used, raid configuration, what is where for OS/projects/media/scratch/audio)
                10. Hardware capture device
                  1. Manufacturer
                  2. Model
                  3. Driver version number
                11. Capture software
                  1. Name
                  2. Company
                  3. Version
                12. Comprehensive list of third-party plug-ins you installed.
                13. Exact text of any error messages
                14. Explain clearly what you want to do, what you are doing and what the result is :: Want to edit video, video isn't showing up.  Dragging video from the library to the timeline.  Other files work, my WMV files don't.
                15. Be sure to mention if it is something that worked before using the same procedure
                16. Very importantly: Post details of troubleshooting you have already done to avoid "did that" reponses to questions people ask when trying to help. :: Checked for a standalone version of VC-1 Codec.. couldn't find it.  Found out that it's supposed to come standard with WMP11, so I re-installed it, twice, still no change.  Restarted the computer and software several times.  Tested other formats of video and even other WMV files and it works fine.
                • 5. Re: Premiere Pro can't play specific WMV files
                  unlucky17 Level 1

For what it's worth, I ran a program called SHERLOCK, and it says I have 3 broken video codecs:

- MainConcept H.264/AVC Decoder

- MainConcept H.264/AVC Video Encoder

- MainConcept MPEG Video Encoder

All 3 of them have some mention of Adobe, too.

When getting to the screen that shows all of them, I don't specifically see VC-1 installed, but I do see names that I would associate to it, like Windows Media Video Decoder, Microsoft Video 1, WMVideo Decoder DMO... etc.

My god, this is so ridiculous.  I used to run Premiere Elements and never, ever ran into a problem like this.  Ever since I got this it's been nothing but problems.  4 days later on a time-critical project and I still can't get a damn thing to work like it's supposed to.

• 6. Re: Premiere Pro can't play specific WMV files
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

You must remember that having the proper CODEC properly installed, and playing a file, is no indication that an NLE can use it to edit. There is a great difference between playing a file, and editing that same file.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: Premiere Pro can't play specific WMV files
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

These are "false positives." Both G-Spot and Sherlock will report the same thing. Adobe uses a different naming convention to "hide" their CODEC's to keep other programs from overwriting them. Neither of these two programs can properly find them. They are 99.9% guaranteed to be installed correctly. This is common, and nothing to worry about.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 8. Re: Premiere Pro can't play specific WMV files
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Actually, PrE is more lenient with regards to many file formats and CODEC's, that are not designed to be edited. It got .VOB support (for 100% DVD-compliant .VOB's), well before PrPro did. PrPro is designed to edit editable formats and CODEC's, and not so much for delivery CODEC's. WMV is a delivery format, and not designed to be edited.

Can you possibly go back, before the source footage was Exported/converted to .WMV? Can you not convert these .WMV files to DV-AVI Type II files? Either of those would be preferable to trying to edit a delivery format.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 9. Re: Premiere Pro can't play specific WMV files
                          Jim_Simon Level 8
                          I can't understand why some WMV files play and some don't.

The "whys" of it aside, that is the reality of editing such media.  Your best bet is to simply not use it.  Premiere works best with pro camera formats.  For consumer deliverable media, try a consumer software editor.  Windows Movie Maker specifically might work well with those .wmv files.

• 10. Re: Premiere Pro can't play specific WMV files
                            Harm Millaard Level 7
                            Premiere works best with pro camera formats.

Unfortunately, that is not true.  It works best with video cameras in the con/prosumer range and a few select Pro cameras like the Red. It does not support XDCAM50, HDCAM-SR, and number of other PRO cameras.

• 11. Re: Premiere Pro can't play specific WMV files
                              Jim_Simon Level 8

That's a good point, Harm.  It can be difficult to draw the line in a simple, easily understandable way.  For example, I would consider HDV and AVCHD as purely consumer formats, but Premiere does work with them, and I'm sure there are professionals somewhere using those formats, so I would consider them included when I say "pro" camera media.

I suppose I could just say "Premiere works best with standard camera formats" in a situation like this.  It's not a complete statement, to be sure, but it probably gets the main point across, that being consumer software is probably a better choice when working with consumer media like .wmv files.

• 12. Re: Premiere Pro can't play specific WMV files
                                unlucky17 Level 1

I'm not the one capturing the source footage in the first place, it's being delivered to me in WMV.  The footage is coming from a capture card, not directly from any sort of camera.  To be more specific, it's video game footage recorded via capture card.. the only reasonable way to get the footage in high quality.  The WMV thing I'm sure is just a restriction of whoever made the software that captures the video.

I also tried to use some conversion software and it lost a lot of it's quality after conversion.  I wonder if I can get a copy of Elements, instead (Pro was off a work license).  From the sounds of it, it seems like Elements is better for WMV files, and since I used elements before and edited all kinds of file types without this problem ever coming up, I'm more inclined to go that route, or just steer away from Adobe entirely if they really can't convert media in such a common format (and if it's not that they "can't", it seems more like they refuse to, which is ridiculous).

Well, outside of that I guess I can't get any further than just being SOL with Pro and this file type.

• 13. Re: Premiere Pro can't play specific WMV files
                                  Jim_Simon Level 8
                                  video game footage

Definitely try consumer software.

(Pro was off a work license).

Not sure that's legal.

• 14. Re: Premiere Pro can't play specific WMV files
                                    John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Well, it seems that the person creating the files is doing so in a DELIVERY format that is really not meant to be edited

Converting to DV AVI Type 2 with 48khz sound would work a lot better in any flavor of Premiere

Or... use the free Windows Movie Maker that comes with Windoze

• 15. Re: Premiere Pro can't play specific WMV files
                                      Stan Jones Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The WMV thing I'm sure is just a restriction of whoever made the software that captures the video.

It may well be a choice the person made when recording.  I'd check, if the project really matters.  They might benefit from using a better method.